1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Update on bear attack

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

According to the Spokesman Review, it looks like the 20 year old hunter not only failed to properly id his original target, failed to make a solid shot on that target, but also put a rifle round through the chest of his friend in his attempt to stop the grizzly attack. Autopsy indicates cause of death to be a single gunshot wound to the chest.

Rich

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Oh My God!

Tragic, to say the least!

Hauxfan!

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

article at link.

4. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Now before you all get on the kid for that. Remember that damn bear wasn't standing still., Cripes I would hate to live with those memories of what happened. I sure wouldn't want to be standing in his shoes . I have a lot of compassion for him and his buddy's family. We are responsible for our actions and some actions are tragic. Try to put yourself in his shoes. 1.He makes a decision and shot 2. bear wounded 3. He and partner try to finish off bear. 4.bear has other ideas. 5 tried to kill bear and save partner. . I don't think his buddy was hollaring don't shoot. Prayers said for both. Ken U

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    He better lawyer up.

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Details will come out during the trial.

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Right on hoot !!

Tragic day.

With all the "reintroduction" of grizzly's and wolves its going to happen more often then not !

As a famous outdoor writer claimed years ago, the whole concept of the reintroducing of these two predators amounted to the biggest attack by the anti-hunting crowd against hunting nation wide.

Triple S them, every chance you get.

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I'm with you Hoot. As you can tell it doesn't take much for some of these guys to condem people. Do you suppose they would have the same reaction if it was their son or daughter that this happened to?

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I'm with you too hoot, that would be a terrible position to be in, and the article says that he had hit the bear several times, it was just a tragic accident

10. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I agree with all those who aren't willing to cast stones. I would like to think I would react properly and make all the right decisions and actions in the same scenario. However, I will never know how I would react because I wouldn't put myself in that situation. Their biggest mistake was that they both decided to go after a wounded bear. That was the recipe for disaster, but they both made that decision. Everything else that happened from that point forward was probably an instinctive, panic and knee-jerk reaction. A tragedy for the decedant and his family as well as the shooter and his family.

I hope for their sake, they all find some comfort and peace.

John

11. hoot619

hoot619 Member

That wasn't a mistake. It was their responsibility but with tragic results Ken U

12. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Good post Hoot "aka Pops"

Thanks for saying what you said, I agree with you.

Kenny U

13. SeldomShoots

Call me an irresponsible hunter, but theres no way I am going after a wounded grizzly unless I can see it coming from a long way off. A grizzly can run faster than human, and no human can see one in the brush before the bear smells the human, unless the bear is dead.

John

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

John,

What if the animal attacks an innocent person before it dies of blood loss, infection, or starvation? Hunters should feel responsible for "finishing the job". Once you have created a problem, you should address it, or decide that hunting potentially dangerous game is not for you.

Don Verna

15. SeldomShoots

Yes Don, the timing of the bear dying and all of the stuff that can go wrong before the bear expires is a big what if. But what if they would have just let the bear retreat, lay down and die. I presume they were in a remote area where the likelihood of another person stumbling on to a wounded bear was slim to none. However, I have to wonder about both of these hunters experience in this area when the one fellow mistakes the grizzly for a black bear. They may have tried to do the right thing, I'm just not sure they were mentally equipped to do it. Being smart and responsible are not always present, at the same time, in many situations, and I think this was one of them.

Trust me Don, I made my decision not to hunt dangerous game a long time ago. Plus, I see no reason to hunt something I wouldn't eat, (with the exception of varmints) and I wouldn't eat a bear as it has been known to feed on carrion.
    Personally, I'll stick with hunting stuff that doesn't bite back.

John

16. hoot619

hoot619 Member

The big IF. Just leave the bear let it die.
    The point is you are Responsible for that bear, You screwed up you take care of the problem
    You make sure it is dead or you track it and finish the job. There are most likely other hunters in the area. I wounded bear will attack anyone that get to close.
    Those 2 hunters knew what they had to do. They tried their best, did kill the bear but with tragic results.
    When hunting with a guide they make damn sure you do your job. I don't think I am mistaken that they will anchor it for you. No such thing as leaving a wounded bear. They have the dirty work after a client screws up.

as far as bear feeding on carrion. Follow a hog or chickens around, I just as soon eat bear. Ken U My last post on this!

17. SeldomShoots

Thats why I prefer beef, "its whats for dinner". Chicken is a filthy animal and most hogs in confined feeding operations aren't eating dead animials seveal days or weeks old. They may cannibalize one from time to time, but thats fresh meat. My point is, why eat something less desirable when you don't have to?

John

P.S. hoot, I don't expect an answer since you made your last post. Plus, it sounds as though you should have been there to anchor the bear. Maybe you can see better than a grizzly can smell. Personally, I don't want to end up as bear doo-doo.

18. SeldomShoots

After thinking about this, I can appreciate hoots sense of responsibility. However, I don't agree with the thought process that says I have to get this thing no matter what and without assistance, or by throwing caution to the wind.

It seems more prudent to study a creature, know its area or range, and if you can't put it down in one shot, call for assistance or someone with dogs, especially if this is dense cover area.

Let a dog that is trained to flush out or bay a cougar or bear do the job of finding it so you have the time to set up for a shot. Like I said, responsible and smart are not present in every decision made or action taken.

John

19. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There's no question that the danger in hunting bears is a big part of the
    attraction. The very definition of danger is that something bad can happen - and unfortunately in this case, it did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.