1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal charge bar for Mec opinion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I am considering changing my Mec charge bar to an universal bar---Never used one before but have seen some pro and negitive feedback---Would appreciate any pros and cons before I change----My Dillon has an adjustable bar that works great but I am getting tired of changing bushings if the universal works on the Mec---I note the bar for the Mec is not made by Mec---Wonder why???

Thanks----George@SJB

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Hello George, the universal charge bars do work, but you need to be kinda patient with adjustment processes. Hard to get EXACT (emphasis added) drops, which, as noted in the recent Neil Winston studies, are not that obtainable or necessary for good loads. It is not an exact science and good loads can be obtained using MEC bushings (cheap) and a good scale. Best Regards, Ed

3. SBray

SBray Active Member

George,

I have had several over the years and currently use them on my two MECs. They work good, but you need to pay attention to the directions of going over the desired charge amount, and then turning back down to the desired amounts of either shot or powder. Otherwise, you get inconsistent results.

Steve

4. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I've always used one (never used a bushing!. I "approach" all my saved settings from the same direction and they are relatively repeatable. Once you have it set .... it is no different than a bushing IMO.

5. James344

James344 Active Member

I have two MEC 650s. One has the universal bar and one does not. I like the control the universal bar gives me. If you're patient as the others said, have a good scale, and routinely check drop amounts you will be pleased with a universal bar as well.

6. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks Ed----I just made a bushing change and the change went haywire--Darn thing drove me nuts until I figured out the problem---I'v loaded on a mec for yrs and never had a problem with a bushing change but the (part # 27) bar lock was hanging up and the bar would not bottom out---Not realizing what was happening I went back and forth trying to figure it out and ended up with powder and shot all over the place---Very Pizzed off till I fig it out---
    I'm getting older while growing up----Got it back to normal but a universal bar would have saved me the bushing change and no problem---It was the change that disturbed the bar lock----don't know why it's needed any way----Writing this is easing my blood preasure----Thanks for listening----George

7. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I use the universal charge bar and had no trouble setting it up. Very simple and drops the same all the time. When you change powder batches is the time to recheck and adjust if necessary. Same if you go from soft to hard shot. Ray

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Not sure why, but the Universal Charge Bar has slack in the threads. This isn't troublesome until you are in the process of dialing in a desired powder charge and you over adjust it. We you dial back the opposite direction, the slack in the threads means the first, say, "3/4 of a turn" doesn't change anything until you've taken up the slack in the threads. After that, it changes like you would expect. You'll hear people say, "I got it throwing too much and I turned the dial back a half turn and it didn't change!" This is the problem the slack causes.

Don't know what Dillon did, but they don't have this problem at all. Surely the Universal Charge Bar maker has access to equal equipment.???

As long as you know what to expect, I think you'll like the UCB. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

9. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

I have The UCB on all three of my mec's, it is true about the slack but once you learn how to adjust it there is no problem. I load different loads and use different powders, I think this is where the UCB comes in mighty handy. I have the setting marked down for each load I want to use. Always use a scale to back my settings up. Hope this helps. Rick

10. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have 5 MEC's and I use the UCB on them all. It save time to change your load setting.
    All you have to do is set the shot and powder by then self. Make the direction you turn the lead screw. I put a red mark for more and a green dot for less.
    Remember to go pass the setting you want and when you go back the other way it will take up the slack in the threads and you get your setting very fast.
    Easy and I would not go back to a bushing change again.

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

A UCB works OK but after several years of using a UCB in a Grabber and then a 9000G, I went back to standard bars and bushings. I adjust the bars and bushings by removing metal with a file and/or adding fingernail polish.

I think that the standard bars work smoother in my MEC's and are more precise. I only load a few different loads. So long as you stay with the same brand and size of magnum shot, the shot chamber rarely needs adjusting. I load 1 oz., 1 1/8 oz. and 1 1/4 oz. If I get a wild hair and load 1 3/8 or 1 1/2 oz., I get out the old UCB.

Green Dot, Red Dot, Unique, E3 and Herco sometimes show a little deviation 8# per jug. I hear that Promo really needs to be watched but I don't use it. I like Red Dot.

Weigh all of your charges to be safe and consistent.

Ed Ward

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Have been using one for years. I load a lot of diff loads for the games. The UCB gives me what I want & need precisely.
    Clyde

13. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Just remember when you get a new bottle of powder you probably will need to make a small change. Just common sense. Sometimes you don't need to make a change on a new batch. Bill

14. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I have used the UCB for several years. I understand the slack and the learning curve, but being able to change on the fly is worth it's money. I know Neil posted that a grain here or there is not going to change your load, but the comfort knowing I am throwing the exact charge I want is nice. Sure, you can file or add polish, but what a pain in the ass!

I found my UCB tight and hard to turn. I took care of that with a set of tap and die. Now it turns very smooth.

15. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Anyone interested.. I have a slightly used one that I'll sell for $25 + shipping

Jerry B

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I use the UCB on both my Mecs and like them. Wouldn't go back to bushings again. Just my opinion.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

17. millerm12

millerm12 Member

I've used one for many years and yrs they do have a little slop in the adjustment knobs but ultimately it gets adjusted by what your scale reads. So having to worry or figuer out the right combination to turn the powder or shot knob is really not a issue. Just weigh it out and dial it in. I've found my UCB to be very reliable and accurate . JMO. Thanks kraig miller

18. TF

TF Active Member

I've got three of them and the best part for me has been the ability to try different powders without the worry of do I have a bushing for that. Also, in a pinch, it has allowed me to load a different powder when what I normally use has been unavailable to me.

Tom Frazer

19. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

My universal charge bar has worked flawlessly now for a year's worth of use. I have 19,900~ rounds thru it. Not a single problem at all. I just put a dash of graphite on it once a month or every 6 or 7 cases. Once you dial in a setting, make sure to lock the allen lock screws. Nice product. I could not see going back to bushings at all.

20. SBray

SBray Active Member

Star4Ever,

Good advise on the allen lock screws!

I did notice the directions cautions about over tightening them. Just gently securing them will prevent damaging the mechanism.

I can't imagine ever going back to the bushings. It is the first thing I do when getting a MEC, replace charge bar, and old school primer tray (with the chain).

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.