1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unique powder vs Clay Dot powder, seeking opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by az outlaw, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

I currently reload with Clay Dot powder but ran across an 8# jug of Unique powder (sealed), for a really good price ($70.00), and after looking up the load data it seems that Unique requires a tad more powder to get the same loads.

If anyone uses, or has used Unique powder in the past, could you share any info, and-or opinions regarding the use of it? THANK YOU in advance

Mark

2. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

It works great for 28 ga. Pretty versatile but because its a slow burn powder, it requires a heavier charge in 12 ga loads. RM

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I used to use unique both in shotshells and pistols. It worked fine. It is flake powder and does not meter as well as claydot, and is a little dirtier, especially on soft loads. For $70/keg, I would go ahead and use it. It makes good shotshells.

4. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I had the same thing happen to me. Got a bargain on several pounds of Unique at $5 per pound. It is better than I expected for 1-1/8 ounce loads (shot bushing actually is throwing 1/16th ounces by weight), using Windjammer or Windjammer clones in Remington cases, with Remington primers, you can get 1200 FPS with 7,000 PSI. The velocity and pressure is according to Alliant published information for 1-1/8 load. Works for me.

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I use a lot of it, for 12 gauge game loads, also 20 and 28 gauge. Check out the Alliant reloading guide. Mark

http://www.alliantpowder.com/

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

az outlaw-- shoot it you'll love yes it takes a few more grains but I can tell the difference on my shoulder (at least I think I can). wish I could come on a deal like that. Ross Puls

7. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Another use for Unique--works great in the .357 Mag. rifle load. Accurate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

unique powder vs clay powder