1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal charge bars.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dove Commander, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

fax or call Mayville Engineering Co. you can get address off the web site

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Sorry. Forgot Mec doesn't make the UCB. I'll see if I can find the manufacturer.

3. BMC

BMC Member

Try the link above.

4. famill00

famill00 TS Member

The charts they provide are useless. You MUST use a scale to measure your drop weights. I have no problems out of mine.

Forrest

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Forrest is right, forget the suggested settings for powder drops; that chart is good only for folding up and tossing in the nearest round file. Use your very good scale instead. If, however, you are looking for the instructions for installing and getting in operating, then by all means seek a copy. The biggest bug-a-boo folks run into is finding the "perfect" setting for powder drops, not so much the shot. Here's the basics: Start with no powder and only the shot bottle with just enough to make several tests. Crank out a shot drop and weigh it. If it's too high, turn the dial to well toward a smaller number. Test it again and do that until you are several grains under your desired drop. Then work your way up, moving only the upward direction, in small increments until you are getting shot drops that are within your range of acceptable - don't expect it to be perfect since shot is not perfect and you're weighing volume drops - not weight.

Now that the shot is OK, say +/- 5 grains from "Perfect," remove the shot and the shot bottle and install the powder bottle with enough powder to run several tests--maybe 1/4 of the bottle. You will do the same procedure on the powder drops getting well below your desired drop and working your way up slowly until you are within +/- one grain of your desired drop. Then start reloading some shells and weigh each powder drop moving up one mark at a time until you are real close to your desired powder drop. Then, crank out 4 or 5 loads and weigh the last one and make any additional upwards adjustments until you get perhaps +/- 2/10s of a grain variation with your preferred setting being in the middle.

From there on, it's a matter of checking one powder and one shot load every 10 or 20 for a few boxes for any minor upward adjustments necessary and don't be afraid to live with an average drop of powder at 17.5 gr. of XXX powder even though you were "shooting" for 17.3 or 17.7 gr. You'll never notice the difference. After that plateau, weigh one a hundred or so and just to double check how things are working. Re-examine a few drops after you change containers of powder just to be sure there's no change there.

The key is to always make adjustments from too little to as close as possible in the upwards direction then secure the adjusting knob. If you start going up then back down, then up some more, then back down, you'll never find a close enough setting because of the "lash" in the adjusting knob mechanism which will frustrate the devil out of you. Been there, done it, still wear the T shirt and love my two adjustables...breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Bob is right use the chart and then use a scale to fine tune.That bar is what I think makes Mecs the best for the money.You can change loads quickly without taking anything apart and can make small adjustments as levels in your bottles change.

Darr

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

if you want a copy can fax you one the brass washer is a must if you use the ball powder rick

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

mac did you get message i have the full set that comes with it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mac universalcharge bar