1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unique for loading pistol cartriges

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ahab, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I just discovered that I have 2 jugs of Unique powder.

I have used mostly Red Dot for 9 mm, 38 and .45 ACP ... how is Unique for the same purpose?

Anyone have any experience with it?

2. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

i use it for my 380 and 9mm loads, i think it's a great powder for both.

3. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I've used it in .45 ACP Colt 1911 with very good results. I believe it was 6 grains with a 230 Grain FMJ bulk bullet.

6 was correct

4. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

Unique is extremely versitile in pistol loads. With the right data, you can cover anything from the smaller ACPs up through the magnums. It's my favorite for loading cast bullets in 9mm through 44 mag. -Ed

5. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Unique is a great powder to use for target pistol loads..... I have even killed wild bore with it down in TN with my 44mag. It also works well for trap shooting.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

Not too shabby for cast bullets in some rifle loadings either. If I were limited to just one powder for the rest of my life it would be Unique!

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Unique was the first powder Hercules made. they still have some in a jar, and it tests good today, made in 1900.

I use it in the Long Colt myself. good 20 gauge powder too, very low deviance.

HM

8. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Unique has always been my "Go To" powder for cast bullet loads in just about everything. Does not meter quite as well as some of the finer flake or ball powders but it has been around a 100 years for a reason.

Jeff

9. oz

oz Active Member

It smokes like hell and stinks like dog s&%$

10. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

I load a lot of Unique in pistol rounds.I have for over 45 years.It smokes,stinks and shoots great.Oh yeah.

11. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Great powder for almost any pistol load. Make sure you use data from the manufacturer.

Two jugs should last a long time in pistol loads.

12. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I use 8.5 grs of Unique under a 240gr Keith style cast bullet for loads in a .44 Special and/or .44 Mag. Been using that for 35 years.

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I always felt it was a little too slow for 9mm or .380 (prefer 231), but I must have been wrong. It makes a great powder for cast bullet plinking loads for .38, .357, .44, .45 LC. It was always my favorite for full powder .45 ACP loads, cast or jacketed.

In the old days it was kinda dirty, and probably still has that reputation with some folks. However, it seems like when I shoot it now, my arms are no longer covered with little, round, black flakes., so Alliant must have done some tweaking. ;-)

Bob Falfa