1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Up To $5000.00 to Spend

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JRW, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRW

JRW Member

Jeff you don't say if you want new or used. If new you might give Browning a look or Beretta would work for you. If you find one of these you like use money left over for ammo or stock fitting. Good luck with your shopping. Jerry

2. JRW

JRW Member

Jeff where are you located? Is there any chance of going to the Grand in Aug. you could find the gun and there would be stock people to talk with. Jerry

3. ChillyW

ChillyW TS Member

Well... you're not going to like my advice. But you did ask, so here it goes.
    Spend $1,500 on a decent O/U of whatever brand you like. Get an adjustable butt plate and comb put on it, if it doesn't already have one ($500 or less).
    Spend $1,000 on 2 or 3 good shooting clinics. And spend $2,000 on shells and practice rounds.

No matter how much money you spend on your shotgun, it's not going to shoot 100 straight for you; you've got to do the work.

Kay Ohye could hand me his K-80 and let me practice all day with it, and there's no way I would shoot 100 straight. But give him a field 870 and a round to practice with it, and I'll bet he could shoot 99 or 100 with it. Why? Because he's shot more rounds in his lifetime than 99% of us ever will.

- Erik

4. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Get a Beretta DT-10 Trap.

Berettaman7

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Jeff,

I would look into one of the XT unsingle combo's that Guns Unlimited in Omaha Nebraska. They make them in different grades and are priced accordingly ($3,600-$5,100). As with any Browning, don't buy one that has an adjustable comb from the factory, the hardware sucks. Have a fitter cut the comb and set the gun up for you.

ec90t

6. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

No matter what gun you start out with, it probably won't be your last. Think of the first job you had or your first girlfriend. You probably did not stick with either one very long. But, if I was you just starting out, I think ec90t has the best advice. These have been out about 1 year now, so I would look to buy a used one that somebody bought last year and who might be looking to get something different.

7. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Jeff: No matter what you choose I would surely look into purchasing a nice used gun. Guns are like cars or anything else for that matter. If you purchase new you will lose money. Getting a decent deal on a used gun lessens the loss considerably. Try shooting several different makes and types of guns and then make your decision. As was stated above, stay away from the Browning factory adjustable combs. They are junk. Have Greg Hissem or Ken Rucker set you up with an adjustable comb, once you purchase your gun. Also, you stated you live in Illinois. It might be worth the drive to visit Steve Smith at the Indiana Gun Club in Fortville, Indiana. They have a "ton" of guns and I'm sure Steve would allow you to shoot anyone you want; as he has the trap facilities right there at the club. They are very honest and will treat you right. Good Luck.. Ed

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

My son has a Beretta 682 Gold Combo that is in like new condition that he wants $3200 for. It has a Gracoil Adjustable Length of Pull Recoil Reducer (installed by Gracoil) and a 4 way adjustable comb (done by Gracoil) and an adjustable butt pad. We also live here in Illinois and I can meet you at the Grand or between here and Rockford if you're interested. Email me and I can give you the more specifics and send you some pics.

9. zinger

zinger Member

here's my pick

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Don't get in a rush. Pick up and "feel" the various guns your considering. All the guns mentioned above are good. Personally, I'd try the Ber DT-10. But save some money for a good fitting. Shop hard, buy right. Go to the Grand if you can wait. Their all there.

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Jeff.........ec90t has it. I've got the XT un-single combo and it's the greatest. If Browning isn't your thing Beretta has a good combo. In either case have someone (I chose Gregg Hissem) install a adj.comb and a adj. butt pad. When I talked to Greg before I sent him my gun he had me take pictures of me stocking the gun to check for LOP and he adjusted accordingly. I had less the $4.000 invested so I also took a course with Harlan Campbell. That was money well spent. How ever you choose, good luck.

Bill

12. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Setterman gave you very good advice and do not run out and buy something you will wander if it's the one you should have bought to begin with. Go to the grand where there will be literally hundreds of trap guns and almost that many experts. Try at the practice range the guns you like and make a good deal there. Then shoot it at the grand, there is no other shoot in the world that will give you the feeling quite like the grand. Good luck in finding the one that's right for you and what did you buy her so she let you spend the money without a fight? Dan

13. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

The Grand is in Sparta IL. August 6-18, 2007 (SCTP Championships - August 6-7). Here is a link (above) with all the information. Bill Malcolm

14. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Skypan,

I didn't read some of the posts. I'm just wondering if you are shooting targets other than trap also. 2 guns will eat that 5k pretty fast and you probably will have to go used (which if funds have a limit I would suggest either way- let somebody else take the new price hit and you get a better gun).

all the best,
    john

15. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I picked up one of those Browning unsingle's the other day, it is a good gun, nice feel, also one of the regular combos [top single] would not be bad. I agree with some of the posters though. Put a few of the guns up and see how they feel.........DONT be in a hurry, If you get the right gun you will not need another. Your not that far from the Grand........a road trip is in order.

GS

16. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I myself have shot the Browning Plus's for about 12 years now. They come stock with all the options already installed, and are definately worth the money. You can usually find them for UNDER $2000, and the combos are usually UNDER $2500. I am presently selling my Signature Edition Plus, and it is loaded with all the adjustable gear you can get. Email me if you are interested. If you dont like the Sig. Ed., the regular wood models are out there. The benefit of these, you can adjust everything on the gun to fit you. Steve

17. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

skypan12

I think I would wait til the grand also unless you have already tried out some of the friends guns at the clubs around the only draw back at the grand is if you want to shoot a practice round witha new gun then the practice traps are about 1 mile away from the tent vendors but still no problem to drive the car there but is not as handy as a small club trap range to test guns out.

Of course a lot of the main gun vendors are in the permanent buildins right behind the practice traps also.

Myself I like the beretta over the browning's but I guess maybe it's because I bought mine new in 1983 and im still shooting it still today.

Rockford, IL US

TO

Sparta, IL US

Total Est. Time: 5 hours, 27 minutes

Total Est. Distance: 321.60 miles

Foghorn

18. zinger

zinger Member

Jeff, my nephew just did what you're trying to do and called me for advice. He went to Jaqua's and shot a few guns and really liked the SKB combo. Also shot a bt99, Winchester Synergy (sp?) and something else I can't remember. Thankfully, he didn't buy the SKB. Anyway, he came down to PA for a weekend shoot and I had Joel Etchen bring me a Citori and a 687 Silver Pigeon II for him to shoot. They both were used guns and had the adj butt plate and comb. After shooting each gun back and forth, he determined that the SPII felt better, didn't beat him up and swung smoother. He wound up buying a combo from Joel that had been a demo gun for less than $3000. The wood is beautiful and so is the gun. I shoot an MX10 and shot the single barrel of the Beretta and was very much impressed at how nice it felt and how well it was balanced. I also feel that the Beretta will hold it's value and serve your needs for years to come. Everyone has good advice, you need to figure out what will work for you so you're not buying a gun just to have one and then later regretting you didn't buy what you really wanted. I think you're on the right path asking! JMO Kim Bateman

19. JRW

JRW Member

Skypan12; You now mention single bbl trap, if you go this way buy one you can add O/U bbls at later date if you choose to try doubles. Jerry

20. eagleonePA

eagleonePA TS Member

about $3500 buys You a SKB Combo with an adjustable comb, about $300 for an adjustable pad and the rest for fitting and a couple of flats of shells.
    Good Luck and God Bless, Bill Ivins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.