1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

unsafe hunter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nailer123, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

My dad i take or take this older man hunting with us . He just loves it but he carry his gun low and when we have a down bird it is always pointed at me . How do i put it in a nice way to watch his gun .

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"How do I put it in a nice way to watch his gun."

You can't sugar coat it or be politically correct when your life is in danger.

Put it in clear, certain terms, that YOU DO NOT WANT A GUN, LOADED OR NOT, POINTED AT YOU!

Maybe next time before you go with him, warn him in advance that "hey, the last few times we've been hunting, I've noticed you aren't being real safe with your muzzle control. In fact, on several occasions, yoru loaded gun was pointed directly at me. You must stop this. I don't want to die."

You must be blunt.

3. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Leave him home.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

"Please point your gun the other way".

There, now, wasn't that easy?

HM

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Tell him to point the gun in the air straight up! If that dosen't do the trick ask him if he's related to Dick Cheny nad if that doesn't work slap the snot out of him and take the gun!

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

How do I put it in a nice way to watch his gun ..? There is no nice way to tell a man "Please Don't Kill me" is there ..? Well, I guess you could drop the "Please" ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. BustClays

BustClays Member

"Point that at me again and I'll stick it up your ass!"

bustclays

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

First tell your father that this is unsafe and you want to talk to "joe" about it yourself privately

There really isnt anything to negotiate- hopefully this hunter has never learned the right and wrong ways to do things and will change immediately but if he doesnt- dont hunt with him

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Would you ride with a drunk driver! Why hunt with a proven unsafe hunter!

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

So sugar coat it a bit,

Start talking to your dad about how the guy's at the gun club are always talking about about being uncomfortable ANY time they look into the muzzle of a gun!

Then go into, " a bunch of the guy's have started making a rule, " if you find yourself looking into a muzzle, YOU own that gun!"" "Let's all do that and see what happens!"

You might find out, that every gun in the hunting party changes hands several times during the hunt though! But on the other hand more awareness of were the muzzles of every gun, in the hunting party are really pointing, is NOT a bad thing either.

Al

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Don't hunt with him. If he's old, he's probably learned this habit over time, and people tend to slide back into their habits. He'll do it again when you don't expect it.

When you die...you stay dead a long time.

12. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

A long time ago , 4 of us hunted together about 4-5 times when at the end of this day , one guy said he always had his gun off safe incase a bird got up , he would be ready . Well , we told him that was wrong and he said he`s been doing this since he started hunting !!! Needless to say , it was the last time he hunted with me or the other guys . By the way , we all worked at the same shop and he never asked why he wasn`t asked to go along anymore ????

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

He may not realize it. Just say, "__________ would you mind pointing that gun away from me?" "I really don't feel comfortable when you do that." If he is doing unintentionally, he'll realize it and not do it again.

If he does do it again, "If you don't stop pointing your gun at me, I'll drop you where you stand".

Would you let another man point a gun at any time? Why would you let one do it while "hunting"? I care too much for my family to leave them without me due to the carelessness of someone else!!!

14. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

No Please this or please that, tell him as directly as possiable that he is NOT to point that barrel at you or any onr else. If he dose not comply either he leaves or you do, it is just to dangerous.

You do not have to be polite, he is a dam fool....

Just my thought.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"Most hunters I know wouldn't even finish the first hunt with this guy."</i><br>
    <br>
    Correct answer.<br>
    <br>
    Like trapshooters say, "Safe or out". Same thing. "Safe or back to the car." Nothing gets the message across like ending the hunt right then and there.<br>
    <br>
    I seriously doubt he has a hunters safety certificate or card. Tell him if he wants to hunt with you again, he needs to present a recently dated card. The course will do him (and everyone around him) good.<br>
    <br>
    The two worst groups of people I see for hunting mistakes are novices who exempt (because of age) from the hunters safety class, and some old guys who have been hunting all their life and are set in their unsafe ways. "Never had an accident before" is their usual response.<br>
    <br>
    The biggest compliment I've received was when another hunter said he was impressed with my son's safe gun handling, and had a standing invite to go hunting with him any time he wanted. And this gentleman was tough as nails on safety.

16. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

He's older than you so you have to be respectful but you do not have to tolerate his lack of safety. Next time you go out, ask your Dad on the QT to remind all in the party just before heading into the field to be watchful of muzzle position and safety. If this guy slips up, say something like, Hey, you're pointing that thing right at me, be careful. If it happens after that or if he gives you and or your dad attitude, tell your dad you will not hunt with that guy again, period. Whatever you do, don't get attitude with him. He may be an idiot with whom you will never hunt with again, but he is your senior and that requires respect.

Many will more than likely take me to task for this position but it is the gentlemanly way of handling an important issue. We must be vigilant and safe minded but we also must avoid being deliberately and unnecessarily disrespectful. To be correct, firm and still maintain an attitude of respect is the mark of a superior gentleman sportsman.

17. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Respectfully, omgb, I take safety more seriously than that.

19. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

The is no mention in this post regarding the experience level of the hunter in question. Just because he is old, doesn't mean he knows what many of us were taught and learned when we were 12 years old, or thereabout. For the past 25 +/- years I have been invited to a 3 day hunt, involving 30+ hunters. The guest list is pretty constant, but there are occasional additions and subtractions to it. This is a European style drive hunt; hunters are positioned around a large block of land and the game is driven out by dogs and their handlers. A few years ago, the newly elected Mayor of our small town was invited. On the first day of the hunt, he carelessly fired at a deer crossing a logging road, taking no notice of the position of the adjacent hunter.The adjacent hunter was struck by a buckshot pellet. Luckily, he wasn't seriously injured, but only the distance between the hunters prevented a tragedy from occurring.Afterward,it became apparent that no one had bothered to inquire regarding this man's experience level. I didn't really know the fellow before this incident and certainly had never hunted with him. I learned afterward that he hardly knew how to load his borrowed gun. It's easy to say, in retrospect, that someone should have checked him out. It's even easier to offer the excuse that everyone, including myself, (about 30+ seasoned outdoorsmen) "assumed" that he knew what he was doing.Neither of these views/positions is a satisfactory one. Safety is EVERYONE'S business.Until the skills, knowledge and abilities of a stranger are known , it is our responsibility to insure that each person we hunt/shoot with is competent to do so safely and to educate/correct forcefully them when they are not competent. My $.02 worth.

20. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

There shouldn't be anything nice about gun safety.
    -Trappy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.