1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

unique burns my hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by LUGNUTZ426, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I happened upon 3 jugs of Unique very reasonably. Have been loading sts 28ga hulls and it seems to be burning the ends of the hulls. Using rem primers, wads and alliant data. after 2 reloads they are crispy and crimp folds are split. I also reload aa28ga with lil gun and have no such issue. Has anyone
    had this issue? I have some Herco I am going to try in the sts hulls and see if it makes a difference.

thanks

Joe

2. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Sorry to hear that---I just ordered unique and hven't tried it yet---It was the most recommended powder to use for 20ga---SJB

3. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I've been using Green Dot and having no such problems. Although I don't like the "STS" 28 ga hulls for reloading. Federal and gunclubs seem to last the longest. I just got some 20/28 and am going to try that next.

Chuck

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"I also reload aa28ga with lil gun and have no such issue."

So why didn't you reload the 28ga STS hulls with Lil'Gun, just curious???

I don't load AA hs hulls. I did however use the old style AA hulls.

Bob Lawless

5. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

the lil gun works with sg11 wads and is 7/8 oz load. too many changes to be a controlled test. I may try the unique in some aa's as it is already in my loader.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Unique is too hot for 28 gauge. Try HS-6 or 20/28.

HM

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Another vote for HS-6 or Winchester 540 same powder but not sold by Winchester any more. HMB

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Unique is unique. I read that somewhere years ago. As I recall, it has a very broad range of pressure curve depending upon into what it is loaded. There was an NRA article about Unique circa mid 1991; rather intriguing, the chemistry and behavior of that powder which is very versitle.

9. ivanhoe

One of the things that I found about Unique is it is temprature sensitive. It doesn't seem to perform as well in cold weather.

I used it because with the old style AA and a speciffic wad the pressure better suited Briley subgauge tubes especially in 20ga loads.

Bob Lawless

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Geez Bob---I went to unique because of recommendations on TSs asking what powder is best for 20 ga reloads---You might remember I was trying a few 20ga using Red-Dot---Mistake but now have some unique comming and only intend to use for bird hunting in cold weather---Guess another mistake----George

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

ivanhoe, I've used unique in zero temps hunting back a few when I was younger/tougher and don't recall any temp. issues. What/how where you loading it? I mainly used 23.5 gr in AA case, 24 gr in Fed. plastic and 1.25 loads per stated recipe. It was similar gr. in blue magic hull with 1.125(quail).

In 20, use it with one ounce data primarily.

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

southjblue, take your unopened Unique to your local club and sell it. Lots of people shoot it and it will sell quickly

13. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I've never loaded anything except 13/13.1 grains of Unique for a 1200 fps load in my AA 28 gauge and have never had a burn problem. All my loading are in the old style compression formed hulls not the newer HS. Unless you've amped up your load for faster fps or are loading wads intended for compression formed hulls I would say the next call is to Alliant for an (expert opinion)

Surfer

14. ivanhoe

George and Martin I have never hunted with reloads in 20 or 28. I have no idea how it would effect consistency in subgauge load for hunting.

I just noticed that shooting skeet there seemed to be other powders in subgauge skeet loads that worked better in the winter than in the summer. Unique wasn't one of them besides it is just my opinion.

I should know better by now than to even give an opinion of reloading on this site or anywhere else. I won't make that mistake again.

Bob Lawless

15. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

DEADON

I AM USING ALIANTS LOAD DATA. MY PROBLEM HULLS ARE STS NOT AA'S. I WILL TRY YOUR UNIQUE RECIPE IN MY AA'S FOR COMPARISON AFTER I GET SOME AAHS28 WADS.

JOE

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Never loaded 28 ga, but your description makes me wonder if the load combination is "hot" enough. Low pressure loads tend to allow the flame front to head back around the outside mouth of the shell, blackening and burning them. Metallic cartridges can do this too, although they just blacken the case walls. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

17. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Joe,
    I would look less a fool if I read what you wrote instead of mentally changing what was written, ah! old age........... That said, I would still call Alliant
    for their expert opinion, after all they make the stuff and know better than anyone what works best.

Re: AA/HS, I think Alliant calls for 13.1 to make 1200 fps.

Surfer

18. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Gents,

For what it's worth I used Unique for years in 20&28 ga. compression formed hulls without burned excessive burned crimps. I always used the book recipes of 16 grs. in 20 ga. and 13 grs. in 28 ga. for approx 1200 fps. No hull damage other than expected wear occured. I've never used HS hulls in these gauges but have in the 410. With the 410 HS hulls I'm using 12.5 grs. 2400, the CB clone of the red Win HS wad, with either Fiocchi or Cheddite primers at around 1200fps and works very satisfactorily. Again, no unusual hull damage and the load better than I really expected when I had to change from old CF hulls to the HS.

However, I do feel that in 12 ga. target loads with 700X and Promo powders that they will have reduced life due to burned crimps. This has not been a scientific study but just something I feel I've noticed. This will not make me stop using Promo because it's not to bad to get maybe 5 or 6 loads from a hull.

JMO

Larry

19. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I don't shoot a lot of 28s. My 28 gauge PW800B counter is at 18,000 in 16 years. I have not loaded with any powder but Unique in 28 and 20. I have excellent results. Yes, if your pressure is too low, you will have leakage around some hulls. Are your hulls burning on the inside or the outside? Outside burning is leakage. Stokinpls mentioned and explained this phenomenon. My test batch of 25 20 gauge hulls of three different brands loaded with Unique went about twenty loads before I gave up on them. I have not done a test batch of 28 gauge hulls.

20. shadow

shadow Active Member

Stokinplus hit the nail right on the head !!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.