1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

universal barrel selection

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fishnutt90804, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishnutt90804

fishnutt90804 TS Member

I want to buy a barrel for a Remington 1100 magnum. I want to use it for starting out in the Trap, And sporting clays sports. What is a good barrel to buy? What length should I get? 30, or 28 inches. I am thinking 28 inches. Should I worry about a steel shot barrel or should I stick with the regular barrel . I have the rem 1100 magnum, which says "for 3inch Magnum" on the barrel.

New to this,,,

Kevin

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A 28" vent rib barrel with choke tubes should take care of your needs. An Adjustable comb on your stock would also be a good idea. HMB

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

For Trap shooting, a 30 inch or longer barrel is standard. The longer barrels seem to swing smoother and is more difficult to stop once they get moving. You do not want to reach the target and then stop your swing.

I predict that if one were to select, at random, 1000 trap shooters who shoot 3,500 or more registered birds a year, none would have a barrel shorter than 30 inches.

Pat Ireland

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

You are going in the right direction a 28" with choke tubes is the way to go. You can shoot everything skeet sporting and trap with different tubes. Most trap shooters shoot 30" barrels but a 28" is just as good maybe better as 1100 are muzzle heavy to start with so a little lighter barrel will work fine. I have several 1100's and use a 28" barrel tubed and see little if any difference with my 30" barrels.

Buddy

5. fishnutt90804

fishnutt90804 TS Member

Thanks everyone for the advice.
    FLINCHER100, I will start out the way you suggest and then move to a new barrel . If past history serves I should move right to a new gun instead of a barrel. But I got the 1100 to try and keep this from getting out of hand like I tend to do.
    Thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.