1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrading To An XT ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull-it!, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

My 15 year old daughter has shot trap for 2 years and is starting her third! Have been shooting a BT-99 and thinking about helping her upgrade to a Browning XT or a Browning Special Trap Edition. The top of the budget on this upgrade is between $1200 - $1500. Anybody have one or know of any better ideas for the money? Just curious?

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Youll find them if you look. Make sure shes built up for it tho XT lil heavier then BT.

Good Luck

Jerry

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

You have not given us any information on why you think a switch to a Browning XT is a good idea for a 15 year old girl so I will only suggest that she tries one before making a committment.

4. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

If she is shooting the BT well, there is no need to move to a XT, unless she wants to shoot doubles.

5. tincanman

tincanman Member

XT - much heavier gun. Well, maybe not that much heavier, but with O/U barrel, it will be front heavy compared to the BT99. I've shot both and the BT is much easier to swing.

I agree with Mr Chrome. Unless she's going to shoot doubles, stick with the BT.

6. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

This is the exact feedback I am looking for! Not sure if there is a real reason for wanting to switch other than she thinks she wants a different gun. She shoots the BT just fine and the fit is great. I guess I am just looking for someone to tell me or her why not to switch. Don't see any doubles in the near future, just Handicap and singles.

7. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Hard to beat what she has...at any price. Two barrels are not nearly as comfortable...INMHO.

FWIW I just bought a XT to back up my 99...but it won't be my primary gun...just got it for a back up and a doubles gun, that's all..

Stan...

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I would have to concur that going to a XT is not necessarily an "upgrade". Just like it was said if she is shooting the BT well stick with it.

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Pull-it, PM sent. Regards, Ed

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I think this forum is full of shooters that just had to have a different gun. The ole "Grass is greener......." thing. Don't do it. She will spend a good deal of time learning the new gun and just trying to get where she is already with the BT99. It also may not fit near as well requiring additional costs and measures to make it fit her properly. Of course many of us were told this same thing and had to find out the hard way. Stubborn, bullheaded, stupid??? Not sure which.

11. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I started Trap last April with a new XT - found a small crack in the forearm and while Browning took 4 months to fix it I bought a new BT 99 to use in the interim - Got the XT back and it's been in the closet ever since. Nice gun but is heavier out front and I don't shoot doubles (yet) and found the BT 99 much better for what I was doing.

rm

12. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Tell here that I started with a BT, then shot another BT, then a XT, then a ljutic dynokic, then a k80 then a BT-99+ than a Citori Trap then a ljutic monogun and now a CG. Funny thing is the BT's shot some of my best scores. BT's are hard to beat.

13. rrose

rrose TS Member

I have a differnt idea, if the BT99 is a newer version get her a Precision Fit Stock for it. That way she can have it set up to fit her like it was custom made for her and the recoil will go down to nill both of which should help her shoot better scores. Most people regard the BT as a very good trap gun so not sure an XT would be better but making the gun fit is one of the most inportant
    things you can do to shoot better and the PFS will certainly do that. Just an idea to think about.
    randy

14. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Stay with the bt. Send her to a clinic. Much better money spent. My 2 cents. :)

15. shrek

shrek Active Member

Stick with the bt99

as many mentioned here already, an XT is a beast of a gun in comparison.

Several of us where I shoot jokingly describe an XT as about as graceful as a railroad tie and we are not that far off...

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I would consider that a downgrade

17. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

XT, about like swinging a 2X8. Trust me, I have two...Perazzi TM1 (SBT like a BT 99) no compairson.... Just MHO......

18. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Thank you everyone for your info. We are convinced that the BT is the way it was meant to be and will continue that very same way. Thanks again for all of the input.

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Thats a great choice for her and if and when she wants an upgrade, the BT will sell twice as fast and hold the value better

20. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I think you'll be happier staying with the BT-99. Every time I think about a BT-99 it remindes me of my first experence of being totally humbled. We all showed up at a shooting range one day with our fancy Perazzi's and Kregoff's to shoot. There was an old guy sitting on a bench smoking a cigerette. The old guy got squaded with us and he broke out his ratty looking BT-99. That old guy sent us all home with our tail between our legs. I have held old guys and BT-99 in high reguard since. They are nice guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.