1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unibody?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charles.F.Phillips, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

We all know that AA-HS cases are not unibody like the old compression formed AA's were, but what about others such as STS? My old 4th Edition Lyman (1998) book shows Remington RTL Premier cases as a one piece tapered case, but SP's have a separate plastic basewad. STS's aren't even listed.

I know, I should update my book, but I've been putting it off and using the tables at the Hodgdon site. I've stuck with the compression formed AA's in 12 gauge since 1982, so there was little reason to update until I started loading 410 bore in 1999, but now that I'm thinking about trying other cases in 12 gauge, I know I should order a new book.

I've been thinking about giving STS cases a try, but I don't want to run the risk of a basewad separation, so if anyone can give me some info about them, I would appreciate it.

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

"The Dude abides..."

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

STS and Remington Gun Club hulls are one piece tapered. The newer AA hulls have a separate base wad. I reload AA hulls exclusively because they are easier to come by in Western Canada.

3. Charles.F.Phillips

OK, the 5th Edition is now on its way from Amazon. I'd still love to hear what you guys have to say about the subject...

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

"The Dude abides..."

4. Charles.F.Phillips

miketmx,

I still use the compression formed AA's in 12 gauge - just ordered 1000 last winter. I now use AA-HS in .410, but I'd prefer to get away from them.

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

"The Dude abides..."

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

STS, Gun Club, Nitro, the old Remington Premier and old style AA are all the one piece compression formed construction.

The recipes for them are basically the same, with some individual variations that I ascribe to normal deviation in testing.

With regard to the new AA, loading on a Mec with collet resizing is vastly preferable to pushing down on the rim with a sleeve resizer. In my opinion this could lead to basewad separation.

I have had no problem with new AA, however if they are past 3 or 4 loadings I use them in a break gun and check before putting in a new shell.

Disclaimer:

This relates to my opinion and experience only. Guerini and K80 shooters take note.

HM

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The short version is that all Remington 2¾" LEAD shells - smooth or ribbed, 8pt or 6pt crimps, high/low/mid brass: STS, Gun Clubs, Game Loads, Sureshot - are Unibody hulls and load identically.

For 410 & 28, AA are THE hull, however ... 2x, 3x reloads over STS.

Bob

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Cut the STS down the middle and you will find the tube is a one piece construction, with an integral base wad. It's been this way for a long time. I have some old RXP hulls that are virtually the same construction and dimensions as the newer STS, Premier, Gun Clubs, etc. They are all close enough that you should be able to use the current data for all Remington hulls of such construction.

As an aside, I have loaded many thousands of the new AA Hulls without any basewad separations. I have not ever encountered a loose base wad. I do a thorough inspection as part of my loading process. I also load on a Mec, that presses down on the hull during the priming process. I HAVE seen MANY migrated basewads from many of the Eurotrash hulls made by UEE. I have NOT seen a basewad exit the hulls, but many have moved up the tube. This was on the first firing of the factory shell. I don't shoot them, nor would I reload them. I've posted the pics and details here many times before. If you are interested, I can dig them up again.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Take a new AA hull apart, and see if you can get the base wad to move. In my opinion AA base wads do not migrate. HMB

9. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I have loaded thousands upon thousands of AA new style hulls with no problems. I use AA only. They rate lower pressures in identical loads than the Rems. Please send me your new style "trash" AA today!

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

hmb

"Take a new AA hull apart, and see if you can get the base wad to move. In my opinion AA base wads do not migrate."

All I read on these threads is "Safety First". This or that was done for safety Mr. hmb says in his opinion "AA base wads do not migrate"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They don't move and they don't come out. These aren't my pictures I didn't take them but I save a lot of what come through this site. Some times it take me a while to realize where I stored them.

If safety is so important and any one can find ONE just ONE shell that has or has had a problem. Why would anyone load these excuses for a catastrophe? Then claim they are safe there is no problem with them.

Well I load STS there is nothing that is an add on inside them. There is no debate about whether the base wad can move or not. The base wad is the shell they are one and the same.

So if you are reloading hulls that are more than ONE PIECE spare me the BS and the rhetoric about safety. I say this because IMO you really don't care about safety.

Bob Lawless

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bob, If you look at the pictures you will see that the base wad did not move in relation to the plastic part of the hull. The plastic hull is still in one piece. Do you understand. One piece. See if you can take the plastic part of the hull and separate it into two pieces. I am saying it does not separate. HMB

12. ivanhoe

hmb

"If you look at the pictures you will see that the base wad did not move in relation to the plastic part of the hull."

First picture I see a space between the brass and the bottom of the base wad I have no idea what you see. I will admit the photos aren't the best quality but again they aren't mine.

The second picture last shell(on the right)the base wad is not in the shell it is at the bottom of the picture. Of course you will see it as not move it assembled that way Right.

Get it through your head if there is one tenth of one percent chance that the base wad could move you are not using total safety. You can argue the pictures all you want but any chance however slight you are compromising the safety of that shell.

You have a nice day now.

Bob Lawless

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for you to take a shell apart, and try to move the base wad.

Your pictures don't prove anything. HMB

14. ivanhoe

hmb

"Your pictures don't prove anything."

Two points they aren't my pictures for the third time. Which further demonstrates your inability to recognize what you have been told. It proves they are two piece which means safety wise less safe than hulls that are one piece.

Of course I don't know why I bother trying to explain it to you. You can't seem to grasp the fact that illegal targets that have been shot at must be scored!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob....Just leave those once fired AAs on the ground.

The rest of us will pick them up for our reloading! :)

16. ivanhoe

Ahab

Why would I spend my money on a shell I won't load??????

Bob Lawless

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Right on Ahab.

Are you afraid to take one apart Bob. I don't blame you, it might be dangerous. HMB

18. ivanhoe

hmb

"Are you afraid to take one apart Bob."

More proof of your obvious intelligence level. Ask yourself a question if I don't shoot them new or used and I don't reload them. Where would get one to take apart genius????

If I did and couldn't move the base wad what would that prove????

Oh I forgot you have a problem with common thought. Taking apart still has nothing to do with safety any way. Does it.

Bob Lawless

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bob,

Check under your pillow, maybe the Tooth Fairy will bring you one. HMB

20. Charles.F.Phillips

Bob (ivahoe),

<i>"Get it through your head..."</i>

<i>"...further demonstrates your inability to recognize what you have been told..."</i>

<i>"... I don't know why I bother trying to explain it to you. You can't seem to grasp the fact that..."</i>

<i>"Oh I forgot you have a problem with common thought..."</i>

I really appreciated you adding your first post - it really added to the discussion. Unfortunately, it didn't take long for you to revert to your normal mode of operation. Has the thought, "Gee, I wonder WHY everyone thinks I'm an ignorant troll" ever occurred to you? Most of us learned not to talk that way to people in kindergarten. Some behave that way through high school, but most of them outgrow it by adulthood. When will you learn?

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

"The Dude abides..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
load data remington unibody hulls

remington sts hulls are 1 piece compression formed

remington unibody
remington unibody hulls
remington unibody vs plastic basewad
uni body vs plastic base wad hulls for reloading