1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Upper body exercise?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Since I've been on a diet & have lost 32 lbs my upper body strength is really diminished & my scores have gone into the toilet. Looking for any advice for an exercise routine for shooting. I'm 67 & trying to build up muscle mass at this age ain't easy. I have access to a complete gym. Trying not to employ a full time personal trainer.

Phil Berkowitz

2. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Phil, Try mounting your gun repeatedly until you begin to tire. Rest and repeat process for three sets. Depending on degree of aches and pains repeat every day or every other day. Although this will not develope your entire upper body it should help with the muscles you use for shooting. Marc

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Phil,

I, too, am 67. The most important thing my Social Security check pays for is my gym membership. I spend the first 10 - 15 minutes streching and using a couple of machines that exercise my abs and lower back. Then I spend 30 minutes on the treadmill. I alternate walking an jogging. Next I use 10 weight machines for upper body workout. I use machines because they insure range of motion and don't let me over extend or hurt myself...as long as I warm up. I finish with about 6 laps in the pool. I do this 3 days a week. I have just lost 25 + lbs and have really not noticed a loss of strength. I am, obviously, committed to my health first and everything will fall into place where ever it wants.

Consistant practice and lifting the gun can't hurt either.

Good Luck,
    JON

4. maka

maka Member

Just a suggestion: Take two soup cans, one in each hand. Do 25 arm curls then bend forward, bending your knees. Sort of like scwatting. With both hands between your knees, reach over your head 25 reps. Do this once in morning and early eve.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

At our age, we don't want to build muscle mass, we want to build endurance. That requires many reps of relatively light weight. You don't want to tear the muscles down with heavy weight and then try to rebuild them; you want to strengthen the slow-twitch muscles fibers you already have. They will bulk up as that happens.

MK

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Go to the gym daily and let a trainer give you a daily work out form. That will do you more good then anything else.

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I was always a fan of 12 oz. curls. From the looks of things, I may be on the right track. ;-)

8. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

Speaking as a crappy trapshooter, but a certified strength and conditioning coach, I can tell you that you can build strength and endurance at any age. If you're new to weight training, start slowly, and work on what is actually a four-part program: strength work (get the information from almost any weight-training book in your local library); endurance work such as jogging, swimming, biking, or using machines in the gym like a treadmill, or even better, an elliptical training machine: flexibility work; balance work; and proper nutrition.
    It sounds like a lot, but you can do flexibility and balance work at home in less than 15 minutes a day. The strength and endurance work can be done three times a week within an hour.
    You can begin with situps and pushups(from your knees if you can't do regular ones). This is only a start, but you have to start somewhere.

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I will tell you that if you do start to go to a gym like you should you will feel better, your joints will loosen to a better point, getting in and out of a car you will not be as stiff, your endurance will inprove. You not only need to build up your upper body but your foundation as well. Your legs. Just like a building if you don't have a good foundation your going to have problems.

10. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Diet and exercise go together. A gym membership would be money well spent and many have trainers to help you and offer advice on excercise and diet.

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Phil, sex,and LOTS of it.

Oops, at 67 that may not work. Just a thought.

GneJ

12. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Phil,

I never like lifting weights. A few years ago, I started doing pushups. I was weak and out of shape, so I started with 3 sets of 10 with lots of rest in between (breathing was more of a problem than the exercise itself). I tried to do this 5 times a week. I added one to the sets each week, so next week I did 3 of 11, etc. I ended up six months later doing 3 sets of 30 with not too much rest in between. For my age then, about 50, I felt it was a pretty good performance.

The week after I reached 30 reps, we went on a 11-day cruise and I quit. I've been trying to get back to it ever since.

I also believe chins and dips are good for you. If you go to a gym with a weight-assisted chin/dip machine, you can reduce the weight you lift. You can slowly take weight off each week until you can do your body weight.

Push ups, chins and dips are natural movements. Every weight lifter I know my age ends up with injuries.

Also, for the past two summers I have been swimming in my neighborhood pool. I used a Finis swimmers snorkel so I get the movement and don't have to worry about drowning. Great upper body workout and also for your heart and lungs, without pounding your knees and hips.

Danny

13. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Since your scores have diminshed due to your weight loss......did you adjust your gun fit after the loss to accommodate the change in your body?

Jim C

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I'm seeing, my stock person in two weeks. Will have a new stock made for at least one of my guns. I may even get a second stock made, if it is necessary. Just got my old 391 back & that gun was fit for me when I was much slimmer.

Phil Berkowitz

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Take a quart bottle of beer, hold it at arms length and slowly bring it to your mouth for a large drink. Do this many times a day. You will at least feel much stronger and act much younger.

If you don't like beer, you could mow your grass twice a week. Another excellent genera body exercise (both strength and endurance) is swimming 30 laps three or four times a week. When I was younger I did that and I felt much younger than I do today.

Pat Ireland

16. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Phil Do the gun lifts like Marc stated I did them while I was sitting on the edge of the bed all winter after my foot surgery and what a difference in upper body and arm strength , now I am working trying to get the muscles built backup in my legs. Give Denny a call or Dean there agree to the gun lifts you'll use the muscles you don't use normally. Pat.k.

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I also think pushups to be a great all around upper body trainer, If you are not able to do full push ups start with girl style presses with your knees on the floor. Do a few reps with breaks to let your shoulders and chest warm up. strech before and after.

18. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Pat,

I have been doing your exercises for five years. I'm not stronger, but who gives a rat's ass?

Danny

19. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have two 6 pound hand weights. I do two exercises with them. First one is to raise both arms 90 degrees to the side (together). Then slowly bring them down to my side. Do 30 reps max. Second exercise is to raise just one 90 degrees in front of me while keeping the other at my side. Then while lowering one I raise the other. Do 30 reps with each arm max. I usually do two sets of 30 reps of both exercises each day. Both of these exercises help my back.

When I have neglected these exercises for a few months I find that I can barely do 20 reps. It takes me a couple of weeks of exercise to be able to do the 30 reps. I am 65 years old.

Jim Skeel

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Keep in mind that forceful exercises (strength) are very different from endurance exercises. They do different things to our bodies. Look at the body of a weight lifter and a cross country runner. Endurance exercises are probably more beneficial to trap shooting than strength exercises.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.