1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

updates on 90t

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 7771, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7771

7771 Active Member

Is the update on the 90-t really necessary??
    Thanks, Tommy

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The update to the forend is not "critical", but the part that does get replaced is the weakest link in the gun. IF you shoot the gun for 100k rounds and never have a problem, I'll call you lucky. I'm so sure that the new part is sound that I have a life-time warranty against it ever breaking....it just cannot. It may need to be replaced at some point, as with all break-open guns, they do tend to loosen at the hinged joint.

Replacing the updated part will not require the re-machining of the forend, that was done during the first update. Fitting the part will require just a little more amount of time as replacing the wear plate on a type4 Perazzi forend.

The other update is not necessary unless the gun begins to pop partially open during a shot, or the locking bolt is just worn out. I automatically change the angles on the bolt and on the lugs of the barrel from 10 degrees to 8 degrees whenever the bolt needs work.

Continuous shooting of the 90-T with a jumping top lever will lead to breaking the bolt actuator...a $20 part. This isn't as bad as breaking a Perazzi top lever when the top lever jumps...approx $450.

In the end, shoot it until it needs service, then send it in and have everything taken care of. Right now, an updated forend, updated locking bolt, new springs, and a clean and oil runs $290 plus return shipping, and a full one year (shipping included) warranty.

3. Geoffery

Geoffery Member

I have had seven 90Ts with no updates. Never had any problems! Always very careful in removing and replacing forearm. 100K is a lot of rds.and years. When I was shooting a Perazzi TMX with leaf spring trigger, I always carried a spare trigger. 90Ts are great guns with or without updates. Jim

4. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I was lucky enough to buy a 90T that the GunDr had worked over. It is absolutely perfect, and would advise any 90T owner that is not sure of the status to just send it in and have him do his magic to it. It is a tank of a gun, and the service performed will give you a "new" gun for next to nothing.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Had the GunDR tune-up both my 90Ts upon purchase... remember, your gun is least 14 years old...

Depending upon its serial number, Doug can tell you whether the locking bolt was already updated at the factory, but having the forend updated, new springs and oiling, tuning the trigger mechanism - not to also mention having the gun fully gone over by a 90T "pro" you'll have essentially a "new" 90T to start...

My first gun was really clean, but during the inspection Doug found an ejector screw that didn't look right, he replaced it, he cleaned up the butt pad, saved me a few bucks here and there I didn't have to spend...

On my recently purchased, well shot HPAR - still tight, Doug replaced springs, the locking lug, updated the forend and replaced a Gooey pad with a Kickeez... During that inspection, he recommended replacing some of the adjustable comb hardware that had become worn. I depend on Doug to give me his professional assessment.

I anticipated most expenses, the little bit extra, I actually appreciated, knowing the gun is completely solid going forward...

Yes, you can wait... a decision only you can make... you've made a good investment into a quality firearm, don't be penny-wise...

regards and enjoy your 90T...

Jay

6. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Doug is a great guy to deal with. He compleatly rebuilt my 90-T a few years ago and it is just fine.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Jay,

Actually your comb hardware was not wore out, the original hardware was robbed by a previous owner(s) and was replaced with homemade hardware that was sloppy and poorly machined.

Doug

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I stand corrected... but regardless, my brandy new hardware adjusts and locks down tight!

Thanks as always!

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.