1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unique powder for handicap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Anyone had any luck using Unique for a handicap load? I used some G-Dot awhile back and wasn't too impressed. Besides, I'm looking for a powder that burns at about the rate Unique does and doesn't cost 50 bucks more for 8#'s. I'm going to use the WAA12f114 wad in the load. Thanks, Jim Price

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

25 gr of Unique makes a great cap load & a lot of our games shooters use it here at Melba. Myself I prefer 25.5 grns 7625 with 1 1/4 7's in a paper hull fed 209 & fed 12s4. Crrection - my 7625 load is 26.4 grains

3. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I was thinking of starting out with 21 grns and working it up to 24 Mr Cigar. Do you happen to know just how fast that 25 grns is pushing that 1 1/8th of shot? And what wad are you using? Jim

4. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Jim, one of the factors of the recoil equation is the weight of the powder. I have tried using like WSF and find that you get more recoil. Remington uses 18 grains of their version of Titegroup, I think they use this because less powder, less recoil. John 8703697

5. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Well, the whole idea here is using an oversized wad and driving the shot at close to 1250fps to really reach out from the 27 yard line. I'm figuring the oversized wad will help to keep the pattern tight. Also I figure a slower burning powder won't blow the pattern out. The f114 wad seems to fit that bill. And, if it turns out I'm not happy with this wad and powder they can easily be used in other applications. Jim

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

To get what you want, use what you have = Green Dot @ 21 grains, 1 1/8oz of 7.5's in a AA or Remington hull. You did not indicate what hull you are using which makes a great difference in performance and felt recoil. To lesson recoil use a Federal straight wall hull which will require about a full grain more of powder. Fred

7. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

CB1114 wad 23.5 gr. unique supposed to be 1250 don't know, but sure works good.
    oops sorry 11/8oz.

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Jim, Your gun should shoot near 85 to 90% patterns at the range most guys will break a handicap target. Most guns will shoot better then 90% at 40 yards.

I don't think that blown patterns are an issue as much as range to the target and the natural breaking down of shotgun patterns at distance.

If you want more holes in the 30 inch circle, hard shot will put more holes in the pattern then any one type of powder ever will.

I have loaded Unique for 1 1/4 loads for years for shooting games with the old style live bird loads that went 1220 and it shoots great but you sure have to shoot a pile of it to get any speed and consistant burn rates in 1 1/8 loads.

Green dot has long been held as an example of what good long range handicap powder is. I don't know of a better one then green dot for putting holes in the pattern.

Trap patterns are a terrible thing due to numbers of pellets involved and are prone to eye balling rather then counting. You can see splotchy patterns by eye balling but if you want to know what the core contains you have to count them.

Lots of gun/ choke combanations that will put the max in a 30 inch circle with green dot/red dot and PB and others.

It's something to try and do what you must but when it's done you will not have any more holes in the pattern then you will with Green dot.

I shoot games all the time and the boys look for every edge and Unique has been tried and discarded so many times for 1 1/8 loads that I couldn't count the guys who have tried it. Myself included.

Pattern your gun with factory trap loads at 40 yards and then compare your realods from there. It will be far easier when you know what your gun is capable of.

Factory STS,AA, and Gold medal are very hard to beat as the shot is of the very finest made. Jeff

9. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Well let's face it. For a good many years the gun makers thought a 30 inch barrel was the optimum barrel length for a trap gun. Then the powders that were produced gave way to a longer barrel length coupled with the improvements in powder burn. Now we shoot 32 and 34 inch barreled trap guns. That's one reason one of the posters here that's been trying to sell a very nice 73 Browning Broadway in a 30 inch barrel can't sell it. We're all sold on the longer barrels. So, when I use a 34 inch barrel for my handicap shooting I'm working with the technology of the past decade or so. Don't get me wrong. I KNOW all these guns shoot straight no matter what the barrel length. I'm just trying to attain an equal site picture between my 17 grains of Promo from the 16yd line and my handicap load at 27 yds. My slide ruler is broken and I need another way to surmise the answer, lol. I'm just hoping some of my fellow 'cooks' here will share they're recipes with me.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have tried and like Unique for Caps. I use Solo 1250, but it has been dropped. When it is gone, it is back to Unique.

Seem to give me less felt recoil, and I like the breaks. Lower pressure is a bonus.

Green Dot is a good powder, but when you get the velocity in the Red Zone, pressures are also in the Red Zone.

I like the lower pressures of Unique.

Try it for yourself.

11. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

What's great about Unique is its versitility. I mean, if you could only use one powder for all your pistol and shotgun loads you'd have to go with it. Jim

12. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

I really like Unique! I got a couple 8 Lb containers at a great price from a store going out of busienss a couple years ago. While reading through the Alliant reloading data a found a few recipe's using the WJ wad. 2 in particular that I use, 1 at 1250 and the other at 1310 fps with low pressures. So I bought some of the CB WJ wads and had at it. Shortly therafter I went to a sporting shoot and shot the Long Bird event with my new 1310's and ran 8 of 10 straight out of the box. I bought back in and ran 9. I came in 2nd. It wasn't my reloads that kept me from that last 60 yard target!

I also reload 20 & 28 ga shells for my old sxs guns and I like the lower pressures with Unique.

It's an excellent powder. It's extremely consistant from shell to shell.

Tom

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Go for it. I use 23.5, nitro hull, figure 8 wad, 11/8 #7 1/2 at 1250+ fps, from the 27.

Don

14. dhg

dhg TS Member

What primer are you using?

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

xring, if your looking at analysizing your perceived sight picture between 16 and 27 then 1200fps or slightly faster should give you what you desire provided your execution of the shot is the same.

I grew up using unique in SuperX's reload with the old live pigeon design. Back when I shot alot of 5 birders, protections and such it was my intermidiate load. But for 1.125 loading, I never cared for it. I did not care for the way it patterend on paper or broke targets. I've also played with the 1.25 wads with 1.125 shot charges and felt they actually detracted from pattern quality. However, alot of my end results were inconjunction with info from punching paper. Many of the elite here claim those results are bu!!$hit so Iam sure I don't have a clue!!!! Probably just wasted valuable space on this site....

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Unique is a very good versatile powder, in a AA hull I would use the WT12 Orange wad w/Win primer 22.5 grs @ 1250 fps @9500 psi I think if you pattern this load you will like it.

In a Remington STS Style hull use the Fig 8 wad 23.5 Grs Unique @1250 and 9100
    psi

The Red Versalite wad is a good handicap wad w/ above loads.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

spcl trap, I use cheddites. And I'd recommend them to all. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is unique powder or green dot better for handicap trap

longshot handicap loads

unique for handicap loads

unique powder for handicap