1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal Clays 12 gauge Reloading Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jennifer, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Does anybody know why Universal Clays is OK to use for 3/4 and 7/8 oz 20 & 28 gauge loads and 1-1/8 and 1-1/4 oz 12 gauge loads, but NOT 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads? Just wondering, as we have a large quantity of Universal for our 28 gauge guns that we hardly ever use, and I'm going to be loading some 7/8 oz 12 gauge. I've always used Clays for all my 12 gauge stuff but I was perusing the Hodgdon recipes because I was interested in using some of the Universal up, and noticed it's only listed for heavy 12 gauge loads of 1-1/8 oz or more.

Regards,

Jennifer

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have used it for 1 1/8 ounce loads and it was ok for that.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It would probably be that the Universal Clays powder is too slow burning to be suitable for loads with much less than 1 1/8 oz of shot in 12 gauge. It is much better suited for the 20 and 28 gauge loads as you had mentioned. You would be much better served by using a faster powder such as Red Dot, Promo, Clays, Clay Dot, 700-X, etc, with the 7/8 oz 12 ga loads.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Slow burning, yes. The larger bore of the 12 , coupled witht he lightness of the shot charges you mentioned, would probably bring pressures down to a level that would have inconsistent velocity and incomplete burning.

In short, erratic and dirty.

HM

5. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

That makes sense Quack Shot & halfmile, but then why is it not too slow burning for 3/4 oz and 7/8 oz 28 & 20 gauge loads? Just wondering, it's not a national emergency or anything. I'll stick to the Clays as I always have - I just wondered why the discrepancy.

Thanks guys,

Jennifer

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Because the small bore sizes help keep the pressure up. Not as much volume to fill up and keep full of gas as the shot/wad column moves down the bore.

Jim

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I buy some components from the skeet shooters at my local club. I also did reload with clays as well. Anyway there is no powder that loads all three ga.'s,28,20, and 12 that is. A while back(Hercules) before alliant cleaned up the green dot and red dot powders, some skeet shooters would load all three with green dot. DO NOT DO THIS TODAY. It will result in some really high chamber pressures in one of the gauge's (not sure which one). I'm sure it is the chamber pressures, and burn time as well. Hope this helps alittle. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12 gauge reloading data for clays

12ga 1 oz loads with universal clays
universal 12 gauge load data
universal clays in 1 oz 12 ga loads
universal clays reloading 12 ga data
universal for 12 ga loads
universal powder 12 guage loads
using hodgon clays for 12 gauge