1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unsafe load?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Got a shooting bud using the following recipe: Clays,CCI 209, Downrange XL-1, in Remington hulls-----no scale, but using a MEC 34 bushing--(18.9grs-per Hodgdon guide)--

I told him to use a 32 bushing & get a scale.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I'd have told him to get a scale, then a bushing.

Neil

3. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Phil I think you or some one should give your friend a hands lesson in reloading. It could save someone from getting hurt. So far you heading him in the right direction.

4. Beni

Beni Member

I now use a scale to check my loads but did not in the past. Ive always trusted what the load books data had published to be correct. We always trusted published reports from guys like Don Zutz and the like. Ive loaded everything from high powered rifle to shotgun slugs and have weighed every charge,however I do not weigh every charge for my shotgun target loads. I feel there in no need too. Beni

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I've gone either a bushing up or a bushing down from recommended bushing use, sometimes as many as two bushing sizes depending on powder. A Jr. will drop different than a Progressive.

6. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

SCALE 1st, reloading bushing charts vary,reloaders vary, how there mounted can make it vary, powder lots vary, show him a pic of blown gun/bbls, and a pic of a disfigured arm, fingers, ect..

7. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

That is the reason I would never use a reloaded shell from anyone but myself. I always use a scale and don't go by the book on what bushing to use. I myself have hade to go up or down 1 to 2 bushings.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Check your drops with a scale! Select the bushings accordingly.

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

And people wonder why guns blow up...with loaders not using a scale and not using good safety precautions. Regards, Ed

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

It not just the bushings that can be milled differently or the reloading information can be misinterpreted... its us! I use my loading tools in a particular method, which may or may not lend itself to compacting powder more or less than someone else using my machine or a similar tool...

We're all different and we have to measure that difference... I still check my same recipes upon changing out my machines, just to make sure, I haven't inadvertently swapped in a wrong bushing... $hit happens...

regards all,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.