1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal charge bar

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JN618, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JN618

JN618 TS Member

I'm sure this has been covered, but I'm a newbie. How many of you guys use a universal charge bar and what's your opinion? Do thy function properly? Is it easy to use? The powder drops between certain bushings (MEC) I have are crazy and I was thinking the charge bar would do the trick.

Thanks,

John

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

John, I use two Universal bars; on a Grabber and a Hydraulic MEC. I have no problems with them but it DID take a fairly long learning curve to come to a final conclusion how to use them best. I printed my instructions how to shorten the learning curve and many return remarks complained that it was too much fiddling around or that 500 shells could be made just reading my remarks. The instructions were intended for complete beginners and WERE lengthy. If I was faced with the decision today, I just might not convert to adjustable bars and use the MEC bars and bushings as I've aged enough to reject some of my anal behaviors. I certainly will NOT go back now but might not bother were I starting today. Were I you, I'd work real hard making adjustments on your machine and also stroking the action bar exactly the same way each time and see if your "crazy" occurrences don't improve well enough to satisfy you. If, on the other hand, you tend to be suffering from anal behavior, you might want to try the adjustables and contact me for some snail male......Bob Dodd

3. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I am 76 years old & have been reloading since I was 20yrs old. I have the same machines as BDodd & agree with him 100 %. Whatever you do,make sure you invest in a balance(scale). I have never met a bushing,that throws what is indicated for the particular bushing.
    Joe Jordan

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

And, I agree with Joe's remarks. It seems between us there is 146 yrs of residency on the planet and maybe 110 yrs of some sort of reloading.<;-).....Bob Dodd

5. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

You will start a real firestorm here! The old stalwarts such as AverageEd and Neil Winston wanting you to throw them out and guys like above including me that would not reload without them! Read Bob Dodd's pointers or PM me and you will love them! Tom Rhoads

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It's very simple.

1. There is perforce a small amount of slack in the threads of the adjuster.

2. Dumping stuff in the cavities will put a wee amount of force on the threads.

Therefore it would behoove one to adjust the bar from "too big" down to "just right". This will brevent an adjustment from changing during operation.

3. Anyone who can not comprehend this should just go buy factory shells.

I have 2 adjustable bars, 12 & 20. The .410 and 28 are not ever going to use a different load, so they are not necessary there.

HM

HM

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Some of the folks that I know have had problems with the Universal bar because they failed to tighten the set screw when they got the bar adjusted for the right load. I have them on all four of my mec progressive loaders and love them. I find them easy to set for different loads. Jackie B.

8. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I agree.
    1) get a scale. You need it to accurately measure the load and charge. I have found my universal bar to be very easy to use. I used the the universal settings as a guide to get the ball park and then adjust from there. I have found that with a little adjustment you can get consistent drops of powder with in .1 grains and drops of shot within 2-3 pellets of you required load. For me that is good enough.

9. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

While a pup at this reloading game myself (44 odd years of so doing), Iam as anal to this day as I was 40 years ago and thus have 6 universals in place on various units.

10. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Tried both styles on my MECs and hated them. Inconsistent drops and difficult to get to work properly. I'll take bushings every time. Of course you have to check them out on a scale, but you have to do that no matter what system you are using. Once you know then you know!

11. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I use them and I think they're great. I have two loaders and only load two different shells so once I got them dialed in I can just leave them.

My shot charges are accurate to the pellet, which always amazes me.

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Totally unnecessary and a delusional waste of time. Bars do fine. How do all other brands get by without them if they are a viral do-dad?

Neil

13. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Best thing I ever did was to put a Universal charge bar and the powder baffle on my Mec 9000G. It's a 410 loader and I had lots a problems with the shot dropping lite. Which in turn messed up the crimps etc. Now with it in, it's like as whole new machine. Dave T.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I've used both, and have univeral bars on my 20 and 28ga loaders cause I use multiple loads (target 1200 fps and field loads 1250 fps)and could not find bushings that dropped exactly what I wanted. 28 gauge HS is especially fickle.

On my 12 gauge 9000G I am again using bushings. I weighed all the bushings with Red and Green Dot and marked each Bushing's actual weight and load data on a it's own business card. When I'm done loading, I leave that load card on the loader so I know what I loaded last.

The only problem with this system is that when you buy a new can of powder, it may not weigh what the previous can did, so a new card has to be created after weighing. Winchester Superhandicap is one of those fluctuating powders. Can to can, weight may fluctuate .5 grains in a bushing, which is a lot in that powder.

15. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone....LOL.....

If you're going to be loading one recipe they are totally unnecessary. All bushings are inherently inaccurate, and all new Lots of powder vary right along with them. A scale is mandatory for accuracy,and a mental flexibility is required to load with bushings. If your recipe calls for 17.5 and your closest bushing is 17.7 you'll just have to live with it. Not a big deal, unless you're right up against the Max load, then it matters, a lot!

If you're loading several different shells constantly, like I do for my Grandkids, the Universal Bars are nice to have. The backlash in the dials takes a little getting used to, but are very predictable and not a tuff learning curve; if you go over and then back on the dial, as suggested earlier.

I've had them on my MEC's for 20 years. If I ever set up another one, it will have the Universal too.

IMO,
    Kip

16. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be without one.

Hauxfan!

17. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Kip, Agree with the part about loading near the maximum. I load toward the low end ot the range and therefore a couple of tenths up or down are not real relevant. Although my bushings are very consistent, shell to shell, day to day, season to season. Go figure.

18. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Im gonna make this short and to the point.
    I have used the adjustable bar for 20 + years
    without a problem !!!!!!!!!!
    Sandy

19. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

If you have lots of time and like to tinker, Universal charge bars may work for you; I sold mine at "give away" prices. Regards, Ed

20. capvan

capvan Active Member

I really like the Universal bars. I also check my loads quite frequently with a good scale. Nothing has changed in the last year. I load only Promo and bought a lot of it with the same lot numbers. But I still check frequently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how do you know what mec universal charge you have