1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by singles, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. singles

singles Member

Does anyone use Universal powder for a 1 1/8oz handicap load? Is it a clean burning powder? Thanks in advance.

2. singles

singles Member

Thanks. Would you be willing to post or PM me your recipe that you use and like.

3. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

I find it to be a very good powder,and it lives up to it's name,clean burning.I even use it in pistol's.If you go to the Hodgdon web site you'll find more than enough info.

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I stock and use Universal for 20 and 28. Great powder for those gauges. I'd love to use it in three gauges (12,20, 28), but my results in the 12 gauge weren't good. A high price per pound and high charge weight makes for an expensive 12 gauge load.

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

singles

Applications for Universal Clays starts with a minimum payload of 1 1/8 oz. running at no less than 1200 fps. It will make body rocking full boom handicap bullets for sure. FWIW, it takes at least 22 grains in tapered hulls - more than that in Gold Medals.

I would respectfully disagree with Captin. Universal is slower burning than Green Dot. It's closer to Unique or AA540. If someone were looking for a Hodgdon product similar to Green Dot, they'd want International Clays.

sissy

6. 870compman

870compman TS Member

I use Universal in my 20 and 28 gauge loads mostly because it is available in my area and I can use it for both sub gauges reloads. I use Promo for my 12 gauge reloads.

Only having two shotgun powders in my shotgun reloading bench reduces the chance of an error by putting the wrong powder in my reloads.

Sincerely,

Dale Wolff

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Universal Clays is a decent powder. It's close to Unique in burning rates and performance, but more costly. I usually use Unique in the applications where Universal would be appropriate. I also use a LOT of Unique in pistol loads, so I only need to buy a couple of kegs for pistol and use whatever I need for the 12ga or 20ga when I need it. People tell me that Universal Clays is "Cleaner" than other powders, but ALL powders leave something behind. If you load to reasonable pressures, you shouldn't have any trouble.

8. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

For handicap loads, I prefer Hodgdon International Clays. It's softer shooting and cleaner burning than Universal Clays. Universal Clays works well for 1310fps sporting clays loads similar to the Remington Nitro Sporting Clays loads. Bob

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

With all due respect I disagree about the comment between Universal and International Clays. I've used both and now use Universal Clays for my handicap load. Its cleaner, softer shooting and looks a lot different than Clays so I feel better about not getting them mixed up.

My load is, Rem. STS Nitro hulls, Rem. Fig.8 wads, Win. 209 primer and 22.5 gr. of Universal Clays. For me its the same as shooting at the 16's when on the 27 yard line but I just can't hit as many. LOL

What ever you use go by the book to stay safe.

Bill

10. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I agree with Likes-to-shoot. Universal is definately a softer recoiling powder compared to international and pretty close to the same recoil as unique, using th exact same components in all shells. I dont shoot registered targets or anything closer than the 27 yard line so I like universal in my long range shoot off shell. I load 24 grains in a green remington premier hull, 1 1/16 oz of 5's and 6's mixed, clay buster figure 8 wad, and a fiocchi primer. this shell will hang dirt balls at 60-80 yards so i would assume it would work for closer handicaps, lol. BYG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.