1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unsingle Recommendation Please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DustyOne60, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DustyOne60

DustyOne60 Active Member

I am looking into a Un-Single for trapshooting (Singles & Handicap). Any recommendations?

Currently I have a great BT-100 (34" Adjustable Comb, original hard case etc.), but it is not an unsingle.

The two I am considering is a Perazzi MX15 or a Browning XT Unsingle from Guns America in Omaha.

I don't know much about Perazzis other than what I read. It seems a used MX15 would suit my budget. 34" etc.

The Browning XT Un single gets my attention becasue of all the features and the cost factor.

My main concern with the Browning is that I hear lots about Browning's cheap adjustable comb hardware and I wonder if I should look into the Monte Carlo and get and aftermarket adjustable comb.

Any thoughts will help.

Thanks, Dusty

2. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

MX 15 I had one and liked it a lot. Sold it when I moved and stopped shooting have TMX now. Tom

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

As for the Browning comb hardware, they are not the best but you can buy replacement hardware from Graco( and there is another company that slips my mind) that fixes the shotty hardware issue.

I also was shooting a BT 100 and bought a Beretta 682 Gold E Trap Unsingle. I love the Beretta. Coincidently, Berettas comb hardware is junk too. I bought the replacement hardware and replaced it myself. It's a fairly easy swap.

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Before considering the XT I would strong consider the 682 Gold E. I went from the BT100 to the 682 Gold E and have never looked back. Great competition gun. I have never owned a Perazzi, but I would like to. However, I am not too fond of their 2x4 style in wood. I am not too sure about the flat spring that seems to break all the time.

5. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I owned an XT unsingle & really liked the balance & looks of the gun but really didn't like the adjustable rib at all.........sold it & got an MX15 & mounted a PFS on it........love it.

6. Mac55555mn

Mac55555mn TS Member

ive had the baretta 682 un single and went to a perazzi mx 2000 un single, the baretta was like shooting a fence post compared to the perazzi, the felt recoil is much less with the p gun.no problem with perazzi trigger springs as long as u release the hammers when you have finished for the day.get the perazzi if its in your budget. just my opinion,ive had very good scores with both guns, thanks Brad

7. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

I own a MX-15,have had it for almost a year and a half,the Perazzi's have got a feel to them like no other gun I would not hesitate to buy another one if I had the money! As far as the springs breaking I have got over 10,000 rounds thru mine since I bought it...No broken springs yet (knock on wood) You can find nice used MX-15s for around $4,000 and as far as quality it's gunna be tough to find anything better than a Perazzi.

8. RedScare

RedScare Member

Just bought the XT unsingle from guns unlimited. They were real nice. They emailed pics of guns so i could choose from different stocks. I recommend the monte carlo because the adjustable comb from browning is crap and the salesman i had agreed. The gun is great. My only complaint is the hex screw that holds the rib in the center comes loose. Not really an issue. The browning will give you more bang for your buck!!

9. thunder

thunder Active Member

New buy XT unsingle, very good gun for $$$. Look for a used Kolar, sometimes you can find one at a great price.

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I bought an MX 15 shortly after my shooting buddy bought an MX 15. (About 4 years ago.) Very impressive Perazzi quality. Both of us still shooting them with markedly improved scores over the Brownings we were using. Can't go wrong with a good MX 15. You can also fit a set of over/under barrels (MX 14) for doubles. Best Regards, Ed

11. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Beretta 682 Gold E 34" unsingle show gun, chokes ,case , $2600.00
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

12. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I suggest that you may want to TRY a un-single before you buy if you have not already?? I owned two a Winchester 101 and a Beretta 682 could not shoot either of them effectively.Some guys here may have had the same results,just a thought.

Jim

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I loved my MX-15. When I bought a new gun, an MX-2000, I had them put a new 35" MX-15 barrel on it. That barrel was the single best, untouched factory barrel I have ever owned. If you are looking for a slightly higher rib, the MX-10RS will cost about the same.

14. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I purchased a used MX-15 that had Wilkinson barrel work and Briley choke tubes.

Dan a Giacamo's Sporting help me get it into tip-top shape......some referred this as a Tune-up.

Get Gun!!

bkt

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Skip the rest and buy the best-Krieghoff. There are some nice used K-80's out there from time to time very reasonably priced!!

16. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Guerini is the best buy for the buck!

17. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Consider a Guerini Trap unsingle. Love mine. I never shoot my BT-99Plus anymore.

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

New gun? For under $3K, Browning Unsingle with regular stock.

19. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice Guerini......

20. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Unsingles aren't for everyone and the first suggestion is to try before you buy. Many shooters just can't adapt to an unsingle and regret making the purchase. Others however find their shooting is improved when moving from a top barrel to an under single. My choice would be a Guerini as they have the same great dynamics as Perazzi's with all the adjustable features for a lot less money. But the bottom line is always the same, buy what works for you regardless of brand.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.