1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

$uper $croll $quirrel $hotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hap MecTweaks, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Here's a few pictures of my old squirrel gun that I shot to the 27 yard line with. It was in my hands when I won a car shoot in Las Vegas in 1974 breaking a 98. It was stolen and gone for several years and I finally got it back after buying other guns to compete with.

This is the gun I'll shoot my last ATA targets with one day and hand it off to my grand-son when my last shots are fired.

I'd like to thank Howard $imon for helping me get my old gun to this point, he did an amazing job considering what he began with! Thanks H.$imon, I love the work and the old keepsake!

I hope you all enjoy this old gun as I know most shooters will!!

Hap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

Looks like Howard dows nice work! Beautiful gun!

3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Interested in hearing the story about how you got it back. Maybe when Matt introduces me at the Grand you can tell the story over some peach ice cream.

Beautiful gun, glad you were able to reunite with it.

Bryan

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Hap, Beautiful! BTW...hate to tell you this, but they forgot to put the rib back on.

Rosey

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Hap,

That is one dandy of a squirrel gun. I'll bet they took one look at that M 12 and just gave up:)

You gonna tell me that you made it to the fence with a slide gun without a rib? You old fellers are a tough act to follow;)

ss

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It turned out beautiful Hap. I really liked how she looked before the bluing but WOW is she beautiful now. That is one fine squirrel machine buddy. I'll say it again, WOW!!

See you in a few weeks.

7. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Peach ice cream!!! Count me in on that.
    Those model 12's are one hell of a gun. You shot my custom 870 pretty darn good too as I recall I'llsee u soon Hap.

Tom

8. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Love the gun and the engraving is perfect for a M12.
    Gary Owen

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Should have had a squirrel engraved where a pigeon usually is. d;o}

10. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

If one word would describe that shotgun it would have to be BEAUTIFUL. Model 12's are IMHO nice to start with but that one goes way above and beyond nice. I know you are proud to own such a fine shotgun. (Drul drul, slobber slobber)

11. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

Hap,

Your grandson is one lucky guy. That's a gorgeous M12! Thanks for posting the story and pictures.

Pat

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Real Nice Gene... Tell us the story

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Beautifull gun

14. Hap MecTweaks

Thanks guys!! I knew most would enjoy seeing my old squirrel gun all dressed up and ready for the woods action! Many a squack and quail/grouse has succumbed! Tough on birds too close though and limits were scarce and I've always hated wasting shells, otherwise missing.

Barry, I wish I would've thought to have Howard add a squirrel where a pigeon would be!! Did you guys know that Winchester speciality shop would sell a pigeon grade without a rib?

The first mid-bead I installed was a cloths-pin whittled down in the form of a ramp with the mid-bead glued in and contured to fit the barrel conture, also glued on. Yes, I earned my way to the 27 with this gun shooting alone from the 26 yard line. Worked all night the night before, got about 3 hours of sleep Sunday morning. Made it to Marietta GC in time to get signed up for the last squad of handicaps. 96 was the high score that day and I managed to shoot a 95 and got the half yard I needed to make it to the 27. After paying my entry fees, options and for new AAs! My winnings for the day was $.25 cents!! Not exactly Big Dog winnings??

Shooting it from the 27 and hearing the spectators comments while shooting is the reason I began using muffs and plugs to prevent hearing the comments. Some clubs 27 yard line was real close to the sidewalks! I can still hear those comments too! "Lookie there! That guys gun ain't even got a rib!!" Another would chime in, "yeah but he's smokin targets from back there!" After soaking all this up I'd hear that old familiar greeting from the scorekeeper, lost!

In the very early 70s I was shooting practice at Bob Taylors in Las Vegas. Since there were only three of us shooting that day, Bob came up with the idea we should shoot a round from the 27 for $10 bucks! I said no way! Bob was a 21 yard shooter, Earnie Austin was a good 27 yard ahooter and I was on the 23 at the time. I wasn't about to just give my hard earned cash away though! I suggested we shoot from in front of the clubhouse, use new shells from the Pro-Shop and play for fifty bucks? They thought that was a fantastic idea!! Here's this hill billy with a squirrel gun and no way can he beat us! First round Bob Taylor broke 3 targets, Earnie broke 9 and the squirrel gun kid broke a 17!! After I got my money, Bob suggested they have a chance to get their money back so I said sure, same distance! Results were, Bob had a total of about 7, Earnie had a total of 20 and me, a total of 32 or 33? A couple months later, I had another yard added to my card at the old Mint GC via the western VP during the Fall Handicap shoot!! Bob dropped a dime on me and used his friends on the CHC to make it happen! Oh well? BTW, in front of the clubhouse was 52 measured yards! I knew I'd have to get Earnie away from his comfort zone to stand a chance of beating them.

Yes, this old gun has loaded my memory bank with great shooting memories! Don't ever sell a good squirrel gun short?

Bryan, I'll tell you the story of my gun being stolen at Sparta.

Hap

15. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Glad you have gotten what you had returned to.there are always mdl12 stories from most of us. They all brIng fond memories, mine came when I sold mine for what I paid for it.

16. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

hi hap thnks for putting up the pictures and the nice comments. i like the title of the thread also. i can put a squarel on the mag. band that would be a first.it is a nicely nice mdl. 12. ps i can see the $ sign engraved in the first picture.thnks again howard

17. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Wow Hap, after what you and that gun did together losing it must have been tough. That is some serious scratchin'.

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Hap, Who did the blueing?

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Hi Hap. The Winchester Custom shop would do about anything anyone would be willing to pay for. Enjoy your gun.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Howard, thank you for all you've done in helping me restore my old gun my friend!! You did a great job, way more than I expected and for such a pittance too!!! If it's alright by you, I should post your phone number here in case any of the guys want to embellish one of their favorites? Send me an email and let me know and I will post your contact info here!! I'll see you at the Grand soon $.

Setterman, I had a local man do the prep for the gun to be engraved, Al Lingham. Once it was home again from Howard, Al also blued it for me.

Wireguy, that certainly was a tough time to go through my friend! I don't know how many nights sleep I lost figuring out who took all my guns from my home. I did get two model 12s back eventually though, this one and a 20 ga.. The 20 was headed toward Mexico when the CHPs stopped the car, the car also was stolen.

Thanks Barry!! I'm truly enjoying my old gun now and the best part is yet to come! I even shot a few doubles with it years ago. Never did shoot many doubles and a 95 was the best outing I could muster with it. I have every intention of competing with it again and soon! I hope to get into the old gun shoot put on by Federal at the Grand with it, wish me luck!!

Happy Hap :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.