1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UNFrozen Choke tube

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mac66, Sep 21, 2013.

1. mac66

mac66 Member

Any advice on removing a frozen choke, used gun good condition tried to change echoke it is not happening. Soaked with penetrating oil still frozen .
    Thanks in advance,

After 36 hour soak in PB blaster,barrel in a vice firmly planted choke remval tool and large channel locks they broke free with no damage to tubes

Joe

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Heat gun. Use the choke tube wrench and tap it with a brass hammer.

3. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Get a rubber strap wrench. It will take it out if it's a extended choke.
    A flush choke you need a choke wrench that fits tight and put a pair of vice grips on it. It will come out.

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Wrights makes a great one piece choke wrench its real heavy steel with a long taper--it can take a lot of abuse.Tap it into the choke, grab on of the ears with a box wrench or lock the choke wrench in a vise.
    and turn the gun.

Phil Berkowitz

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Kroil. It's like PB Blaster with attitude.

HM

6. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Kano Kroil. Submerge the barrel in it for 24 hours and it will do its job better than any other liquid penetrant I know of.

Good luck.

Jon Reitz

7. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Several factors involved...
    Internal or extended...extended much easier
    long or short threads...briley thinwall internals-very tough; colonial, short tube, much easier to break free.

I have had some that I could get, others, like the briley thinwalls, I couldn't, sent it to a gunsmith and made it his responsibility...ain't cheap though.

Tried every penetrating oil out there, including soaking the muzzle in the oil in an ultrasonic cleaner to get best penetration. None of them, or the techniques, ALWAYS work.

Good luck,
    Chip

8. plinker611

plinker611 Member

anti seize is a good way to keep it from happening..

9. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

you guys ever try this. warm the barrel and melt a crayon/candle into end of the choke so it wicks into the threads and it should come right out. not sure if the candle will melt at a low enough temp but this works great on thicker material. try it and see if ti works on the barrel but with a heat gun it might work great.

10. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

All Good Suggestions for Varying Degree of Stuck Chokes...As We have Tried them all this month on a 20 ga. O/U....All with No Luck.

Brownells sell a Stuck Choke Tool...Similar to a Bolt Eze-out...4 sided Square with Cutting Edge on All sides..make them in 12 ga. and 20ga. Cost about $7.00 shipping was More that Tool..Total was about $16.00

Made Short work of Stuck Choke..Hammer and 24" Pipe Wrench...Granted ..We won't be Using That Choke Again...But No Damage to Barrel. Good Luck..Shoot Well..Shoot Often with Family and or Good Friends, Bart

11. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I have had that tool from Brownells, for 12 gauge, on back order for months. Mark

12. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

My idea .... After heating the barrel form the outside ... use freeze spray on the inside of the choke. The heat slightly expands the barrel and the freeze spray contracts the choke.

13. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

Plug the end of the barrel and spray liquid wrench into the barrel next morning it should come out. Use Plumbers Grease on the choke tubes works the best.

14. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

+3 for Kroil. Amazing stuff!

15. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Heat the barrel and melt some bee's wax into the threads. When all else fails.
    Old Millwright trick on rusted threads. As motordoc said above crayon or candles work as a second choice.

Big Jack

16. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Best way I have found to unfreeze a choke tube is to freeze it.
    After frozen metal will usually separate enough to remove tube.

17. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

At work we made wood boxes to place around large bearings on fan shafts we would fill with dry ice. this would shrink the shaft enough to drive off the bearing.

18. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

After a similar experience with a frozen tube I now remove my chokes after each day of shooting...no worries...

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have used CMD grease used liberally on my choke tubes, it is also non-rusting grease, it doesn't allow any gases to get in the threads, I spread it up and down the tube and into the threads, and have never had any stuck/rusted tubes, it is a small investment and I feel the best choke tube lube on the Market bar none.

And then I wipe off the excess.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Interesting comments. I have had several brought to me that I could not get out. Tried heating, soaking, wrenches and several other things. I am interested in the freezing deal. My question is: If the barrel with the choke installed is frozen, won't BOTH barrel and choke shrink together? Result? No Luck. I know that tapered shafts and holes are better fitted with freezing the pin and warming the part with the hole makes a fit that when polished can't be seen. BUT, these are heated and frozen separately. How do you control this?