1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unsingle advantage versus standard O/U?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Citori Shooter, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,I would like to know the advantage of having a unsingle barrel versus a standard O/U.Also,if I were to buy a new unsingle combo Citori XT from Guns Unlimited,for example,it would cost about $1300.00 more than a standard O/U;does the advantages of the unsingle barrel justify the extra investment??Thank you for your insight.

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I was told the only advantage of an unsingle is for a two eyed shooter. You are able to look below the rib to get an earlier sight of the target. Think about this. The makers of truly high end SBT guns don't make an unsingle. Seitz, Bowen, Infinity & Alfermann- are not barking up the wrong tree.

Phil Berkowitz

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I think one could offer a few possible advantages, depending upon the make, and if we consider the Browning specifically... and if using for handicap

(1) Adjustable rib on the unsingle... allows for dialing in POI and compensating for distance, in conjunction with the adjustable comb.

(2) Heat dispersement (sic?!) taller rib, better radiator to minimize heat wave off from barrel.

(3) Weight - if you need only one barrel, why lug two?

My $0.02,

Jay

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I shoot an MX-2000RS combo with 34" O/U and 35" unsingle barrels. The two barrel sets weigh within 1oz of each other, and move just about the same.

As 635G says, the unsingle lets you look around the rib more so you certainly do pick up the target faster. The longer barrel is a little more precise, pointing wise.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd buy an MX-2005 o/u and be done with it. The rib is as high above the Over barrel as it is on my current unsingle, so the improved "vision" is the same. I've found that using my current O/U barrels for singles improves my doubles scores. If I had a selectable trigger, I'd use my Over barrel for handicap. That automatically raises your POI a bit, so you wouldn't have to adjust the gun for mid-yardage handicap.

The only advantage I now see in having a combo (assuming both barrel sets are within an inch of each other in length) is you can set the O/U up flatter shooting for singles and double and the unsingle for long range caps.

Since the gun you are considering has a selectable trigger and choke tubes, you have everything you need with just the O/U. Want to shoot a top single for caps? Put the F choke in the top barrel and have at it. Unsingle? Put the F in the bottom.

BTW, think long and hard about buying a 34"/30" or even a 34"/32" combo. If you shoot anything other than flat or nearly flat, the changes in sight picture may drive you nuts. That was certainly the case with my previous 35"/31.5" combo.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot a combo. The great advantage of shooting the single barrel for singles and handicap is that I can't put the shell in the wrong barrel. Remember, you can only put the shell in the wrong barrel twice per sub event without losing a bird.

Pat Ireland

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Pat,
    Old age sucks doesn't it?

I did that when I shot only an O/U and it is a rather foolish feeling.

Wilehunting,
    Only you can determine if the unsingle will help you shoot better. As most of the better shooters use a dedicated singles/HC gun they must think it offers some advantage. For example, if you wish to have the POI 100% high for singles/HC and 80% for doubles, having separate barrels makes sense.

One fellow at the club shoots his O/U for everything as he does not shoot his single barrel very well. I suspect the POI is too high on his unsingle and the flatter set up of the O/U suits his style better.

Don Verna

7. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Leo Harrison shoots his O/U barrel for singles, although he uses a single barrel from the 27 yard line. I have seen folks with O/U barrels do very well at handicap, but it seems the majority are using SBT's.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

635 G

"I was told the only advantage of an unsingle is for a two eyed shooter. You are able to look below the rib to get an earlier sight of the target. Think about this. The makers of truly high end SBT guns don't make an unsingle. Seitz, Bowen, Infinity & Alfermann- are not barking up the wrong tree."

Phil if you are a one eyed shooter and are holding above the farthest edge of the roof on the trap house you are already at a disadvantage.

True the makers of high end trap guns don't make unsingles but they do all offer high ribs and at least half of the ones you mentioned the ribs are adjustable the Bowen and Alfermann I don't know about. After all isn't that the advantage in the first place the ability to set the POI where you want it. The reason most offer a unsingle is it is the most economical way that allows the most room to mount and fit the hardware needed for the movable rib.

wilehunting it really a matter of preference my suggestion is to shoot one or two before you buy one.

Bob Lawless

9. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Well, I agree visibility on the un-single is better. I found the real advantage to be heat waves off the gun don't exist in the un-single (visually in your sight picture), and that is a big difference. I have to identical singles - one un one over. I shoot both about the same, but the un is my first choice because of the heat issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

advantage of unsingle

advantage of unsingle combo

is longer barrel better at handicap trap

unsingle trapgun advantages

what is the advantage of an unsingle shotgun for trap