1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UNIVERSAL CHARGE BAR

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by seymore/82, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seymore/82

seymore/82 Active Member

I WANT TO LOAD SOME 7/8 0UNCE LOADS USING INTERNATIONAL CLAYS AND NO.9 SHOT ON A UNIVVERSAL BAR THAT I'VE HAD FOR YEARS BUT NEVER USED. HAVE A GOOD DIGITAL SCALE FOR CHECKING WEIGHTS SO I AM LOOKING FOR THE RIGHT SETTINGS AS I HAVE LOST THE PAPER WORK THAT CAME WITH THE BAR. ANY ONE OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP ME GET STARTED.

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Paging Bob Dodd.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

First, I can't recommend Int'l Clays, a slow burning powder, for weenie loads like 7/8 oz. The weenies need reliable internal pressure in order to produce consistent burning of the powder and, thus, consistent velocities.

You say you have a good scale so there's a A for your first quiz. My very verbose instructions previously got me some thumbs down here so I'll make it short and sweet. Install the bar per instructions and get those from the maker if they're lost. Start with your shot bottle only and "some" shot in the bottle and drop shot without wads or powder in hulls making adjustments on that side of the bar until you are nice and close to the 383 grains that is 7/8 oz. Don't be concerned if you are at 375 to 395 grains it's close enough and you can fine tune later. Next, get rid of the shot bottle and install the powder bottle alone and make drops of powder to get "close" to, say within 3/4 grain below, the powder drop you are shooting for. ALWAYS start low and work your way up when making adjustments because there is lash in the adjusting mechanism and turning the adjuster back and forth will get you nowhere for a frustrating time.

Once you are at this stage, begin making shells and weigh the powder and shot drops making small adjustments in the up or "more" direction to finalize your adjustments. Once you are really close, weigh drops of every 5th shell or so to factor in any difference based on the full and consistent operation of the loader. Remember that nearly always when starting a session, there will likely be a heavy powder drop for the first 1 or 2 shells and they should be weighed before pounding out the rest.

Do Not believe the suggested settings for the powder and shot adjustments in the instructions - use the scale instead. If you ever find your adjustments are too high, crank the knob down 15 or 20 marks on the adjuster and work your way back in the "up" direction. Easier? If you're not obsessive compulsive or into fatal anal-osity, use the non-adjustable bars and bushings.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.