1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"unloading" shells. Tips, tricks, etc.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dan S., Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

I need to unload and salvage shot only, from about 600 - 800 shells. (Don't ask it's a long story). Anyway does anyone on here have any ideas of a simple way to cut open and save the shot. The rest of the components are disposable! Thanks ahead of time! By the way, I've tried the box cutter route but ended up with occasional bits of wad mixed in with the shot. Not a terrible scenario but I prefer not to have to sift through it afterwards.

2. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

That's a great idea. Someone suggested to cut the shells lengthwise with a box cutter which would only slit the wad petal not cut it off. I might try that also. I'm curious TC, how many shells did you cut open that way?

3. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

I often use a pair of pointed needle nose pliars to unfold the crimp. They need to be thin and pointed to push into the crimp. Unfold the crimp, pour out the shot, pull out the wad with the pliars, pour out the powder(if there is any LOL), and then you can many times reuse the hull or deprime it. 600 will take a while, no matter what you do.

john

4. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

You first need to go to the hardware store and buy a PVC pipe cutter. The one I have is red and it opens up so the pipe goes in and it closes and then you grip the handle and in two grips of the handle it cuts the shell. Its a ratchet time. You grip it once and it goes so far and grip it again it goes some more. I cut just above the brass base and just below the crimp. I do all this ove a bowl to catch the shot and powder. You then take a punch and put it on a block of wood with a hole in it for the primer to fall in to or through. That has been the easiest way that I have found to take care of my mistakes with reloading.

5. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

If you do it the way I said you save all things but the hull.

6. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

tailbuster...That does sound like more work but I would think it would not deform as much of the shot as squeezing with the cutter as described above. I might give it a try. Thanks. As I said before, the rest of the components are disposable. Wad, primer, and powder are all not desireable to me. Just the shot. These are freebie shells loaded by someone who passed and I don't trust the powder or primers anymore. But free shot is free shot.

7. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I think MotorDoc on this thread sells a shell cutter that uses aluminum casing about the size of a soap bar, and sharp cutter blades. I bought a 12/20 GA. but I believe he has a 4 gauge unit that is slightly more. I am just a 12 Ga. guy. It works great, and 800 shells would not begin to dent the cutter. The best part, you can save the wad, powder and shot if so inclined to do so. Only thing left is a primer if new, and I don't have a Mec or anything like a supersizer, so if I screw up a shell, the primer goes out with the half hull that is left. Very slick setup. I have seen some out of wood also, but can testify to the great quality and operation of the aluminum unit.

8. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Here is the unit that Didreckson mentioned above. Click on the link above to go to the last thread that Motordoctor had going. I have one of these and bought a 4 gauge one for my Brother (skeet shooter - oh, the shame - LOL) as a gift. They work so well that you almost enjoy having bad shells so you can use this little gem. Bill Malcolm

9. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I take a mechanics right angle pick about 6 inches long and 1/2" right angle pick. I unfold the crimp and pour the shot out.

I then take my pocket knife and cut the crimped part of the hull off just above the wad.

I then take small needle nose pliers and pull the wad out.

I then pour out the powder.

I then deprime it.

All is reused except the hull. Ray.......

10. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I just cut the outer edge of the crimp off with a pair of the heavy duty scissors. The whole crimp comes off with no cutting of the wad. Wad can usually be pulled with just the finger as the crimp is completely gone.

11. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Didreckson & Beretta687EELL have the best way to open up a shell and save either shot, wad, powder and primer or all of these components.

With the shell cutter block shown above, just open the swing out cutter bar, insert the shell, close the cutter bar & hold in place with thumb pressure, rotate the shell 370 degrees, rotate the block to where the shell is vertical & down, open the swing out cutter bar, the cut shell will drop into your open palm, separate the forward half of the cut shell from that of the rear half while applying finger pressure to the hull to maintain the wad in place, the shot will drop out, remove and save the wad, pour out and save the powder, de-prime the hull and save the primer, now throw away the two parts of the separated hull.

The shot can be removed in about 10 seconds per shell following this sequence if that is all you are interested in saving. The entire sequence thanks less than 60 sec per shell with no cut or pricked fingers.

12. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

If all you care about is saving the shot, get a large container to catch the shot so you don't have to be too careful, and just use a pair of pliers to mash the end of the shell, about 3/8" back from the end. You'll learn where the best spot is---pooches the crimp out in a spiral and the shot rains out. You can do it about as fast as you can pick the shells up.

13. rich2029

rich2029 TS Member

There is a unit called D-Loader....Last Address 7430 Cape Cod Circle, Indianapolis,IN 48250.

I bought one way back....It's a wooden block with a built in razor. You can put in any size shotshell in it. You just circle the hull in it and it cuts in just the outer case. You can save all the components except the primer.
    It cost 8.00.
    You might find the unit in Percision or Bronwells.......

Rich

14. rich2029

rich2029 TS Member

Found the unit for you at precision.
    The page is at:
    http://www.precisionreloading.com/2004catalog.htm

Good Luck............Rich

15. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Another vote for Motordoc's cutter!

16. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Unfortunately, Motordoc is out of the shell cutters and won't have any more.

Any ideas? Anyone got one to sell?

Tony

17. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

In that case just get a pair of garden clippers and go to work. I have founds that when you don't care about the wad then just cut about 1/4 to 1/2 and inch above the brass. You will then have cut the wad in two pieces one piece will keep the powder from coming out and the other piece will keep the shot in place. You then take a pair of needlenose pliers and pull the cup part of the wad out and you have the shot.

18. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

A razor knife cut 1/8 under the crimp and the shot falls into a container then set the hull aside to finish all the reclaimed lead then pull out the wad and save the powder . Simplest way . I`ve done a few 5 gallon buckets myself . May have to resharpen the blade .

19. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Rich, they are 13.99 at precision now. Thanks for the info and found several other items to order from them as well. Jackie B.

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I bought a shell cutter from a guy that use to advertise here. It's made of wood, comes from Mont., I believe. $22.00, works great. Maybe you can find him on an old tread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.