1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Update on Alaska Move - for the few who care :>)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 100straight, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 100straight

100straight Member

For those with whom I interacted on my Alaska move, I am here!. I want to say a special thanks to Jeff P for all his help and encouragement on getting here. Joe Kuhn may not believe this, but my van made it without breaking in two from being overloaded! (hope the loader works as well for you as it always did for me)

Today is my first day on the job in Cordova. So far it is great. It was a beautiful drive up, once I got past Saskatoon (was very hot before that with no A/C). The fall colors were amazing. I saw many animals including a Black bear sow with two very fat cubs, Caribou, Mt. Goats, Bison, Elk, Deer, and small animals including a weasel that I almost ran over. The only Moose I saw were dead in the ditch, so I'm not sure if that counts. Anyway, I covered almost 4000 miles in 5 days and took lots of pictures. I'll try to post some here in the upcoming weeks, once I find a place to live and get settled. Looking forward to my guns getting here that were shipped, so I can break some clays.

Mark.

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Keep the autograph, I want Sarah!

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Did you go through Canada with firearms? If so how did you do it?

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Auctioneer, Click on the link above and your questions about firearms and Canada will be answered. Bill Malcolm

5. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

How was the road up? I am thinking about towing my 5th wheel up there in the spring.

JON

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a friend & ex employee that went up there to work two years ago and you could not pry him out of there. All he does is hunt & fish. Here is a picture of a moose he shot last week. I cant wait to go visit. Chief Jon - I can give you my friends number if you want to talk to him about the drive. He towed a big trailor up there also
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I'm still amazed we drove into the parking lot within seconds to exchange the reloader (met Mark at the intersection of I88 and I39, with an approximate arrival time). Loader is working good after applying a little light oil on the main column with a q-tip. Adjusted it for steel loads and have shot plenty already. All good!

I hear moose are the most dangerous animals in North America. Be careful up there.

Sounds like heaven.

Best of luck.

Joe

8. 100straight

100straight Member

Chiefjon,

The road is OK. It is almost all 4 lane and 110 KPH (~70MPH) to Dawson Creek, BC. After that it is pretty good 2 lane to Fort Nelson, BC. After Fort Nelson there are some real mountain grades (10%), so you want to make sure your brakes are good. The road is mostly good to Whitehorse, YT with occasional rough spots and frost heaves, and 100 KPH (62 MPH) speed limit. Watch for red flags along the shoulder and slow down before you get to them. The Canadians marks the frost heaves with them. The road after Whitehorse gets rougher, and it gets rougher yet past Haines Junction to Tok, AK. There were places where I didn't go over about 45 MPH for 50+ miles at a time, and in places I was down to probably 30 MPH. However, I was loaded very heavy, and if I hadn't been so heavy I wouldn't have had to slow down so much. On the positive side there is plently of great scenery, so going slow wasn't really an issue for me. I may be driving it again next May, so I can give another update then, if I do.

Mark.

9. 100straight

100straight Member

BROWNST100,

Here is your autographed picture.

320090T,

Sorry, but I can only do so much.

Mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.