1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

United States Post Office[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by plabels466, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plabels466

plabels466 Member

I went to the USPO to ship a 22 LR back to Remington for a warranty repair....I was told they would not ship it unless the firing pin was removed....I kid you not...I asked to talk to the head postmaster & the response was to much BS to try to explain why on this post.....What gives? Pete

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Just take a copy of the shipping regs in with you! sometimes they have to be educated.Someone here had a link to them.

ec90t

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Many of the employees would rather refuse a firearm than admit they don't know the regulations.

Go to the link above and from there you can get all the shippers' rules, and the ATF rules also. Print what you need and take it along. Wave it in the counter monkey's face, and be nice to him.

Like"I'm sure not many of you guys get to do this, so I brought a printout of your rules along".

Firing pin removed, sheesh. You should have pulled the bolt in front of him and repacked it.

HM

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I would try a different PO

5. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I agree with ec90t. Take the regs with you. In all fairness to the clerk at the window, there are a whole lot of regulations in the Domestic Mail Manual, International Mail Manual and a large stack of other manuals. I think in total there a a lot more pages than the regulations for my business. I doubt if any of them know the minutia in all the fine print. You can always ask them to call the Postal Inspectors if they have any doubt.

Provide the zip code of the office where you had issues and I would be glad to send them the regs for their future reference.

Bob

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I know this may not be good for some. I go to my favorite FFL and have him handle it. Packing and everything I have not yet been charged a price I do not consider fair.

7. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Next time they say that just look at them straight in the eye and say "WHY DO YOU THINK I'M SEND IT BACK FOR. THE PIN BROKE".

8. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I like the one telling them the pin broke...lol Ray........

9. plabels466

plabels466 Member

Again, thanks for your help... Garg - I gotta remember that one...Pete

10. Dutchboy

Dutchboy TS Member

I'd bet dollars to donuts that the ditz was once told you should take the BOLT out of a rifle before shipping. Bolt, pin, all the same, right? JMO, Dutch.

11. bgf

bgf Active Member

I don't get it...why would a person tell the PO that he/she is shipping a gun?

There is no rule requiring you to disclose what is in the package (other then HAZMAT materials) that I know of but I have been mistaken before.

I print out a mail label from my computer (have an account on line with the PO) and go to the counter and tell them it is already to go. OK, thanks.

No biggy.

Bernie

12. halfmile

When you insure it they usually ask what is in the package, for obvious reasons.

HM

13. bgf

bgf Active Member

Ok...like I said I have been wrong before...but read the following:

USPO shipping rule re;long guns:

11.3 Rifles and Shotguns
    Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.

ATF Rule re; USPO:

B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
    A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Were does it say to announce to the PO that you are shipping a firearm? If you do they MAY ask to see it. Registered Mail recommended but not mandatory.
    NO ID ON PACKAGE NOTING GUN INSIDE IS MANDATORY!!!

Soooooooo...please enlighten me in the error of my thinking...thanks.

Bernie

14. halfmile

Try insuring a package for 2 thou and see if they don't ask what it is.

HM

15. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Bernie: You are correct. The Post Office will ask if the package contains any perishable, flammable, hazardous material, etc. You answer their question and mail the item. If you "elect" to inform them that a firearm is the content of the package; they reserve the right to have to package's content examined to insure this firearm is not loaded. Believe me, " I have been there and done that". Ed

16. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Gent's:
    BGF is quite correct.
    However, I would suggest in the futrue when this problem come's up Ask the window clerk to:
    1. Get the supervisor of window service, Speak with him/her not the all knowing window clerk.

2. See there copy of the "DMM" Domestic Mail Manuel, go to Chap. 25, All the information necessary is covered there...an easy read, very clear, in plain english.

Good Luck

17. bgf

bgf Active Member

DB Bill,

Do you know the difference between "common or contract carrier" and the USPS?

You should read your own copied ATF rules.

(B7) refers to shipping via USPS and long guns ONLY! No reference to notifying the PO is necessary. Last line in this rule refers to handguns...which are prohibited.

(B8) refers to common carriers...i.e. UPS or FedEx. They must be notified as to it being a firearm.

I rest my case.

Bernie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.