1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unique powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Has any one reloaded with Unique powder/ What were your results/ Thanks---Dennis 12 g 1 1/8 loads.Rem sts hulls.

2. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I have used a few pounds, mostly because I have a 8 lb jug on hand. I use Alliants published load with a windjammer wad. Velocity is good, pressure is down around 7,000 PSI. I have had good luck with Unique. Having said that, if I had to go out and buy a jug of powder I probably would go with Green Dot in the 1-1/8 ounce load. In my opinion Green Dot is a very good powder, and you can get about 10% more loads out of a pound when compared with Unique.

3. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

OT Alert:

Unique powder out the door when you're stealing it.

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Indy - You remain a dumb ass and really show your age by butting into someone's thread with this comment. Take a hike.

Unique is an excellent handicap powder. Low recoil and fast. I load about 23 grains in a Nitro 27 hull with AA primer and rem wad. Try it you will like it.

Don

5. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Thank you--Dennis

6. DanLee

DanLee Member

As Bigdon says, it's an excellent powder for handicap and beyond. I use it in Gold Medal hulls for our local skrap and Annie Oakley shoots.

Dan

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Dennis..... Three powders come to my mind when discussing the very best long yardage handicap powders. #1 is SR7625. This is an old IMR powder that is at the top of my list, followed by #2 Unique and #3 PB. These powders are very versatile, while being expensive, and very effective, in a host of reloads. You can't go wrong with any of them.... Just my opinion.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Unique is a very versatile powder. My go to powder for 1-1/4 ounce loads in a FGM hull. Makes a soft shooting .45 acp load too.

Wayne

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I shoot 7625 and like Dan says it is #1 with me but Unique is very good. I run a club where we should nothing but games and long yardage and 90% of the shooters are using Unique

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

25 gr with Gold Medal hull and Windjammer wad behind 1 1/8 oz shot and 209A primer. Very quick, great shooting load. Felt recoil is mild.

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Dennis:

You didn't say the 1 1/8 oz. STS recipe you had in mind was a handicap load. Responders are probably assuming so because Unique isn't worth a snap for light (1145 fps) loads.

If handicap trap loads are what you had in mind, count me among those who think Green Dot and International Clays are better choices.

Unique's ideal niche is HEAVY 12 gauge loads. As previously mentioned, it is terrific for ounce and a quarter boomers. It can also be used in standard (7/8 oz.) 20 gauge loads and 3/4 oz. 28 gauge loads.

It would be a good choice for someone that loads multiple gauges and is interested in limiting the number of powers on hand. Its just a little stout for someone that dislikes recoil as much as I do.

sissy

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I use it in my game loads. Its does a great job for what I'm using it for. I buy 8 pound jugs.

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I don't use a lot of it. I still have my original purchase. Still smells ok...

14. lostandout

lostandout Member

i just bought an unopened pound can that was made by hercules it im trying to find some backdoor loads for

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Alliant has some Atomic Annie loads for this powder. I prefer it over Green Dot for my Caps load, less pressure.

16. 97Fxds

97Fxds TS Member

I use it in my .38, .44, .45 and 20g. I dont know if its they recipe or the powder but my 20g hulls after FILTHY after firing Unique. I talk around the clubhouse is that Unique is a dirty shotgun powder. Just what I have heard.
    lawrence

17. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Thank you all-excellent replies.I was going to use it for 16 yd. practice--Now I will reload for HDCP. Thanks again---Dennis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.