1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Understanding Shotgun Stocks by Jeff Meloy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

BOOK REVIEW...Just because I want to share a new book I found value in.

The full title is "Understanding Shotgun Stocks for better shooting". I received my copy yesterday and finished it last evening - and started again today. Jeff Meloy does a service to all shotgun shooters - especially those who seem to fixate on every detail about fit and those (like me) who believe every tip they hear from "the experts at the club". He even puts a lid on the mania over patterning, which has a place, but not nearly as critical as I have thought.

I must admit that I was initially irritated with the content and style. Meloy would write about a point, then back away and take a turn. Don't think I'm negative about his writing skills, just how the content seemed to be taing both sides of an issue - and showing how neither side is correct. If Jeff Meloy is correct,the vast majority of what I have "learned" over the few years I've been trying to real 25 straight my be - dare I say it - wrong? This is very good news.

Except for the very best shooters (the ones who make a living at it) the intricacies and specific of gun fit an patterning are excessive. Breaking clays is important and we all want to break more, but a sixteenth of an inch here or a bend there won't help most of us. One key point stands out for me, "...everyone's Horizontal POI must be dead-on...there's nothing left to change except Vertical POI." Fitting is done to make sure the pattern isn't left or right of the aim point (horizontal POI). The vertical POI is a matter of personal preference. This is the condensed version I get from Meloy. The book as a whole explains, describes, and demonstrates how.

I now KNOW why I shoot my SxS well on skeet and sporting clays and why I suck when I try to use it for trap.

Thanks, Jeff Meloy, for a good explanation of stock fitting and shotgun shooting. Certainly, better shooters will find faults, but I'm delighted with my purchase.

Larry

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Larry I have a question: Does the author ever mention the word "offset" and/or have an explanation of who it applies to ?

3. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Yes, miketmx, there is a section where he talks about OFFSET. One section is titles, "Tilted head indicates insufficient comb offset". There are also discussions of cast, elsewhere in the book.

Larry

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I know Jeff as he shoots at my club. He knows what he's talking about and can back up his findings with imperical data. In case you're wondering he is an AA shooter.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
meloy understanding shotgun stocks

understanding shotgun stocks for better shooting

understanding shotgun stocks meloy