1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Up and Coming 9 yr OldTrapshooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by J.Woolsey, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I was at the Dogwood Open in Bostic, NC this Sat & Sun. Just prior to our Sat Handicap squad going on deck, a member of management came up to me and said that a Sub Jr. shooter was squaded with myself and another, Did I mind shooting with this young fellow. I asked if it was the little fellow I had seen earlier and was told yes it was. I immediately told him I had no problem at all with it. The young man is Spencer Power a 9 year old Dynamo, shooting a 391 Beretta, that I believe to be taller than him. I was really impressed with him. When we finished up I introduced myself and thanked him for shooting with us. This morning (Sunday) I see him out on the field in front of the clubhouse, hammering targets like a pro. He would lift the gun up placing the stock to his shoulder, then bring the barrel down to level and immediately call for his target. He had to as he is quite small and couldn't hold the gun for any extended period. To make a long story short, he shoots a 92 in caps and ties with another Sub Jr. They have a shootoff, Spencer walks up and proceeds to win the Sub Jr catagory. I understand that he said just before the shoot off started that he was a little nervous, it didn't show if he was. The little guy is one of the most polite well mannered young fellows I have seen in a while.

Getting to meet and shoot with this young man, was the highlight of my shoot. I'm sure in coming years you will hear more of Spencer Power. JW

2. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Always great to hear stories like this. I started shooting when I was 9, as well. Can't say I got into any shootoffs then, though!

3. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

That's a great time to start the young'ns at shooting. Good luck to Spencer and kudo's to his parents. It's nice to see/hear a polite young man especially in our sport.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I too, had the pleasure of shooting with Spencer. On two squads I was on he was the squad leader. His poise, politeness & shooting technique showed a degree of character & expertise way above his years. This young man will have a bright future in anything that he will do in the future. Well done, Spencer. By the way John how did the Beretta behave?

Phil Berkowitz

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Good for that young man!! I too shot with a young man that's tough now and a real contender from Palmdale,Ca., Logan Mountain! Watch for this kid too, he's a great kid, a great shot and a pleasure to shoot with! Another Heller in the makin! Hap

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    JW, I hope you said this to his parents.<br>
    <br>
    Nothing made me prouder when my son was young to hear another shooter or hunter say he was invited to shoot or hunt with him any time he wanted.<br>
    <br>

7. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I shared the same pleasure of the others by shooting with Spencer. He was captain of one squad I was on. He handled it like a vet. He also out shot several others on the squad.

I did talk with his Dad and told him what a thrill it was for me to see Spencer in competition and how I marveled at his demeanor.

His Dad told me that he was doing this now because "As I (Dad) have heard, you begin to lose them at age 16, so I'm getting all the time with him that I can. You could tell they were not only father and son, they were pals and shooting "buddies."

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Actually, the older my son got, the more we got along.<br>
    <br>
    Sean has had a very difficult time. He's had a reading disability, and severe ADHD. We did not get along very well most of the time, because, as a dad, I had to make some hard and unpopular decisions for him. Shooting and hunting were one of the few things that he did wherein he and I had a level playing field. I set the rules at the beginning, which were he had to be 100% safe at all times, or it was back to the truck. When he took his hunter's safety course, he had the second highest score in the class, and a higher score than any of the adults. His gun handling in the field was exemplary. He showed remarkably good judgment in passing up fast breaking shots because of the proximity of the dogs to the shot pattern. Once he even shot high over a pheasant to keep the shot pattern above a dog. I doubt few adults even think about this.<br>
    <br>
    My only lament now is I don't have the resources to go hunting as often as we used to. That's because of the outlay for college tuition, which takes priority over all other considerations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.