1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unique "Safety" on Spencer Shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MTA Tom, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

[​IMG]

A TS.com thread asked about the first pump shotgun, the Spencer. I learned something interesting while researching a question about the function of the "backwards trigger" at the front of the triggerguard.

This is a cocking lever. If you hold it forward while pulling the trigger, the action decocks. Pushing it forward then cocks the action when you're ready to fire. There is no other "safety".

This information came from my good friend George Spencer, who owns and shoots an original Spencer shotgun, and is a distant relative of the gunmaker.

2. jlb

jlb Member

Unique

Not a unique safety as the Remington Model 10 has a similar safety.

jlb

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Unique

"Not a unique safety as the Remington Model 10 has a similar safety.

jlb"

A traditional safety at the front of the triggerguard, such as on the Model 10, Garand, M14, etc., is not uncommon. But the Spencer doesn't have a safety. It has the cocking lever that could be used to make the gun "safe" by decocking the action.

The Spencer is unique in that it requires you to pull the trigger in order to put the gun "on safe"!

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Unique

The folks at Quantico said that it was a very safe and reliable action. I'm sold.

5. samiam03

samiam03 Member

Unique

I seem to remember a Tom Selleck movie where he was shooting a Sharps rifle with two triggers - one cocked the hammer and the second fired the gun. Intersting concept. I'd watch the movie again if I remembered the title.

Sam

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Unique

Quigly down under.

7. sdhunter

sdhunter TS Member

Unique

I think the movie with Tom Selleck was "Quigly Down Under"

Steve

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Unique

The Shiloh Sharps 1874 Long Range rifle Tom Selleck used in the 1990 movie "Quigley Down Under", firing a .45-110 metallic cartridge with a 540 grain paper-patch bullet, had a double set trigger. The first trigger does NOT cock the hammer (action). It sets the second trigger for a very light pull:

"Single set trigger
    A set trigger allows a shooter to have a greatly reduced trigger pull (the resistance of the trigger) while maintaining a degree of safety in the field. There are two types: Single Set and Double Set. A Single Set Trigger is usually one trigger that may be fired with a conventional amount of trigger pull weight or may be 'set' by usually pushing forward on the trigger. This takes up the creep in the trigger and allows the shooter to enjoy a much lighter trigger pull.

Double set trigger
    As above, a double set trigger accomplishes the same thing, but uses two triggers: one sets the trigger and the other fires the weapon. Set triggers are most likely to be seen on customized weapons and competition rifles where a light trigger pull is beneficial to accuracy." Wikipedia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

set trigger spencer