1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unexpected best breakfast I ever had

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I woke up this morning and asked my wife if she wanted bacon and eggs for breakfast? She said just a couple of pieces of bacon.

I got out my cast iron skillet and sliced off some thick bacon and cooked it up. Tasted good, but then my wife said your friend droped off a package yesterday for you and he said it would be something that you would like.

She suggested I fry it up while I had the bacon drippings already in the pan and we can have what we thought was thinly sliced breaded chicken for lunch with rice.

I opened the package and it looked like thin slices of lightly breaded chicken breast. I said to myself why in the h--- would he drop over breaded chicken breast? What's so special about that? Plus he must be the cheapest bas---- I know because they were sliced so thin.

So I had the hot bacon drippings and put the 7 pieces of what I thought was thinly sliced chicken breast and cooked them to a golden brown. I than sprinkeled some salt and cracked pepper on them and placed them in a paper plate with paper towling to drain them.

As I am sitting at the table looking at what I thought was chicken, I saw a piece that broke off in half and I could not believe it.

Long story short my friend went ice fishing yesterday and caught Bluegills. He filet them and brought over some for me.

It was like Christmas morning, as I sliced up a lemon as sparks were flying off my knive and fork. Lord in heaven, I thought what an unexpected surprise. I can't tell you how good this breakfast was.

My wife get's out of bed and walks into the kitchen and said where is the chicken? I said it was fish not chicken. My wife hates fish and said well than you can eat that for lunch over the next few days.

I can not tell you how good it was. Freshly caught Wisconsin Bluegills for breakfast. The only thing that could have made it better was sitting by a lake and frying them up over a camp fire.

It was like dying and going to heaven. Anyone out there that can top the breakfast that I just had? I highly doubt it.
    Steve Balistreri

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Well just about any breakfast at the Waffle House can.

Eric

3. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Awesome, just awesome,?I

Waffle house what a joke.

I love blue gills, even better than perch, although they are good, and you don't have to look to hard to catch them.

Give your friend my address in case he has any others he needs to get rid of.

Kenny U.

4. bz5119

bz5119 Member

I love sunfish for breakfast, especially winter fish. You've got a nice friend!

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Bluegills caught through the ice are heavenly

6. senior smoke

I just called my friend from my mom's house and thanked him. I told him that I thought he gave me thinly sliced breaded chicken breast. He said I thought you knew me better than that?

I asked him how many did he catch yesterday? His reply was enough! That tells me he had a very good day.

He asked me if I wanted to go with him today? I just happen to have a license, but no Beaver Dam tip ups or ice fishing rod and reel. He said just come and keep me company, as he has all the equipment.

It should be in the 30's today and he said the other thing that concerns him is my weight on the ice with me on it. I said don't you have mirrors in your house as you also look like your in your third trimester.

Going ice fishing today for Bluegills. He said bring your little Weber grill so we can eat. He said he has the beer. I think I will have a very good day.
    Steve

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Sounds like fun, bluegills are my fav, with crappie right behind them

We have 4 ponds on our place, the big one I stocked with bass cats and crappie, but they all have blue gills in them I guess the eggs must stick on the heron's legs or something, because they got there somehow, and the ponds were dry when I dug them

One time after we dug the ig pond my wife was fishing in one of the smaller ones and caught a bluegill that was so big it had to curve around in the 5 gallon bucket it was in, I said yum that's what is for supper

She said no it's full of eggs I am going to put it in the big pond, I asked her how in the he$% do you know it's full of eggs, she just said women can sense those things

She might have been right because we have a good crop of blue gills in the big pond

8. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Perch fry at my house last night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Rick,,,,,that's not nice,,,,but I bet delicious.......

10. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Waffle House bacon, tastes good, but sliced so thin it's only got one side!

11. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

When we were teenagers, my older brother and I would spend the summers in our maternal grandparent's farm, which happen to be along the coastline. We'd get up early in the morning and with Grandpa, walk to a nearby mountain and hunt wild pigeons using .22s. When we get back to the farm, Grandma would cook them for us, along with lobsters and prawns, bacon, sausages & eggs for brunch. These with lots of tropical fruits and fresh coconut wine was like dying and going to heaven. Grandma: she spoiled us like nobody could. Chichay

12. senior smoke

I got back from Ice fishing and between us we caught around 20 fish. Mostly Bluegills, 1 pumpkinseed, and 1 perch. We ate them while on the Ice and they were really good. It got to be in the low 40's and was a little nervous seeing water puddling up on the ice. I was told that the ice was anywhere from 4 to 7 inches. Over all, great day.
    Steve

Rick:
    Perch is also one of my very favorite fish to eat.
    Steve

APrice:
    I wish you could see her bush that crowds my lot line. Maybe you could trim it for her.
    Steve

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Perch are like walleye but you can catch tons of them

Bluegill are like crawfish- you might burn more calories catching them and cleaning them than you get from the eating--lol

Regards from Iowa

Gene

14. ipscmaster

ipscmaster Member

Someone who has never had Bluegills on a camp fire has no idea how good your breakfast was. Carolina Bluegills on a camp fire(or any kind of fire) is a little piece of heaven. I am envious..... Bill Crane

15. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

A couple of years back myself, a friend and our guide caught 150 crappies in 5 hours. We kept 75 of them and I ate them for several meals. Cold water fall crappies, all of the keepers were between 11-14" they were delicious!!!!

16. ABH

ABH Member

As a kid growing up in NJ,my dad and I would go fishing almost every weekend. We would catch just about every kind of fish that swam in Jersey lakes and fry them up about once a week. My dad had a cast iron frying pan that had to weigh 15 lbs. He would take out the old Colman stove and fry the fish and corn bread with onions mixed in,in our back yard.My dad and I always felt that bluegills were the best tasting fresh water fish there is. I really miss him and those "Good old days". ART H.

17. senior smoke

Truth be told I only caught 6 of the 20 fish yesterday. Mostly they were the size of my hand, and I have small hands. Up north in some lakes here in Wisconsin they have Bluegills almost the size of a car visor.

Here in the Milwaukee area we have many Friday fish frys. You can purchase Perch at extra cost at some resturants, but I have never seen or heard about resturants offering Bluegills.

When I was a kid most restutants offered Haddock or Perch, but nowadays most in my area offer Cod. I have Empire fish company a few blocks away from my home. I plan to see if they sell Bluegills or Perch tomorrow.

Only problem is my wife does not really like fish that much. I am so chickened out as every resturant on Earth seems to have so much chicken on their menu.

When I was a kid we ate probably more Pork and Beef than chicken. My parents loved Liver and Onions and to me biting into liver was like bitting into mud. Some resturants even offer Liver and onions on the menu. If I was a health inspector any resturant that offered Liver and onions would be closed down as I hate that dish.

PLEASE, don't tell me there is any one out there that likes Liver and onions. By the way, my mother who is in her 80's told me that the local butcher would give away liver to people for their cats when she was a kid.
    Steve

18. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

A year ago, I tried Liver & Onions for the 1st time in my life. I was 33 at the time. A local diner I eat lunch at had it on special. I asked for a sampling to see if I wanted a whole plate, or if I wanted a BLT. I tried a bite, and I ordered the BLT. Yuck!

19. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

For those that don't like fish, try them rolled in cracker crumbs and fried in bacon fat. If that doesn't work, they don't have a pulse.

20. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

Don't much care for ice fishing (guess I'm getting too old and easily cold)but blue gills on light fly fishing tackel in May and June (or any warm day) is great fun. Surface strikes on small Cork Poppers are alot of fun. Action all day. Fish fry food at night and the possibility of a Large Mouth Bass hitting out of nowhere keeps me comming back every year... Tight lines!!

Jerry P. Felice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.