1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unsingle----The Old Way

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dan S., Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

I have two identical O/U trap guns and would like to take one of them and remove part of the top barrel to make an unsingle from it. These are not highly valuable guns and I know that is how the first unsingles were developed. My question is; Does anyone know of a smithy who does this work with any regularity? I know Wilkenson would "build me one" but I don't want to pay Perazzi price for a Winchester. Being a machinist for 30+ years I could cut the barrel section away myself and detach the rib but then comes reattaching, blueing, etc. Ideally, I would like to add an adjustable rib at the same time. I am trying to do this on the cheap but get a quality adjustable rib and clean reblue. Anyone familiar with someone that could do this? I thought about Moneymaker but didn't know if they "cut" barrels or not.

2. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

M R Ducks.....Thanks! I checked out their website and I do see where they will make a Beretta O/U into an unsingle with adl. rib. I'll give them a call. I have relatives in Omaha and could drive down and visit with them while speaking persoanlly with MM about this job. These happen to be good shooters for me and would like to enjoy the benefits of a single on a windy day. The way I look at it the guns are both worth about a grand ea. Say $1200 for converting one of them and I have less than the cost of another barrel for my Krieghoff that I don't shoot as well.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You don't mention what gun you have.

If you have a Beretta, buying a barrel would be cheaper and you would have a combo set.

HM

4. DblAdb

DblAdb TS Member

Call Bill Simons 520 508-6129. He makes a great recoil reducer and very good gunwork on other projects also. I am sure that his price/quality/work will stand up to any other smiths. Mike

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

MB;

Another possibility would be to compare the stock dimensions on the two guns. Your not shooting the Krieghoff well is probably because the stock dimensions are different from those on the other gun, the one you do shoot well.

All stock dimensions can be changed and it might be worthwhile learning which dimensions on the Krieghoff would require changing to make them the same as those on the other gun.

Rollin

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I would be hard pressed to use anybody other than Ken Eyster for a project like this. Take one look at the XT unsingle barrels he's making and that will tell you enough! I've also had the pleasure of seeing other work that he's done, quite a craftsman!

ec90t

7. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Rollin beat me to it. Fix the K gun to where you CAN shoot it and don''t spend more money on the 101 than what it worth to begin with. But that is just me. Good luck, John

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Make certain that the chamber of the barrel that is removed is blocked. I can see the possibility of an regrettable accident.

Pat Ireland

9. blaster

blaster Member

I talked to Roger EuBanks, He as two adj. rib for a unsingle. Might give him a call.

10. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

BCNU and Rollin....The point is, I don't need a $14,000 shotgun when a $1400 one gets me the same or better scores. I can go out anytime and buy another one for the same price. I don't shoot enough to justify the extra cost anymore. I just would like to have an unsingle again and I am quite sure a Beretta unsingle won't fit a Winchester (halfmile I was serious about the Winchester comparo). I remember Leo shooting 1100's when he started out. At my age and with the price of the game skyrocketing, I can spend the extra I got from the sale on marathon targets. It's just the scenario I have to accept at this point in my life. I went up to AA,25,AA with this gun and I am content it will take me as far as I could go all things considered. So this endeavor is just for fun, not competition. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and contact info. By the way, the gun is a Select Energy Trap and Yes, I like it enough to spend the money on it.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I never looked at one of those. I believe they are made by Browning and take Invector Plus chokes.

I have a Winchester Supreme Sporting (the predecessor) NIB available from an estate. 900 takes it.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.