1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

United Kingdom Airplane Targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Some time ago there was a thread with an attachment(S) showing shooting at radio controlled airplane with exploding targets on the underside. This has enthused me ever since but I have had no luck in finding a source of information on how you make the explosive and powder. The plane shouldn't be that difficult. Also, I was wondering how you determine how much to charge a shooter and what the rules and regs. would be. Any help out there? Dave

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The company is GNAT. Try the link above.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

This is not a good idea. Radio controlled model airplanes are expensive and
    also dangerous when out of control. People who fly them get a million dollar
    (might be two million) of insurance though the sanctioning association, the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) but this type of activity would definately not be covered.
    An out of control plane could damage property, cars, houses, and could injure or kill a spectator (it's happened) and you would be responsible.

Stick to clay targets.

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks

5. skeetking

skeetking Banned User Banned

Very cool. I want one. The future is here!!!! But it looks expensive(What isn't nowdays?).

I was thinking to myself......"why is that ball getting bigger?".......and then it hit me.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

dickgtax---You sound like a party pooper. I'm sure much care is taken to prevent accidents. Sometimes the risks are what make it fun. This isn't your average hobby shop airplane. Glad you were not around when i was growing up. If it didn't blow up, i wasn't interested.

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Looks like great fun to me, if it was available I'd try it. 7 1\2 or 8's? I'm thinking 6's.

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

grntitan: I may be a party pooper, but I have flown model airplanes and helicopters for 30 years. Several of my friends flew target drones, similar to the ones in the pictures for a military training sight in southern california.
    These planes can be lethal, much more so than the high wing trainers the hobbiest fly. A radio link is a very tenuous control of a model airplane.

"I'm sure much care is taken to prevent accidents." Yeah. That's one of the things they write on tombstones."

You might be a trapshooting expert. Stick to what you know.

9. revbook

revbook Member

8s only....you can't hit crap with 7 1/2s.......did I say that out loud?

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Hey you could poke your eye out with one of those things.

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I agree with Dick, my buddy was jacking with his radio controlled helicopter last fall and he did about $40,000 damage to his hand, and it will never be as good as it was

I used to work at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in Fort Worth, and there was a radio controlled airport just south of it, a few times they would get a little out of control, and fly over the facility where they jammed the frequency, one of them flew into the thermal oxidizer, he had to pay the gummit to re skin the oxidizer, it was covered in stainless steel and his plane made a hole in it when it flew out of control into it

Probably cost between $50-75,000

They might be a little dangerous

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.