1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unsingle or top single

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrd, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrd

mrd Member

With the supposed advantages of the unsingle, why are all of the dedicated sigle barrel trap guns such as the Silver Seitz, Infinity, Machone, Alferman, Bowen or Ljutic made in top singles.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Its think its a personal preference thing. Some people can't/won't shoot an Unsingle and vice versa.

Matt

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I've used both & for me the unsingle has the advantage of letting me see the bird quicker & has much less felt recoil. I wouldn't go back to shooting a top single..........to each his own.

4. superump

superump TS Member

The guns I looked at also had a choice of either but the top single rib was not adjustable and the unsingle was. Just another option to improve your POI and getting the gun to shoot where you want it to.

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I have shot them both. Have no preference, that said I shoot a top single all the time now.One Eye rt hand shooter. Bill

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

I shoot both equally poorly.

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I shot an unsingle with a tall rib as that's what everyone was shooting.
    I had a problem with canting the gun as I got a little tired, that tends to throw off your POI.
    Switched to a top single and cant problem went away.
    PS: Kolar makes a top single with an adjustable rib, hope someday to trade my regular Kolar for that model.

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

This discussion is a lot like 7 1/2 or 8s', 1oz or 1 1/8 oz, blondes or redheads. It's whatever your personal preference or what works best for YOU.

Don

9. slodsm

slodsm Member

I have shot both and shoot better with a top single because I like jbmi will cant the gun when tired and also being a 1 eye I shoot off the barrel and that's hard to do when it's a bottom single (for me anyway) so I just stick with a top single.

10. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yoda100, the Perazzi TMX also comes close with its high rib. I have shot The high rib TMX,the K-80 unsingle, and the BT99 with a lower rib than the other two, and if the gun fits you right you can hit with any of them. My personal preference is the looks of the higher rib. Bulge.

11. superump

superump TS Member

I like blondes and redheads equally - NOW WHAT? ha

12. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Yoda you're right he does want to know why SBT's are all top barrel and I think you answered that.

However....

<i>With the supposed advantages of the unsingle...</i>

I don't think this an accurate statement. It appears to me it is more of a shooter preference.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There are a lot of shooters who have been around for awhile and in taking a head count I see more of them shooting a top single which would make the top single's such as those mentioned more marketable in say, a certain generation ... I have shot both and prefer the top single and never considered the lesser amount of recoil of the unsingle to be that much of a difference ... I also have a TMX that I like but will be trying a Remington 90-T high rib, just for kicks which is also a top single but with a high rib much like the TMX ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

The real question should be how high a rib do you want. If you take a top single and put a high rib on it (and stock it appropriately) you have the functional equivalent of an unsingle.

For me, the important factor is how high off the barrel the front of the rib is. Too low, as in Beretta Gold E Top Single, and the heat risers in the summer will mess with your vision. It is tough to lock on a bird through all the shimmer and swirl.

Then there is the matter of "seeing". As the rib gets higher, you are able to see more of the area you will pick the bird up in. Also, you are able to "see around", or "look through" the barrel better.

Once you are high enough FOR YOU, more is a detriment. Also, if you shoot off the end of the barrel, you want a low rib.

So you'll just have to borrow guns and shoot them all. It is the only way to find out what your individual preferences are. Along the way you'll find out what your subconscious targeting system prefers.

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

A couple of the posters above said they cant the gun when they get tired and thus'ly shoot better with a top single............could someone please explain to me why "top" vs "un-" would make any difference in this regard?

John C. Saubak

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"With the supposed advantages of the unsingle, why are all of the dedicated sigle barrel trap guns such as the Silver Seitz, Infinity, Machone, Alferman, Bowen or Ljutic made in top singles."

I think with regard to why the are built on receivers with firing pin in the top of the receiver. Is because they were design before the unsingle was popular and the unsingle was kind of an after thought.

I don't believe that personal preference had anything to do with how they are made.

Bob Lawless

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

John it in their mind.

Bob Lawless

18. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

mrd, The advantage of an unsingle is the manufacturer can make a single barrel trapgun out of an existing double barrel gun, then use the same receiver for a doubles gun. The gun generally would have been designed to be a double barrel not an unsingle or top single. It's probably cheaper to make one one receiver for everything. The guns you named were designed to be single barrel trap guns and I wouldn't call them top singles. Then you have Kolar, who took their existing double barrel receiver and drilled one firing pin hole in the center and called it a midsingle. There is a lot of hype and BS in the business.

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Bob, I s'pect that's so.

John C. Saubak

20. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I'm not trying to be critical, but I don't think your question makes a lot of sense.

The receivers in most, if not all, of the guns you mention have only one firing pin. A top single or an unsingle trap gun has a single barrel fitted to a receiver with two firing pins stacked one on top of the other. Which firing pin is utilized determines whether the gun is a top single or an unsingle, and, of course, determines which barrel is used. In other words, the distinction between the two is one of height of the firing pin/barrel being used relative to the stock and the top of the rib.

To call a gun with a single firing pin a top single ignores the fact that the firing pin is set at a particular height inside the receiver, probably because of gun design considerations. It doesn't make much sense to talk about changing the firing pin height to create a bottom single, since that height is determined by the single firing pin receiver design.

Put another way, if you want your SBT to act like a unsingle, just put a high rib on it and a high comb. The effect is the same as an unsingle - the barrel will be moved to a lower position relative to the rib and your head/shoulder, just like an unsingle. I speak from experience - I did this with an 1100 (by installing both a high rib and a high comb) and I found that it shot as well as both my unsingles, which was not true when the gun was configured as a SBT from the factory. My attempt to do the same thing with a Beretta UGB25 was only partially successful, mostly because the gun came out very heavy. I'm still working on that one.

And FWIW, I've been trying to have a Silver Seitz made with a high rib and a high comb, with dimensions similar to the unsingle configuration of my Kolar Max T/A). So far, no luck, which I think is mostly because of the expense of designing and manufacturing the high rib. I expect that creating the high comb stock would be relatively easy, based on my experience with the two other guns mentioned above.

Ted K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best single barrel trap gun
best unsingle shotguns

best unsingle trap gun

bowen trap guns vs alferman
top single or unsingle
unisingle trap gun vs single
unsingle or top single
unsingle shotguuns