1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

uni-dot sight

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mich746, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mich746

mich746 Member

I'm going to try a uni-dot sight. Not sure if I will like it but going to give it a try. My question is weather to buy a stick on or a rib clamp. The rib clamp type would be easier to install and more secure but I'm thinking the stick on would look cleaner,
    Your thoughts......

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

There are also magnetic ones available. Ross Puls

3. texasbilly

texasbilly Member

I use them on most of my shotguns as I am a right hand shooter who is strongly left eyed dominant. I always use the stick-on kind. I rarely have one fall off, and that is usually due to oil on the barrel that I did not get off. Make certain that you clean the top of the rib with alcohol and dry it off completely. Make certain that the sight is properly aligned and press it onto position. If properly done, it will take a knife blade and some leverage to remove it.

tex

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I prefer the stick on. I can see if someone just wanted to test and if they did not like it, sell or give it away. But the Uni-Dots come with extra adhesive strips, and as pointed out above, dental floss works to remove them.

Keep in mind that when using a Uni-Dot you NEVER look directly at the bead. Keep your eyes on the clay at all times. Use your peripheral vision to bring the dot to the clay and follow through. Given the brightness of the dot, you do not need to look directly at it.

As for size, I use the 2mm. It's plenty bright for trap and sporting clays.

5. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

"Keep in mind that when using a Uni-Dot you NEVER look directly at the bead. Keep your eyes on the clay at all times. Use your peripheral vision to bring the dot to the clay and follow through. Given the brightness of the dot, you do not need to look directly at it."

That's the way to do it, but how you "trick" and "catch" your non dominate eye, in case of eye cross dominance, if you don't look at the bead which is aiming??

In same time, how you make the dominate eye to don't see the barrel?

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It's going to take some practice to make it work. Don't expect an instant miracle.

My scores were consistently in the low 20s from the 16 and I could not improve them. I was shooting with one eye and that was the peak of my game, after years of middle teens scores.

Someone here suggested I try a Uni-Dot. Put one on and my scores dropped back to the middle teens. But keep in mind I was keeping both eyes open, and this was better than what I used to do with both eyes open.

It took two months of practicing about a dozen rounds each weekend to get used to the sight and train myself to not watch the bead. At the end of two months I ran my first 25 and 50 straight.

As for training your dominant eye to not see the barrel, don't worry about it. If you train your shooting eye to focus on and follow the clay, your dominant eye will be looking at the same spot. Also, the bead is pretty bright.

Having said that, a Uni-Dot may not work for all people to fix crossfiring; the tape on the glasses trick might work better for them. For me, the tape was a disaster. I kept feeling like my glasses were smudged, which drives me crazy. and it ruined some of my 3D vision, which I felt was the point of shooting with both eyes open. And it was a PITA in the game field.

7. targetchip

Brian:

"Having said that, a Uni-Dot may not work for all people to fix crossfiring; the tape on the glasses trick might work better for them. For me, the tape was a disaster. I kept feeling like my glasses were smudged, which drives me crazy. and it ruined some of my 3D vision, which I felt was the point of shooting with both eyes open. And it was a PITA in the game field."

For those who can't use an Uni-Dot, tape, patch or wink, the XDS is the solution!
    It is placed away from your eyes and between them, so the eyes remain free during the entire round!

8. mich746

mich746 Member

"the XDS is the solution"
    What is the XDS?.... give some details, info

9. targetchip

Please click on the website address!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.