1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unique for 1 1/8 oz loads.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by napawino, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

Does anyone use Unique for their loading? I am currently using 1 1/8 oz of 8s, old style AA cases, AA white wads, Winchester 209 primers and 21 grains of Unique. I shoot a single barrel for 16 yards and handicap, and an O/U for doubles. I clean after every range session and I find the powder burns fairly clean. The felt recoil seems milder than than the 17.5 grains of 700X I used to use in 1 1/8 oz loads.
    Fred Wiedeman

2. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I like to use unique for handicap loads, it works very well for me and does not seem very dirty. I am probably going to buy some more later to day.

3. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I agree with PBB except I like the Red Pattern Control.

Darr

4. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

I remember trying it once: pretty thumpy. Found PB a lot nicer on the shoulder.

- - Bill

5. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Just recently dusted off a jug of Unique that I used for 20ga. Tried 23 gr under Downrange Versalite wads holding 1 1/8 of 7 1/2 shot in A-A hulls and it did a great job! Outstanding patterns using .030 choke at 50 yd pattern board, and mild felt recoil.
    AndyH

6. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

PerazziBB said-
    "Andy.. respectfully.. up just a little.. In a tapered AA hull.. give me 23.5 to 24 grains.. unless you are using a Federal primer.. If so.. stay at 23 grains.. This very closely duplicated the AA Super Handi cap.. with less recoil..(perceived)..(for Neil)..All Good.. Mike"

That's a bit stronger than I need. According to Alliant, my load is approximately 1225 fps or so, which suits me fine. The only time I use 1 1/8 ounce loads is for 2nd shot of doubles in windy conditions. Actually, Unique is not my powder of choice for this load. I only tried it because I had it laying around. I prefer 7/8 ounce loads for most everything in fine weather. I will use 1 ounce of 7 1/2s at 1255 fps when a stronger hit is needed.

Have FUN Shooting!

AndyH

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I also dusted off some Unique that is favored in my 20 and 28 ga Skeet loads.

24 gr in a Gun Club hull with Fig 8 clone, Cheddite primer and 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2's is VERY TIGHT in my Unsingle with Angleport Full. Gives the "barrel wizard" break in a factory barrel. Recoil is very mild. Perceived is how my shoulder feels at the end of the day.

Pretty clean, clocked at av of 1261 in 34" K-80 Unsingle. Feels like three dram AA. Did I mention it BOILS targets?

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Three tablespoons of Unique DOES bark in a ported gun. LOL

9. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

PBB said-"Hi Andy.. I was well aware of the speed of 22 grains... I have found that it patterns VERY VERY dense..and with the .034 choke or higher I usually shoot.. it's to tight.. and totally unforgiving.. That's why I suggested a little faster.. I have found in the over 1200 but under 1250.. Green Dot to be the best powder for 1 1/8oz shells..in pattern and being clean.. "

PBB, respectively, I made no mention of using 22 grains of Unique; I tried 23 grains. I also like Green Dot alot for back yardage shooting.

Good Shooting! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.