1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UNIQUE POWDER

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I just bought 12 pounds of unique powder for loading 20gauge and 28 gauge shells . I had planed on buying clays universal, as recomended buy several people. The problem being I could never find the powder.

the Unique being simular in burning rates as the clays, so to make a story short I bought it. The price was right $ 90 for 8 pounds, and its american made.

I just hope I didn't make a bad purchase, the allient powders always worked well for me in the 12 gauge powders.

2. Bob Mason

Bob Mason TS Member

I don't think you made a bad purchase at all.I use unique in all my 27 yard shells.It is alittle dirty but it gets the job done all the way back to the porch.

Bob

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Wonderful powder that lives up to its name....I use it in medium power handgun loads, cast bullet loads in rifle cases and (I hate to use the term drams) in the three plus dram equivalent loads.

It works great in 12/20, 38/357/9mm, 45 acp, 38 super, and in my 308 and 30-30s with cast bullets (although I'm playing with Trail Boss with great results).

Enjoy. You got a good buy.

4. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

13 grains in the AA hull and 3/4oz in the 28ga your choice of primers and you have an excellent load and dirt cheap to shoot. Phil

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If the world of gun powder was reduced by a huge percentage, Unique would be one that would just have to be on the list to survive.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

6. 10gaugeman

10gaugeman Member

Only problem I ever had with Unique was being course grained. It does not feed reliabally in 28 gauge 9000 MEC. Powder hangs up in drop tube causing the waste of years of religion. Works fine in 20 gauge.
    Mark

7. plabels466

plabels466 Member

I have used this powder for shotgun & pistol for over 30 years....Bob Dodd got it right, great powder.......Pete

8. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

I am thinking maybe one the oldest powders. Please correct me if I am wrong, but started out in the late 1800s. I currently use this powder.

9. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Great stuff!!
    Recently purchased a OLD Hercules 8lb. keg for $45.00.
    Shoots a little dirtier than new Unique but otherwise no difference.
    As noted above very versatile and loads nicely in the 28,20 and 1 1/8 12ga.
    Considering doing some experimenting with the old pigeon load.
    [3 1/4 Dram-1 1/4 oz.]

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A GREAT powder for caps 12, and 16, 20 and 28, along with most pistol calibers and cast bullets in many rifle calibers. It DOES live up to its name.

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

titewad - Unique was the first smokeless shotgun power in USA, and maybe the world. It's a great 20/28 gauge power, but a typical Alliant big flake powder...dirty, high drop weight variance. If the price differential between Unique and Universal gets much wider, I'll consider a switch back to Unique when it's time for me to restock.

12. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I've used a lot of different powders, but there will always be Unique and Red Dot in my cabinet. BDodd is right.

13. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Awesome powder!

I loaded some 12 ga 1310 FPS 1 1/8 loads for sporting clays that shot quite softly and crushed even the longest sporting targets and Long Bird targets. They break trap & skeet targets from the parking lot well too!

I load 20ga & 28 ga loads with Unique too. In My PW machines, unique meters excellent. Very little variation. It's a little dirty but I clean my guns regardless of how dirty the powder is.

I've tried all sorts of powders but I really like Alliant products and support. When you ask them a question, you get a very prompt response. An American Company with shooters/reloaders on staff.

14. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

If you had to make a choice between green dot and unique for caps (1 1/8)which one would you chose?Why?

15. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

I shoot with 3 All-American skeet shooters, and they wouldn't shoot anything else for 20 gauge. They have since gone over to Alliant's 20/28 for loading the 28 gauge, but I know many AAA shooters who load Unique in both the 20 and the 28 with obvious excellent results.

16. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

tracyhunter,

I'd go with the Unique. If you look at the data, unique in general develops lower pressures than green dot. Lower pressure = less recoil and less wear and tear on the equipment.

Shoot well often and safely,
    Tom

17. Mapper

Mapper Member

I have part of a 1 pound can of Laughlin & Rand(sp?) Unique in the basement right now. Hercules bought out L & R in 1912. Good for everything. Even cures social disorders. It's so good that only Herters could write a proper description. Powders come and powders go, but Unique is forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

unique gunpowder for trap loads

unique powder

unique powder 28ga