1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unselectable trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Aug 12, 2013.

1. butcher

butcher Member

Jan 5, 2006
    On an o/u that shoots the bottom barrel first is there away to shoot the top barrel first on singles and without damage to the gun?
  2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Rochester, NY
    Depends on the gun.

Most likely not without disabling the mechanism by which the under barrel hammer is cocked, or removing the hammer completely.

If you can set the gun so the hammer is down (fired) all the time, even after the gun is opened, it will automatically default to the upper barrel.

This should be able to be accomplished on about any gun by removing the under hammer, or by different parts removal depending on the gun.

The question you have to ask yourself would be is it worth it if it requires partial disassembly of your gun every time you want to switch back and forth.
  3. mjsweims

mjsweims Member

Mar 5, 2010
    I would do this on a SXS with non selectable triggers when shooting trap. I wanted to keep barrel temperatures somewhat equal.
    For the right barrel just insert a shell and fire. To shoot the left barrel first use a snap cap in the right barrel and a shell in the left. Pull the trigger, call for the bird, then pull the trigger again.
    The same should hold with an O/U with a mechanical trigger.
    (Or am I getting inertia and mechanical triggers confused again.)
  4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Using a snap cap as described above sounds like a very serious accident waiting to happen; Not a good idea.
  5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    And it won't work unless you have mechanical triggers. HMB