1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unsingle Adjustable Rib Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by illiniphil, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

Just purchased a new SKB 85TTR. Have a question on point of impact. If I want to maintain the SAME point of impact that currently exists on the gun, but then raise the adjustable stock, do I raise or lower the adjustable rib to keep the point of impact the same?

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

If you want to have the same POI, both the bead and the comb must move in the same direction. Bear in mind, if you raise the front of the rib 1/4" and raise the comb 1/4" to match, your POI will be the same, but you will see a different alignment of the two beads. There will probably be space between them.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You would do whatever you need to to the rib to increase the distance between the front bead and the center of the bore at the muzzle. That's what I think anyway. You know, this is one of those rare new questions so you might get a better answer anon.

A pattern board at 13 yards would go a long way to confirming or disproving any of the advice you read here and that's _always_ a good idea..

Neil

4. butcher

butcher Member

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE BEAD ALIGNMENT WOULD BE THE SAME AS YOU ARE ADJUSTING BOTH THE RIB AND THE COMB EQUALLY?

5. Neil Winston

. . . that's why you test, charger. After a season with a teeter-totter rib I've quit making predictions and not just because of the rib. Though shooters are flexible, raising a comb does more than raise your head, it rotates it as well and sometimes it seems like a change is much bigger than predicted.

Neil

6. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Phil,
    As Neal stated. Put it on paper at 13 yds. Make your adjustments(raising the front of the rib after raising the comb) and put it on paper at 13 yds. That way yo know that you are or are not shooting the same POI.

There is not short cut. You just need to put in the time at the patterning board to get it right

Dr. Honk

7. WWB

WWB Member

Neil
    I know this has been covered prior to this message, but can you iterate once again why the patterning should be done at 13 yds? Also does this hold true no matter what load is used ie: 1 oz or 1 1/8th oz.
    Thank you
    Bill

8. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Bill, Neil and others may answer this question better than I, but you are not checking the pattern at 13yds.; you are checking POI. Check your patterns at 32yd, 40yds or whatever distance you feel you break 16 and hdc. targets.

In all of the testing I have done, it doesn't make any difference if you use 10z. or 1 l/8oz loads to check POI. I bench my gun, use full choke at 13yds. and usually shoot at least 5 shots to determine how many inches high my gun is shooting and if it is shooting right on left or right. I then shoot 4 more while standing. Hope this helps.

Good shooting

Steve

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you put more powder in your shells, will that raise or lower your POI? HMB

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'm betting on it raising your POI.. if appreciably at all...

11. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Illiniphil,I imagine u r looking straight down the barrel and want to keep ur beads stacked ,yet still adjust ur poi---my question is why? I think u would be better served by forgetting bead alignment--forget the middle bead and put the front bead on a target on a pattern board. Pattern for the poi u want. Have u ever tried looking above the barrel[not straight down it] when calling for the target?Try looking out into space around 15 yards in front of the trap house,call for the bird and go get it---ur peripheral vision will pick up the bead/end of gun barrel and u will know when to pull the trigger almost automatically--keeping beads aligned and trying to aim straight down the barrel results in "bead checking" and going back and forth from the barrel to the target--just look at the target and let it rip.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bill- Check the POI at 13 yards because at that distance, the center of the pattern can accurately be determined. Then you have to remember, that for trap shooters, 13 X 3 = 40 yards. It is reasonably accurate to conclude that 3 inches high at 13 yards = 9 high at 40 yards. If you want to be a little more accurate I can give you the numbers for gravity fall and the distance from the center of the bore to the top of the front sight, but this is not necessary to get a fairly good measurement of the POI at 40 yards.

Be sure to test the POI at 13 yards with at least 5 shots, 10 might be better. Use a solid rest.

Pat Ireland

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

charger, the SKB 85TTR adjusts from the front and pivots at the rear of the rib. If you adjust the rib so the bead is 1/4" higher, you necessarily see more rib. When you raise the comb by 1/4" to match, you see even more rib.

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If you want to maintain the SAME point of impact that currently exists on the gun, then why would you want to raise the comb?

John C. Saubak

15. Neil Winston

oops.... deleted

16. lancelot

lancelot Member

Neil and Pat are much more versed in this area than I, but these are my thoughts. They exclude the original K-80.

Before we had adj. ribs, but did have adj. combs it was pretty simple. You raised the comb to raise the poi, and lowered the comb to lower it. This resulted in a different sight picture you learned to live with. The new adj. ribs let us follow the same general procedure, but when we raise or lower the comb we can adjust the rib to more or less keep the sight picture we are accustomed to.

When you raise the comb to get a higher POI you lower the front of the rib, and raise the back, and you have not changed the original sight picture much. Alot of my friends feel you can change POI with just a rib adjustment, it doesn't work for me. Nor does Perazzi think so because in their instruction book which they ship with their guns they state you must change the comb and rib together.

If someone really wanted to raise the comb and not change POI maybe they could RAISE the front of the rib, get used to the new sight picture, and not have much of an effect on the POI.

Again, MHO. Ron Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rib on unsingle not straight