1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UPS and FED EX ......won't ship ammo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pheasantsgalore, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

UPS and FED EX ......won

Went to both FedEx and UPS in my town, and both stated I had to be an "authorized weapons dealer" to ship small arms ammo. Anyone know if this has always been the case, or is it just that the people I spoke to are just too uneducated as to the legalities? I guess I thought as long as you have the ORM-D sticker on box, and ship vis ground, there is no problem. Anyone know what the laws really are????????????????? .......Thanks,.......Rob

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Did you go to a "store" (UPS store or Fedex Kinkos)? If so, you need to go to a hub, you can ship ammo through there. I've done ammo through UPS, will go through fedex next time as its significantly cheaper.

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

This law is always true - Beware of little people in positions of power.

4. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Go to the FedEx web site and down load the regulations. High light want you need and take them with you. Saves a lot of arguments. Just as a giggle, the FedEx hub that I use tells me that all "guns" have to be shipped Over Night Express as in shot "gun". A rifle isn't a gun because it has a different mechanisim. And the beat goes on.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

5. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

One phone call to the Hazmat Support Team @ 800.554.9964 worked. Ammo is being picked up by courier today. I'd say more, but I am surprised at some peoples' total lack of education, not wanting to verify info, and just overall stupidity. Amazes me sometimes !!!!!

6. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

I tried to ship a machine gun thru a ups store once. They went nuts,called all over the place ,looked at me like I was a terrorist,ran whispering to each other into the back room ,etc. The ups stores are a whole different animal from the hubs,not that the hubs don't have their fair share of litle people in positions of authority.

7. jjv1234

jjv1234 Member

Some places that accept shipments for UPS/Fed Ex, i.e. an office supply store, will not accept ammo for shipments. As someone posted above, go to an actual UPS or Fed Ex hub, or better yet, I always have the delivery guy pick up for me. The cost is usually $3-4 per pick up which is much cheaper than my time and gas to go to the hub myself. It is very simple, set up an online account with shipper of your choice, package the item yourself making sure the box is labeled ORM-D, print your shipping label online then use "Schedule a Pickup"; they are usually there next day with no questions asked.

8. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I have never had a problem one shipping anything including guns of all sorts and ammo through the FedEx hub in my home town. It doesn't hurt to know the person at the counter either. It has been so trouble free for me that I won't even go to the others anymore.

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Some of the store franchise owners do not want to bother with certain types of freight. Once I tried to ship a gun through a UPS store and the guy freaked out when I wanted to insure my gun for $10,000.00 grand. He then told me he could not accept the shipment. I had to go the nearest terminal of UPS to ship my gun and insure it.

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The UPS Store and the kinko'/ Fedex employees are knuckle dragging retards. Well, Functioning retards ( That means they can wipe there own asses) anything other then shipping a box of widgets they get all flustered and start babbling about things they know nothing about. just take your stuff to the main hubs and you will have no trouble shipping ammo or guns. Jeff

11. Rick Barker

Pat (P3AT) I don't know enough to dispute what you say, but I have shipped other guns from the storefronts, but the only time I encountered resistance was when I tried to insure the gun for 10,000.00, and that is when the guy freaked. He never did before with the other guns I shipped and it was almost like he felt he was responsible for the insurance himself.

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I haven't had any problem with UPS as long as I have these lables on the package.

Feel free to copy and print your own.

[​IMG]

13. Rick Barker

Here is ATF regs as of 2002 on shipping firearms:

"A nonlicensee may ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state.

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922(a)(2)(A) and 922(e), 27 CFR 178.31]

A nonlicensee may ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

A signature is required each time a firearm is delivered by a shipper, or common or contract carrier to verify the acknowledgment of the receipt of the firearm. A signature of the FFL maintained on file by the shipper is not an acceptable alternative."

14. Rick Barker

Here are regs on ammo shipping:

"Title 49 CFR states in Chapter 1, section 173.63 the packaging exceptions to full regulation. Under that section, (b) Cartridges, small arms, may be reclassed, and offered for transportation, and transported as ORM–D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM–D material is limited to:

Under this “limited to” section, there is item (i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol or shotgun; and (iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shot shells.

This is the critical part to shipping ammunition. If it is 50 caliber or less, or 8 gauge or less, UPS will take the shipment in a sturdy box marked with a ORM-D, Cartridges, Small Arms label on the outside of the box. UPS does recommend using this label as opposed to a regular ORM-D label from our research and inquiries to UPS themselves. Part 172, subchapter E states the label should be affixed near the shipping address location on the package. By placing it here, the carrier will see it as they direct the package to the correct location during shipment.

Now, under section 173.115, part (v) it states that cartridges, and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packaging. The label marking is the same as above."

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I had to send ammo back to Rem and they sent me the stickers for the box. This was about 2004. I didn't have any problems what so ever. My guess is the people behind the counter saw that it was ammo and 2 + 2 =4 and didn't like guns. I think someone said it above, copy the rules of the shipping co and show it to them. If that does not work then stand infront of them and call the headquartes to the shipping co. Have them explain things to them. DON"T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER.

16. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

i once tried to ship the stock and forearm off a Winchester Model 42 thru our local UPS "store." Not even the stock bolt - just the wood. I obviously erred and told them the truth when asked what I was shipping - gun stock and forearm . . . . . . . instead of saying a piece of wood. They refused to accetpt the items for shipment.

that's the last time I've darkened their door. Luckily there's a UPS hub only a couple of miles away if I need to use UPS.

Re: the stock and forearm - took it to the local post office with no issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.