1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unemployment

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by otnot, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otnot

otnot Active Member

This interactive map really brought home just how bad things have become.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9ssIhiD8kKM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9ssIhiD8kKM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Jim

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Whoah, good thing I moved to Kansas, although it's hitting here now, too.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    This is not a serious recession. It is a mild depression. But the Chocolate Bolshevik will never admit that.

4. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

chocolate bolshevik......how funny

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Four comments on the current economic downturn:

1. Where I live in Louisville, KY there is still a rush hour and traffic congestion, lots of people in malls shopping, 55,000 people (a sellout)watched the University of Kentucky beat the University of Louisville and most restaurants have plenty of customers. Money is being spent.

2. Retirees are not looking for work and are spending accumulated pension and savings wealth. There are more retirees than any time in history. Retirees are keeping the economy afloat.

3. Housing speculation and unrealistic mortgage terms are the primary cause of the current recession. Housing will remain at diminished levels for years to come as there are lots of existing homes and fewer people with the capacity to buy. As current retirees die off and their houses come into the market, the need for additional housing will be reduced.

4. Risk taking is encouraged by the prospect of financial gain. The Democratic philosophy of spreading the wealth and only taxing the rich is wrong. Capital has to be concentrated and not diminished. If you want to plow a field, you need a tractor and not 10,000 chickens.

This is still a great nation and we will recover. The recovery will start in November.

Ed Ward

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I always thought 5% unemployment was considered fully employment... even at 9% unemployment, we still have 91% of everyone working.

Jay

7. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Remember the chattering from the dems and the media when unemployment was approaching 5% during the Bush presidency?

Look at it now.

8. otnot

otnot Active Member

The problem with the numbers that the government uses for unemployment is, that they dont' take into their formula,people who no longer are looking for work,people who can't recieve unemployment(out of benefits)and people who are working less than 40 hours and finally people who are on welfare. The real number of Americans who are not working is closer to 23%. Hell 45 million people are on food stamps.

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

A fitting post for Labor Day...the day when the Chocolate Bolshevik announced he's going to do Eisenhower all over again, and promise 50 Billion worth of infrastructure dollars (we don't have) to his Labor Union construction cronies. "Want to donate to my election campaign? Dial 1-800-North Pole."

Santa's back in town, Baby...and he wants your vote.

The American People feel "entitled" to prosperity. When it's taken away, they get mad.

And why not? Since WW2, things have been pretty good in America. Folks my grandparents' age can remember hard times when they didn't have much.
    But for the most part, those of us age 60 and younger have had it comparatively easy.

Now, we've shipped a bunch of good jobs away, and we have 20 million unemployed and no idea what to do with them. The people who make macroeconomic decisions don't have the interests of these little people at heart - so now, we're going to have ourselves a little "pitchfork rebellion" in November.

But what will it change? The Government is a toggle switch that only has two positions - "Party A" and "Party B." When the prosperity people feel entitled to has been taken away, they get pist off, vote out Party A, and replace them with Party B. A couple years later, when the prosperity hasn't returned, they reach up and flip the toggle switch back the other way, and re-install Party A.

...Rinse, lather, repeat.

There is no, I repeat absolutely no, intellectual component to what they are doing. (If there was, the idiots wouldn't have elected Obama in the first place). No, the American public is perpetually stuck in the position of a frog who jumps back and forth between one hot frying pan and another, trying to find some relief.

It ain't coming. We're going to celebrate a big victory in November...but remember, it means nothing. The public has not embraced conservatism in 2010, any more than it embraced liberalism in 2008. It's just a wounded animal, flitting back and forth between two painful places trying to find comfort. The basic economic problems will remain unresolved, and not even the Republicans can fix it. They are better than Obama's bolsheviki, but make no mistake, no solutions are coming from Washington.

And don't give me that crap about how the American public has been "awakened" by Obama's excesses. We said the same thing after Clinton. I'm not having any of it. The knee-jerk toggle-switch mentality of the American public is just too stubbornly hard-wired.

Mark my words - in two years, the Republicans will be SHARING the blame for the economy, and those stupid independent voters will put Obama right back in the White House again.

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

On the amount of people working, those numbers do not take into consideration those who used to make $100K that are now working for $20K. All those people who are just scraping buy are not putting any money out for new cars, homes, vacations, etc. The retirees are still in a bubble from the past. The fact that a federal judge has excused Chrysler from paying the pensions from those who locked in their pensions but are still to young for retirement is troublesome. That is money that will not be going into the economy and all those men will be needing jobs (or welfare) until they die. Chrysler pensions are not the only ones that will not be there. Merrill Lynch and the Federal Government stole $270K from my 401k. Don't tell me that money is coming back, most of the funds are belly up, never to return. When this last round of baby boomers gets to old to work, the government will have to kill us to make the problem go away. OH WAIT! Obama health care already has provision for that!

11. otnot

otnot Active Member

There will be no recovery until we bring our manufacturing base back to our country. Since 1980 we have exported 80% of our manufacturing jobs out of our country. Leaving us with a service oriented economy. How can you have an economic recovery when you make nothing? Our debt ratio to GDP is nearing 90% and will be 100% by 2014. Sounds like Greece doesn't it! This the new world order that every president since Eisenhower has talked about was only meant to redistribute the wealth from the USA to other less deserving countries.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rd8wwMFmCeE?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rd8wwMFmCeE?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

otnot...

The "Military-Industrial Complex" he warns us of in that video (are you sure you posted the right one?) is one of the biggest repositories of American manufacturing know-how still in existence. If it weren't for that...we'd have even less jobs than we do.

But rest assured, if there's a way to have the Chinese manufacture our bombs for us...I'm sure we'll find a way to try it out.

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

The Chinese already make our boots and hats. I still have a brand new set of Bates officers dress shoes, made in the good old USA. I bought them at the PX years ago. When I bought them, I never knew they would be rare some day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.