1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unfired Primer Advice..

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pb, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pb

pb TS Member

After five or six years of reloading I had a box of misfit shells to cut open and reclaim the lead and powder. The question is what so you do with the live primers? Can I use a MEC deprimer to punch them out or is that a bad idea? If I do punch them out then what so I do with them? I don’t know how to get rid of an explosive hazard like primers………

Thanks,

Jon

2. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

thats how I do it ,,use the old mec 600 jr.

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I don't let duds accumulate. I usually take care of them when I have 5 or six. I empty the hulls with a shell cutter. I clamp an old Mossberg barrel in my vise with the muzzle pointed down into a 5 gallon bucket of water and, wearing gloves, eye and ear protection, I put the base of the hull into the chamber and ignite the primer with a 3/8" transfer punch and a small hammer. I used to punch out the primers and soak soak them in oil or WD-40 until I found out that they are still live after more than a week of that treatment. I don't try to reuse the primers because most are distorted by the removal process.

Morgan

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

Many people reclaim primers. If you decide to do it, set up a barrier between the shell and your eyes or wear a full face shield. Heavy duty gloves would be a good idea too. For me, it is not worth the risk of a possible accident so I do not bother.

You cannot "kill" primers with 100% reliability by dumping them in water, oil, WD40, diesel fuel etc etc. You need to chamber the remains of the shell and fire it.

I take mine to a club that has a "dud" bucket and let them handle it.

Don

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I just ease them out with a Mec loader. I have done hundreds this way over the years. If you do it on any of the mecs with the collet sizer the only place for the blast to go( If it did go off) is into the punch when it is fully inside the case. I really don't see the danger but I suppose the handwringers won't agree with me. Jeff

6. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I've deprimed hundreds of 'em on a MEC 600. And re-used them too, no problem. But yeah, wear your safety glasses while doing it if it'll ease your mind.

7. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

I'll second Fritzi93, I used a Sizemaster. It is easy to do on the single stage presses. I am gentle with them and try to use minimum pressure necessary for removal, all have not failed to ignite.

Mike

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've been cheating too for over 45 years. Never had one go off yet but who knows what tomorrow holds. Best to wear glasses and go easy during punchout!!

9. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Being kinda thoughtless (clueless?), I have reclaimed hundreds of primers using a MEC Grabber (or Sizemaster)...punch them out them put them in another hull. I don't punch them out...use slow, even, steady pressure. Guess I have been living on the "edge" but always use eye protection anyway. Best Regards, Ed

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I too have deprimed live primers for many years by just running it carefully through the MEC. By that time the hull is cut in two, wad removed, and powder in the tomatoes. Never had one fire while gently easing it out with the de-prime station.....Bob Dodd

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I push them out and use then in another shell. A primer requires a sharp blow to detonate. This topic has been discussed several times on this site. Last Fall, I crushed several primers in a vice and demonstrated that they will not go off when doing this. Several other readers repeated my experiment and got the same results.

But, letting a lot of loose live primers fall into a metal container under the press could be dangerous. Pushing the primer is safe, but a falling primer on a loose pile of other primers could be dangerous. There is a very good reason why primer manufactures ship primers to us in a case that isolates each individual primer. If primers were shipped loose in a bottle like aspirins are shipped, the Post Office would have some excitement now and trapshooting would finally get noticed by local newspapers.

Pat Ireland

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When loading military 223 brass I was pressing primers into the shell with a Lee priming tool. Some were a tight fit and I pressed a little harder and bang. Never did that again. Very scarey. HMB

13. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

Like Pat I just deprime the hull, and use the primer again. I do empty the catch tray first, so the deprimed primer is the only one in it. So I can find it. I have done this for many years.

Jerry Walker

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I cut the shell apart with one of those slick wooden shell-cutter tools and recover the shot. Then I put on my ear protection, put the half-shell in a gun and fire.

I wouldn't worry about removing a live primer. But I don't. I just apply the motto I find so useful in this and other realms: "What's the worst thing that can happen if I do this and what's the worst thing that can happen if I don't? " A primer is worth a couple of cents, isn't it? So if you get 50 you save a buck, 200 and you can buy a latte. I just skip the latte.

Neil

15. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I think Neil's "what's the worst" question is my new rule. I've deprimed rifle, pistol & shotgun primers for untold years, and reused them. I've never had one fail to work in reuse. The only time I've had detonations was with some old swaged-in WWII military 30-06's. You can actually push those out, "most" of the time; about 5% will detonate, perhaps from the force applied or the friction of the deprime rod as it crushes the compound. About 10% refuse to be pushed, and the decapper pierces the primer, without detonation. Yes, perhaps dumb. I wore face-shield and heavy gloves. I'd never do that again, because there's then no safe way to dispose of the primers once deprimed. I've found you cannot deactivate primers with any liquids, they must be fired as Morgan and Neil do it. But if doing that, wear earmuffs and have adequate ventilation. Phil E

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Rifle and pistol primers would be decapped with pressure on the anvil directly. That can cause a serious problem with a high risk for detonation, since the anvil comes in contact with the primer pellet. A shotshell primer is a different construction with a steel shell that would be the contact point for the decapping pin. The anvil is not usually disturbed unless undue pressure is applied. It's not quite as hazardous as the rifle and pistol primers, but there still is a risk.

17. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

I was working on a gun in the shop and wanted to release the trigger so, I picked up a empty hull and used that. Only problem was I didn't notice the hull had been primed. I pulled the trigger and the primer went off. Scared the you know what out of me. It took me a few minutes to figure out what had happened. Just another of my less than brilliant episodes. Neil, you are probably right. It would be better to fire them.

Jerry Walker

18. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

I cut the shells open, reclaim the shot, powder, wad and press the primers out slowly with an old Mec. I keep a few half shells with just primers in my shooting vest pocket in case I get a bad shell and the wad sticks. I just put the half shell with primer in the barrel, close the action, pull the trigger and out pops the wad. No real pressure & Better than carrying a wad knocker.

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

A primer sure blacks the barrel so make sure and clean it after firing just a primer! Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can live primers be punched out of a mec reloader

empty cartridge unfired primer disposal

how to reclaim unfired primers

punching out unfired primer