1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal Clays powder for handicap loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shrek, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shrek

shrek Active Member

Anyone on here use Universal (Clays) powder for handicap loads.

I am would like to try it for some 1 1/8 oz 1200 fps loads and am curious if other folks have tried it, how they liked or did not like it.

Thanks

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If you are wanting 1200fps loads there is better powders on the market. If you're looking for something in the 1250-1300fps area, this powder really starts to shine. Just think of it as Hodgdon's version of Unique.

ss

3. seymore/82

seymore/82 Active Member

Shrek, I have been loading Universal for years. It is a very clean burning powder. I load more into the 1250fps or so I think. I'm loading what was suggested in a Hogdon Booklet. Winchester Hull and Winchester white wad with a #33 Mec bushing. I use a cheddite primer though. If no Hodgon information Hodgon on line can get you where you want to be. Seymore/82.

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Shrek...........I use it in Remington hulls, 23.7 gr. Universal, Rem. fig.8 and win. 209 primer. 1255 fps. I used Clays International before but Universal is by far cleaner and a better product in my mind. Besides now I can clearly tell the difference between powders, with Clays being the other one I use for 16's and doubles.

Bill

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

For 1-1/8 ounce at about 1200 fps, I think Hodgdon Titegroup is a better handicap powder, but that's just my opinion.

Universal is great for 20 gauge and 28 gauge.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's fine for 1250 fps caps in the 12ga. It is not very economical, but it works well. My preference in that velocity range would be Unique. It is more economical and there appears to be a LOT of other loads, uses, and data for it. I'd probably go to Green Dot for the 1200 fps loads. The pressure would likely be more optimal and you would use less powder to get the same velocity, making it more economical by charge weight and cost per pound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

universal clay powder loads

universal clays powder for trap

universal clays trap load