1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrade 1100 to Home Defense

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbifulco, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

You can do it yourself. It all depends how far you want to go. You probably will want a stock, maybe a shorter barrel, the options are almost endless. I turned a fixed 28 mod vent rib with some pitting in the receiver into a tactical shotgun just a few months ago.

I will take a couple pics and post them with what I did if it would help you.

Joe

2. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

Herb,

Here is my gun, this used to be a 28" vent rib 1100 field gun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I removed the rib and shortened the barrel to 18 1/4"
    added a 2 shot mag extension, single point sling, Remington stock, tactical bolt handle, tritium bead, and a 6 round shell carrier. I shot the whole thing with flat earth DuraCoat.

I probably spent around $300.00 and a couple of hours to transform the gun. There are a bunch of on line vendors, just google "1100 accessories"

Joe

3. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

[​IMG]

Devastator 1100 Tactical with forward spring kit.

4. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

Ken,

Where did you find the forward spring kit? I really like the adjustable AR style stock.

Joe

5. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

http://www.elitetacticaladvantage.com/products/shotguns/devastator/devastator.html

6. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

Thanks.

7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

If you intend to shoot USPSA Tactical competition, make sure your
    extension tube holds at least 8 rounds.

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

We need more info on what you really mean by "tactical". If it is the tactical division of 3 gun competition there are some limitations. If you mean something for home defense instead of hunting that's another thing. Do you intend to shoot mostly slugs? If so you need sights because slugs turn a shotgun into a short range rifle. I don't like red dots and fancy sights on a defense shotgun because the strength of the shotgun for defense is the quick and natural way of getting it into action, keep it simple. So a big bead or even nicer a big tritium bead is all you need.

The pistol grip stock is overated, it is good for holding the gun one handed and reloading in some instances but it is not as natural for most people to shoulder quickly and hit with. You must shoulder and shoot in order to hit even with a shotgun.

An extended mag tube is good as long as it is good quality and you secure it to the barrel with at least on heavy duty clamp. If you put one on make sure you test your gun well because they can be the source of malfunctions. Do not use any of the plastic followers. A side saddle is ok for extra rounds but think about if your really need them or not, don't overtighten it or it will cause malfunctions especially with Benellis and Berettas.

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

silverbulletexpress "You must shoulder and shoot in order to hit even with a shotgun."

Never heard of point shooting, huh?

GneJ

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Here's the ticket for home defense...

Get an 1100 smoothbore slug barrel with rifle sights, either fixed choke or screw in choke (I prefer a mod choke).

Then replace the sights with Trijicon RE-01 tritium night sights.

I installed these on my 1187 camo turkey gun for night hunting coyotes.

11. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Hippie I've not only heard of hip shooting I've seen people try it. From what I've seen it's not the technique to rely on when your life is on the line which is what a tactical gun infers to me. It does look cool and the heroes in the movies do well with it. If you put the bead or sight on something your going to hit it, I would rather depend on that. Too many people think a shotgun is an area weapon and doesn't need to be aimed, easy to prove them wrong on the range. And no I'm not talking about shooting trap from the hip I'm referring to real life combat scenarios.

12. Brian in Oregon

Have anyone who thinks a shotgun is an area weapon try to clear bowling pins off a picnic table.

13. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

My home defense gun is a Mod. 870 with a 20" cyl. barrel and extended mag. I just got lucky and found the gun cheap with the 20" barrel already on it. The pump is more reliable and as for the barrel you can take any length and have it cut and crowned and have a front bead installed. Any barrel, no matter how it's choked will be straight cyl after cutting 2" off the end so making it shorter is only good to help you maneuver in tight quarters. 1100's are great but don't let it sit and collect dirt. You mentioned dragging through the mud; the 1100 won't tolerate that without malfunctioning. Synthetic stocks are fine if you want the look.

If you want competition 3-gun tactical, that's a different matter.

IMHO. Mark

14. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Maybe a speedloader carrier release. Brownels has then for around 30 bucks. Makes loading in the dark "by feel" much easier.

15. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Without a bayonet lug, these things are not complete. There is an experimental 1100 trench gun in the Remington factory equipped with the Model 1917 bayonet. I have a picture of it around here somewhere.

16. Brian in Oregon

Mr. Flinch, quote: <i>"I would never have a home defense shotgun with rifle type sights. Why try to shoot through those things quickly? Use the shotgun alignment for quick shooting (sorta like shooting birds); a slug barrel is no advantage unless you want to shoot slugs, especially if it has rifle sights...."</i>

[​IMG]

Utter nonsense. Rifle sights are no slower than a shotgun bead if you are willing to practice using them.

Those two holes were put into a coyote running at full speed in a dense forest 20 yards from me with an 1187 with rifle sights shooting slugs. The second slug hit before the coyote piled up, and he piled up DRT (Dead Right There). I've also done tactical shotgun competitions going back to the early 1980s, and rifle sights do not take a back seat to a bead under these conditions. It's a matter of practice.

And I'm guessing you apparently have never used tritium night sights, because if you had you would know these are a definite tactical advantage in low light conditions compared to a shotgun barrel and bead that you may not be able to see. I night hunt coyotes under moonlit conditions, sitting in brush and shadow that otherwise black out the entire barrel. Only the three dots show me where the barrel is. This is an extremely fast sighting system in the dark.

17. Brian in Oregon

Sarge, quote: <i>"then what needs to be made tactical is your hard heart and mind to accept the homicide charge when you use it."</i>

LOL. More utter nonsense.

18. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Brian,
    Great home defense shot. I'm sure that Coyote had you scared that he was going to kill you in your own home. Was he packing a gun himself? Were you shaking in fear while trying to line up those sights? You're a great shot and I doubt I could do what you did but instead of bragging about your prowess concerning hunting shots why don't we stick to reality of home defense. (It's in the title of this thread). If you can't see the shotgun you're shooting then how can you identify a target as a threat? Would you like to shoot a police officer that accidentally got the wrong address? Maybe you could even hit the home invader in the belly button if you had a low power scope and night vision. Yes, I've shot tritium night sights, maybe not as well as you (how many people in the real world practice that much?). Have you been in a real home defense situation? If so then I apologize to you but considering that I have and I thank God every day that I didn't have to pull the trigger, I will always make my best recommendation based on what happened to me. I can hit a trap target from our club parking lot at night and only by pointing the gun because it fits me and I don't even have to look at the sights, so what? that proves nothing! No, I won't discuss it and I don't normally lower myself to respond to people that call my opinions nonsense. Thats all I'm saying about this. Mark.

19. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Herb, the guys who fake up trench guns are getting their stuff somewhere. The "black gun" websites and Numrich would be my first places to look.

20. Brian in Oregon

Mr. Flinch, quote: <i>"Brian, Great home defense shot. I'm sure that Coyote had you scared that he was going to kill you in your own home. Was he packing a gun himself? Were you shaking in fear while trying to line up those sights? You're a great shot and I doubt I could do what you did but instead of bragging about your prowess concerning hunting shots why don't we stick to reality of home defense. (It's in the title of this thread). If you can't see the shotgun you're shooting then how can you identify a target as a threat? Would you like to shoot a police officer that accidentally got the wrong address? Maybe you could even hit the home invader in the belly button if you had a low power scope and night vision. Yes, I've shot tritium night sights, maybe not as well as you (how many people in the real world practice that much?). Have you been in a real home defense situation? If so then I apologize to you but considering that I have and I thank God every day that I didn't have to pull the trigger, I will always make my best recommendation based on what happened to me. I can hit a trap target from our club parking lot at night and only by pointing the gun because it fits me and I don't even have to look at the sights, so what? that proves nothing! No, I won't discuss it and I don't normally lower myself to respond to people that call my opinions nonsense. Thats all I'm saying about this. Mark."</i>

Mark, it's good to see you know your personal limitations and have decided self-defense with a firearm is not suitable for yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
counterfeit trench guns llc
devastator shotgun
devastator shotgun kit

home defense 1100

remington 1100 accessories

remington 1100 devastator

remington 1100 duracoat
remington 1100 tactical stock