1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UP OR DOWN? POI QUESTION?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rich V., Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich V.

Rich V. Member

gorillajg... think about it... if you "mash" your face into the stack and you ink ball a target... just lower your comb.

Rich V...

2. Rich V.

Rich V. Member

gorillajg... think about it... if you "mash" your face into the stock and you ink ball a target... just lower your comb.

Rich V...

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Sounds as though it's shooting a tad high for you with the comfortable sight picture. If your comb is adjustable, lower it a tad. If not, it's sandpaper time? That or shoot a lot of targets and learn how to float the bird, that method does take lots more shooting to master. Hap

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

IF... you have been able to accurately describe the different bead alignments and they remain when you actually fire the gun, the small change in bead alignments would not explain the difference in the way targets break, assuming the results are consistent. Something else is happening.

The possibilities include an increase in concentration, a change in your swing, i.e. swing speed or accuracy and even the possiblity of head movement on the stock during swings, most likely raising the head when using greater cheek pressure.

The change in the vertical POI with the change in cheek presssure and the resulting different bead alignments, would result in a POI change of less than an inch. Whatever is causing a change in the way targets break, moving the comb is probably not likely to help.

If you want to try adjusting the comb, I would suggest lowering it 1/8 inch to see what happens. Lowering the comb would have the same effect as using greater pressure of your cheek on the comb without requiring the increase in pressure, which isn't likely to remain throughout the swing, anyway.

Rollin

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

the 391 buttstock would also be adjustable using the shims provided. Generally 5mm reductions(.200 inch). that'll drop it for you!!

Jim

6. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

gorillajg ,

You need to find out where your gun is shooting before you start adjusting your comb .

Granted the prior recommendations are appropriate , but , don't you really want to know what if any effect is built into your gun ?

Consider bench checking it first .

Charlie

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, as Charlie suggested, check the POI from a bench using both cheek pressures. It is entirely possible that the differenced you see when you "mash your face" on the comb have nothing to do with POI. The pressure you are applying to the stock might simply be forcing you to keep your head down on the stock when you are shooting.

Determination of the POI is a good thing to do. Making sure the gun is not shooting right or left is probably the most important thing you can discover when measuring the POI at 13 yards. But, unless you can keep your head on the comb and move your upper body as a single unit, knowing the POI is of little value.

We pay much attention to the fine points of shooting (60/40 vs 70-30 patterns) and ignore th basic things such as keeping into the gun and seeing the target.

Pat Ireland

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I shoot better pulling in "Tight" with a good amount of cheek pressure.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

JoeE- How many inches high is the POI at 13 yards? I also hold a low gun, but it results in me shooting faster.

Pat Ireland

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

gorillajg, curious, do your scores increase with the cheek pressure also?

11. gorillajg

gorillajg TS Member

Rolin you were right something else was happening, had a well known shooter watch me shoot. turns out my stock was too short and i was moving my shoulder ahead to compensate, apparently i wouldn't get any consistentcy mounting a gun this way, I purchased a graco adjustable butt plate and a kickeez pad and added approx. 2 1/2" to the stock. Now I can absolutely hang smoke!!!!
    Thanx for your input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.