1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unsingle vs. Osingle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tommy67, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommy67

Tommy67 Member

I am fairly new to trap shooting. I currently use a Browning XT Combo, but primarily shoot singles and handicap. What are the advantages of unsingles versus osingles?

2. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

There is less felt recoil with un-singles.

3. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I think the unsingle has an adjustable rib also.

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

So do high heels, but they may not FEEL better.

Guy B.

5. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

gdbabin- Well your not wearing them.... Are you?

6. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Well, for one thing, you'll look much more like a seasoned AAA trapshooter, when you come to the line with a high-ribbed undersingle. The fear factor alone should be worth two or three extra birds. <:)

Seriously, whether you go with a top- or under -single, it becomes a matter of personal choice. Under singles generally direct recoil a little more straight back, keeping the gun from rising too much. Under singles generally require a monte carlo-type comb, with some adjustments to it. The monte carlo comb moves the butt down further. They also allow for a higher-pointing gun, putting some space betweed the bead and the target. A lot of shooters prefer the target to "float". Again, it's a matter of personal preference.

Although seen more on under-singles, adjustable ribs can be found on top singles, although the amount of adjustment will be somewhat less without other stock modifications.

With your existing XT O/U, you get the benefit of and undersingle when you shoot out of the bottom barrel.

To determine what's best for you, shoot both, and make your decision on your experiences. Most of all, get a proper stock fit. You can have all the gadgets you want, but if the stock doesn't fit, you won't break enough targets, and the resulting misfit will make shooting a drag.

The above are just generalizations. You will need to get some specific knowledge to make any of the above to work for you. Good luck.

PS - Search the thread here. You'll find a wealth of information.

Best,
    Dennis

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

under looks better I think.

8. J.D. Squire

J.D. Squire Member

If all our guns shot as good as they "look" or think they "look", we would never miss. It's all about how it fits, feels, and what you have more confidence in. Try it all.

J.D.

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

JUst think, if unsingle was the best---wouldn't you think, everyone who ones a Seitz, Alfermann, Bowen,Mach 1 or an Infinity would have one. If money is no problem--get what works for you.

Lou

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Buy a Joel Etchen Beretta with 3 barrels (O/U, US, TS). Less expensive than those other makes and you'll have the best of all worlds.

Curt

11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Yes go to Joel Etchens Guns and get the 3 barrel set.
    I have a unsingle combo set that my wife shoots. It's a great gun.

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

A unsingle by design is easier to cant...

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

It seems the Unsingle may be better beyond the 24 yard line. If you have a Combo, you can adjust the Unsingle barrel to shoot as high as you want. Typically, one wants the O/U barrels to shoot a bit flatter for Dubs.

Many Top singles are too flat for shooting in the back yard. If a shooter has to cover the bird with the barrel on a Trap field, the gun does not shoot high enough. If an adjustable stock is set up for long caps with the Topsingle, then the O/U barrels are going to be as high as a cat's back.

I do not like to adjust a comb back and forth for different games. The Unsingle's rib allows the shooter to set it to a preferred POI. Dial it in so it suits you, and march on!

I like my Unsingle to shoot right at 100% high, while the O/U barrels are about 80% high.

I prefer a Combo so I can shoot the same basic firearm with the same trigger, LOP, etc. Also, there is only one receiver and stockset to clean at the end of the day.

I also use the O/U barrels for Skeet. The Combo is extremely versatile and cost effective.

14. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Keep the double and add an unsingle barrel. The most fun game in trap is doubles. You'll want to shoot them someday!

15. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

There are several differences between an unsingle and a top single barrel that seem to make a difference for many people (whether one is "better" than the other seems to be purely a matter of personal preference). As others have noted, unsingle barrels, because they are low on the receiver, do seem to have less perceived (not actual) recoil. This may or may not be sufficient to really be noticeable for many depending on gun weight, et, but can be factor. Second, an unsingle barrel presents a significantly different sighting "picture" than a top single. Since the rib of an unsingle is much higher over the barrel, a shooter will not normally see the barrel at all in pointing and firing. For some, this is an advantage since the barrel can be distracting and obscure the target (this is personal advantage for me, and why I like the unsingle). However, others I have talked to and shot with find the (generally sub-conscious) use of the barrel to help pointing an advantage and have a difficult time with an unsingle. These folks generally are more comfortable with a top single. I read some time back, an excellent article by Averaged, in Shotgun Sports where (I beleive) the wife of a friend was having a difficult time shooting her new unsingle. Since she was shooting a Beretta 68X series, and Ed apparently had a top single barrel, they changed barrels to the top single, and her shooting immediately improved. This was obviously a case of the shooter needing the barrel view to properly point the gun at the target. Bottom line is that you need to shoot both types of barrels before deciding which works best for you. Both will work, but which is best for you depends entirely on your personal shooting style, some of which you might not even be conscious of. Only actual use can tell if one or the other is better for you.

16. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

You already have both.

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

There is often a learning curve to shoot the Unsingle.

18. Tommy67

Tommy67 Member

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Right now I am satisfied with my combo, but you never know when a great buy on another gun will come along. As Mark Twain once said, " I can resist anything but temptation". I have only been on this site for about a week, and I can't believe how much good information is available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.