1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

until proven innocent

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slayer, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

My new gun that was shipped from out of state just sat at the ffl for 3 days before I could claim it. When it was called in, the gun dealer was told to "hold for review". He finally released it to me when the 3 day rule had expired and nothing more was heard from the feds. Anybody ever heard of this B.S.? I am not a felon, wife beater etc. Bill

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The most likely scenario is that your name is the same or similar to someone else who has issues with getting a gun. Google for your first and last name, and see how many hits there are. Then add your middle name.

One way to help whittle this down is to put your SSN on the 4473 for the NICS check. Doesn't always resolve the issue, but it does in many cases.

If the problem still continues, you can request a special identification number for NICS checks.

3. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

Brian has the right spin on this. I work at Cabelas and this happens pretty much every day.

One of our very steady customers has a number of security clearances for the various locations he works, and he gets delayed every time. Dan

4. cnsane

cnsane Member

Hey now, this is not bull$h!+ because it is instant and inconvieniences no one. That's what they said when it was passed into Law, and they wouldn't lie. Happens to me each and every time. There'd be a lot less of their arbitrary denial if they were made to check back in three days instead of letting them go on their apathetic way. I'll have to check into that special ID# Brian mentioned.

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Another way out of this is to get a concealed carry license and it doesn't get called in causing the delay. Jackie B.

6. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

Shooting Jack is right, but unfortunately only for certain states. At the Cabelas here in Minnesota we have to make the N.I.C.S. call regardless. Dan

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

Brian it won't help. Because of similar issues and at the request of the VA State Police after a couple of times of me showing up at their office to find out what the heck was going on, I went to my local sheriffs office and had my fingerprints done (old style ink on a card)and had them submitted to the State Police. In a week or so I received from the State Police a nice letter of thanks and what is known as a Unique Firearms Identification Number (UFIN). Even with that, my SSN on the form AND the fact that I currently hold a C&R FFL (renewed in 2010) my last 2 SHOTGUN purchases have been delayed, one for 2 days before the approval and the next for 4 days (because it was across the weekend) before approval. Both times the process was done by computer VS phone in. On the phone in you can talk to a real human and provide the UFIN on the computer there is no place for entering it and NOBODY will call the dealer for additional followup.

--- Chip King ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.