1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Update on my recent SKB combo purchase

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Haven't touched the comb adjustment yet. Lowered the rib one notch down as I wanted the gun to shoot to point of aim. Shot high from factory. Been using reclaimed shot for practice. Kinda started thinking I needed another choke as the birds weren't get'n smoked as much as I thought they should. Then, I went through a couple boxes of factory ammo and smoked the hell out of 'em. Even had a small group of people entertained behind me at the 28 yd line as the birds disappeared into powder. Guess reclaimed shot is o.k. for pratice if it'll lead to me smok'n'm with virgin shot. Jim

2. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Jim...you said:

"Haven't touched the comb adjustment yet. Lowered the rib one notch down as I wanted the gun to shoot to point of aim. Shot high from factory."

I'm assuming you were shooting the UN-SINGLE barrel on your combo which is adjustable. If you LOWERED the rib one notch, you RAISED the POI not lowered it. Adjusting the RIB is opposite of adjusting the COMB, i.e, If you want your gun to shoot higher LOWER the rib or RAISE the comb. If you want it to shoot lower RAISE the rib or LOWER the comb.

In anycase, sounds like you had fun. What choke were you using? Did you get that gun case yet?
    Smok'n Joe

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jim, I hate to tell you that you wasted the time and ammo you expended getting the unsingle "sighted in" but unless you are willing to adjust the comb every time you change barrels, you did.

You should always start with the non-adjustable barrel and use the comb to get it shooting where you want ("where you look" seems to be an invite for argument on here these days). Then switch to the adjustable barrel and use its rib to get it shooting there, too.

Ed

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ed,

You are spot on.

Jim,

Unless you are shooting a Krieghoff, adjusting the rib did zilch for changing the POI.

Adjust comb for POI, then fine tune rib for sight picture.

ss

5. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Jim, Ed & Sucker,

I own one of these "ADJUST-O-MATICS" so I speak from experience!

Jim, if you put on a show from 28 yards back with that 85TTR Un-Single...go get a big tube of SUPER GLUE and throw the adjustment tools away!!! Way too many vairables on these guns can become a distraction. If you're lucky enough to have stumbled on a set up that works...ENJOY!!!

Ed is correct in suggesting that you should adjust the COMB first and then the rib. However, adjusting the rib to get the sight picture where you want it is also going to change the POI...sorry SS...adjusting the RIB up or down on this SKaB 85TTR Un-Single DOES adjust the POI. As Ed knows and has posted a few times, getting this model zeroed in can be an exercise in futility!

Jim wrote: "Lowered the rib one notch down as I wanted the gun to shoot to point of aim. Shot high from factory."

As I posted earlier, Jim, lowering the rib RAISED the POI. One notch isn't much, but your gun shot HIGHER not LOWER after you adjusted it down. Unless you understand what the adjustments do and why...you're going to wear out the screws on the road to ADJUST-O-MATIC HELL!!! Don't laugh, that's exactly what happened to the President of our club and his 85TSS is now a safe queen!

Smok'n Joe

6. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

O boy, here we go again!

7. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

...the SAGA continues

8. AveragEd

I don't think anyone's frustration with getting a combo "sighted in" - SKB or otherwise - has much to do with the brand name on the gun. If you get the O/U set shooting where you want and then adjust the unsingle's rib to do the same, you're pretty much done aside from some fine-tuning. Using that system, I got my Beretta 687 combo and another belonging to a friend good enough for shooting at live targets in less than a half-hour for each gun.

The other fellow hasn't touched his rib or comb while I moved my comb a little perhaps a month later. My adjustments haven't changed at all in the 14 months since then. Two local SKB combo owners are also enjoying their guns after spending a few hours of "quality time" with them.

You have to shoot the barrels at paper for POI only - don't even look at patterns just yet - and then shoot lots and lots of targets, watching your breaks (another no-no on here these days) and making mental notes about where the biggest piece most often goes. Then only if you see a pattern to those breaks under all kinds of skies, make SMALL adjustments to the COMB. Then shoot 100 or so targets with each barrel to make sure.

Starting with the unsingle and adjusting away on the rib and comb will result in little more than frustration, anger, distrust of the gun and lots of missed targets. Then you'll stick the O/U barrels on and start the whole process over again and get madder yet.

Ed

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Smok'n Joe,

I've owned 2 885TSS combo's so I do speak from experience. Neither one found a permanent home im my safe. I'll stick to my antequated fixed ribbed guns that I shoot very well!

ss

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

or do like I did....buy a nice used Ljutic...stock it to fit with no adjustable anything on to waste time on and shoot it forever...

11. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

Congrats on your SKB, there are a lot of people on here who seem not to like them, I purchased a used 85tss this past spring and at first was frustrated with it. it came with briley chokes flush mounted, now Iam here 2 tell you I had a rough time for about 2 weeks. ordered an IM extended choke from trulock, wow 25 at 16 first time I shot it also ordered a tight full for the 27 yard line. my rib is set on the middle mark or maybe a click above it and I have a 1/8 th shim on my comb. at 27 yards on paper it shoots 70/30 now Iam 72 and dont shoot as much as some of these guys shot 3900 this past summer, at are club I will shoot along side of some of the better shots there. who are shooting. whats that gun that starts with a P made some where over seas. and that funny gun made in wis. K something you know they also make toilets. I have good luck with 18 grains of 700x and 1 1/8 oz shot with a reminghton hull. glad to see you enjoy your SKB and good luck with it ed ackley

12. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

S.S.,

You ownED two?? I take it that means PAST TENSE???
    As far as those Ole Style Antiques go...gotta tell ya...I miss 'em dearly!

AveragEd,

I understand what you posted regarding the "generalities" of sighting in an an Un-Single/Combo, your point is well taken. However, I think you will agree that the design of this BRAND is particularly and inherently susceptible to the "frustration, anger and distrust syndrome and lots of missed targets" that you referred to.

For those of you that don't know, Ed and I have discussed THIS PARTICULAR BRAND to death on numerous PMs and various threads. Ed has been a great help and his review on the 85TSS was right on. Yes, TresDueces, here we go again!

As previously stated, I own an 85TSS Un-Single as does the President of our Trap Club. Besides the reliability issues we experienced and much too frequent trips back to Nebraska, the gun is very difficult to master. It looks good, feels good and swings well, but it will try you nerves. It simply is not a gun you can just pick up and run with right out of the box. If you're not prepared to engage in a "labor of love" with a lot of time and patience...RUN, don't walk, away!!!

Ed Ackly,

Great Post! Thank you for mentioning your frustration and subsequent success story AFTER replacing the Briley flush tubes with EXTENDED TruLock tubes. I wish you had posted your experience earlier. I "stuggled with the same issue until I was fortunate enough to hear from AveragEd and replaced the Briley's with Carlson Extended tubes. By the way, Ed previously eluded to the issue with the Briley Flush Chokes and suggested replacing them in his gun review that was published in Shotgun Sport Magazine. Right On, Ed! And, Eddie, as far as far as READING BREAKS goes...damn right we can!

Finally, back to Jim, TinMan et all...

I've experienced a lot of frustration with my 85TSS. It's been a challenge and a real learning experience for a guy trying to get back into the game. I've shot the P guns, the K guns, the B guns and even the good old Remingtons, Winchesters and Mossbergs. Most of them are gone...but not forgotten.

I hear you have to develop a taste for Sushi...
    well I'm really trying...but Ya know it DONT COME EASY.

Smok'n Joe

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Gary,

Can figure out who has the line in the water?

ss

14. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

You guys crack me up. I was just out at the range today. My SKB cranked out 25 though 23 rounds every time. And that was was with reclaimed shot. I dialed in my gun from the factory to shoot right at the bird. These guns are awsume. People are starting to really take notice of my shooting. I'
    m getting atta boys from from people every time I shoot. I'm one notch away from breaking 25 every time I shoot. This gun kicks ass and the the guys at my club are certainly taking notice. Jim

15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Don't break an arm or bruise your back there Jim.

ss

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

You reeled me in: Does Kolar really make plumbing products? Does Grohe make trap guns? If so, well, I'd consider a Grohe. I like Grohe products; great warranty and quality. Oh, and Kolar stuff is great for sinks, but Toto for toilets. Wait a minute, I believe it is Kohler for plumbing stuff? Or am I all wrong here?

Or is it Kolar who makes the generators? Or is it Kohler?

17. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Jim,

You're a lucky man...I went to the range yesterday as well.

20 degrees and 10" of snow...never fired a shot!

Smok'n Joe

18. AveragEd

Good shooting!

Is it me or were those targets a little flat?

Ed

19. Dixie Drifter

Dixie Drifter TS Member

Ed I never paid that much attention to the birds but now that you said they look flat I took a second look and tend to agree with what you said. It is a fun shoot that the vets put on each year and everyone is welcome and you shoot right along side of the vets and most of them are in wheel chairs and they do know how to shoot may add.

20. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I started with lowering the barrel because I was attempting to eliminate the 'space' between the bird and the end of barrel. I feel I can improve myself by taking as much of the guess work out of hitting my target. So instead of having an undetermined 'space' every time I now just hold right on the bird. Being able to hold under the bird (with some space) is very comfortable. But I believe it leaves room for error as you can't possibly maintain that exact 'space' each time. As for someone saying this would raise my shot pattern; I patterned the new hold and found it to center my pattern. I haven't even touched the comb and it is set to its lowest point at present. As long as I see improvements I'll continue to leave things as they are. At least now I don't have wonder if I shot over or under a bird. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to shoot a gun with an adjustomatic choje

poi on a unsingle skb 85tss

skb shotgun rib adjustment

skb shotguns 85 tss rib adjustment