1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Uniwad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shaggist, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaggist

shaggist Member

When did Uniwads disappear from the shooting scene? I believe they were made by a company called Precision Plastics in CA. I used them in Federal Papers, Federal Champion IIs, Winchester AAs, and Remington RXPs with great success. The X-shaped anvil that fit down inside the wad would adjust to your shot column when you crimped it, so that the entire column would be down inside the wad. When you fired, the anvil collapsed even more, so that the shot were protected all the way out the barrel. Great wads and made for great patterns.

Or am I thinking about Trico wads. An old memory is a pitiful thing.
    Jack

2. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

I just finished reloading the last of my Lage Uniwad last month. I liked how smooth they loaded.

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Farmers Bros. Manuf, in Eldora IA

They came with loading info.

I have a Lyman Shotshell Handbook No 2 (1976) that has loading for for this wad.

Link above from threads back in 07.

4. lostandout

lostandout Member

any loads for greendot or hurco i have a bag of these and never knew what they were

brian

5. lostandout

lostandout Member

win 209 nitro hull 1 1/8 oz 1250 fps

brian

6. lostandout

lostandout Member

thanks rick i bought some reloading stuff from one of the old timers and these were in with it when i ask him what they were he replied that they are the best wad ever made but that was all i got out of him maybe ill try this load as i have all of the components

brian

7. lostandout

lostandout Member

i was kinda confused as to how they even went into the hull at first but after this post i have been enlightened

8. seitz10

seitz10 Member

A gentleman from Iowa named Fred Lage was the originator of the uniwad, and made them back in the 70's. Fred would give you a bag for every 100 straight you shot and this was his promotion of the wad. Farmers brothers then bought the rights to mfg wads. The wads were great as they could be loaded in almost all cases with wad design.

9. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I loaded Lage Uniwads for years. still have 1000 or so ( not for sale)

11. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

The early Uniwads had a styrofoam plug in the shot cup. This collapsed to paper thin when the shell was fired. The Uniwad worked well in just about any hull. Loading that wad made life simpler at that time in deciding which wad to use in which hull. I think I used them when loading Remington/Peters All American hulls. They also worked well in loading AA hulls. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

12. shaggist

shaggist Member

Looking back through some of my loading data, I came across this recipe in which I used Uniwads in all my different hulls-AA, RXP, Fed.Paper, and Fed Champion II. It was a Fed.209 primer, Uniwad, 1 1/8 oz shot, and 25.0 grains of Dupont SR-7625, giving a nominal velocity of 1155 fps, at 5500 LUPs, out of a Fed. Paper.

There is also an International Trap load that used everything the same, except 27.5 grn SR-7625 for 1260 fps, with a chamber pressure of 6700 LUPs.

These come out of my Dupont Handloaders Guide 1975-1976. There are 12 pages with 65 load combinations/page (780), depending on which hull, wad, & powder you are using with 1 1/8oz loads. Really interesting reading, if you can find an old copy.
    Jack

13. lostandout

lostandout Member

jack thanks for the pm when you mentioned the dupont reloader guide it started me thinking so i looked and i also have one from 1975 76 so i started to look thru it and there seems to be some loads with 700 x and 7625 and pb

brian erlewein

14. targetbreaker

targetbreaker Active Member

I have 2000 of them, that is 4 bags of 500 each.
    might sell, if the price is right.

15. shaggist

shaggist Member

For those of you who have Uniwads and need reloading data for them, go to Gunbroker and type Uniwad in the search box. A seller has 10 reprints of the original Lage Uniwad Reloading Data (24 pages) for $6.95 each + shipping. Since I, and a lot of other reloaders, consider them to be the best wad we ever loaded for tight, evenly consistent patterns, you might want to acquire a copy, so that you, too, can experience the joy of the Uniwad, until yours run out. It will help your handicap shooting immensely. I don't reload anymore, so I'll want a report on your findings.
    Jack

16. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Targetbreaker, ill take your wads. BYG

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

They are OK.

I think how "great" they are/ were is being vastly overstated.

I patterne the Uni-Wd with hunting loads many times and they were no better then many and not as good as some. That is I counted holes in a 30 inch circle at 45 yards and many wads put more pellets in the same circle.

The thing they were good at was allowing one wad to be used for a large amount of loads.

Jack of all trades and master of none would be my opinion on the Uniwad. They are just sort of OK. Jeff

18. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I still have 400-450 that I doubt I'll ever use since I only load 7\8 oz & occasionally a few 1oz. would trade for TGTs. PM your info or phone #. Ross Puls

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where the old injection molds are for these wads? I would be interested at looking at them. Being two piece they would be labor intensive to put them together before bagging but, if there's a market for them maybe it would be worth making them.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Barry, I'm sending you a PM.

Hap