1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unsingle v. single

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tsosin, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

I currently shoot a Browning Citori XT trap and I'm thinking about a new gun. Although I've shot a lot of skeet, I'm new to trap and like the adjustability of an unsingle, but question the additional cost. I'm going to shoot both to get a feel for recoil differences, if any, and would appreciate all of the input that I can get.

Ted Sosin

2. BMC

BMC Member

Ted, I guess I might be on the conservative side, but I think you will find your current XT Trap O/U is more than adequate for trap. My XT shoots just as good of scores as my BT100 does even with several tricked out stuff done to the 100. Of course if price weren't part of the equasion I would surely like to own a single barrel for my XT too.
    Brian.

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Friends that have gone to top/undersingles vs. just the o/u seem to continually have problems "adjusting" the rib, balance, etc. to get it "just right"... Your XT will do it all...use the top barrel with light loads and moderate open choke for 16s and the bottom barrel with a tight choke for handicap. Going this route is the reason for unsingles....recoil comes straight back with heavier loads in the under barrel. Use both barrels for doubles. Same gun, barrels, feel, weight distribution, etc. Trying to get 3 barrels (o/u and single) to shoot to the same place is the big frustration. Think about it and keep it simple. Best Regards, Ed

4. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

Big Tuna - that is EXACTLY what I do. I use my DT10 o/u for everything. I actually sold my top single barrel for that very reason.

Ted - your XT can do it all.

Dan

5. shoot'er

shoot'er TS Member

I currently shoot an unsingle but at the South Dakota state shoot I will be picking up my new bowen. Its an over single compared to my unsingle and its one of the easiest shooting guns I have ever shot. Like SkipC said an unsingle is easily canted and I have developed some bad habbits shooting the unsingle! Actually thats all i have owned is unsingles (3) and i like the top single better! But then you need to buy a combo or another gun to shoot doubles. Just a thought

J.D.

6. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Dan (flyfishifool) - someday I hope to move up to a DT-10...I have always liked their features. Meanwhile the XT got me my first 100s in singles. I got to keep saving and looking. Best Regards, Ed

7. Harold

Harold TS Member

Skip and shoot’er have resurrected the “canting an unsingle” myth, which I haven’t seen on trapshooters.com in a while. I am about to debunk that myth in my typical obnoxious manner that will probably tick off a lot of old timers who have been shooting for many years, and just know that canting an unsingle is worse than canting a top single.

Think about what would happen if you replaced the unsingle rib with a top barrel. You would have two barrels, one that shoots like an unsingle and one that shoots like a top single, at least insofar as where the gun shoots.

Now make the bore of the two barrels perfectly parallel to one another. Say the bore centerlines are one inch apart. Then the top barrel will hit 1 inch higher than the bottom barrel. That’s essentially the same POI. Turn the barrel on its side, canted 90 degrees to the right. The top barrel now strikes 1 inch to the right of the bottom barrel. Again it is essentially the same POI. There is just nothing you can do by canting the gun to make the two barrels of an o/u shoot to a different spot.

8. Mr. Marcy

Mr. Marcy TS Member

Harold you make a good point. BUT take a top single put it up and align the beads in the "figure 8". Now swing the gun from side to side almost 90 degrees WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED. Swing it a few times and bring it back to the center and look at your beads. If the gun fits you nice the beads should not have moved, or if they did a little bit at the most. Now do the same thing with an unsingle and you will find that the beads moved a lot more. My old MX15 was custom fitted to me and when I did this drill the beads moved twice that of the top single! And by the way who you callin old? hahaha

Mr. Marcy

9. Harold

Harold TS Member

Mr. Marcy,

If what you say is true, and I'm not saying it isn't, I don't know why it would be. It should be all the same geometrically, i.e., the comb is in the same place relative to the rib, the gun butt is in the same place relative to the comb. Does the same thing happen to you with an o/u?

I'm getting close to being an old timer myself, just haven't been shooting so long.

10. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Us old timers don't worry about all that crap we just shoot.

11. Harold

Harold TS Member

Skip, if you are having trouble with your unsingle, how do you know it is due to canting?

I didn't think I needed to provide evidence as my argument is based on logic which I think anybody could agree to once it is pointed out to them, and they think about it a little bit.

If you fire two bullets horizontally, at the same speed, one an inch above the other, both will fall the same amount due to gravity and strike the target an inch apart. This is even easier to picture with the barrels side by side. The bullets will follow parallel paths an inch apart for their entire trajectory.

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

The only thing you can do is actually shoot both yourself and decide. They both have many pro's and con's for each type of barrel but what might be a pro to you might be a con to others and the same in reverse.

If you get a chance to shoot both take the opportunity to give them both a good test run to see which would/could work best for you.

13. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I have heard that some shooters actually use canting the gun to their advantage. Like if they get a left angle target, they will cant the gun so that the bottom barrel moves to the left. This supposedly allows them to aim right at the target with no visible lead and break it.

14. laura!

laura! Member

I am currently shooting a top single and starting to shoot pretty well with it. It's an old gun and has some issues so I'm in the market. It also gives me a fairly good thumping when I hold it high enough to shoot really well with it. The unsingle is much better on recoil, but, since my gun shoots pretty flat, the unsingle comes with a big learning curve. I'm wondering what's better, an unsingle or another top with a recoil reducer

15. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

It does sound very difficult, thats why I haven't tried it yet. I can see how it would work though. Right now I need to work on keeping my head on the gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.